Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Folks,

A couple of months ago I assembled 100 rounds of 255 gr LSWC bullets in my starline brass using fiocchi LPP, behind 19gr of Alliant 2400.

I didn't get through I cylinder full of ammo. A couple of hang fires; one bullet lodged into the forcing cone (easily removed), then another bullet lodged midway into the barrel. Yes, I stopped at each round to check the bore and remove the stuck bullet.

There was a lot of unburnt powder just behind the base of the bullet. The bullet that was stuck midway into the bore needed to be tapped out using a 3/8" drill rod and hammer.

I'm not sure if the culprit was the age of my powder. I had this 2400 in my closet (indoor, temp controlled) for almost 27 yrs. I previously used it almost that long ago in my 357 reloads and it worked. The powder didn't look degraded.

I was able to assemble around 30 rounds using my old powder, then 70 rounds using my new 8 lb jug of 2400.

I'm just scratching my head--how unlucky could I have been that I picked 6 rounds from my box of bullets and all of these have been loaded with the older powder?

I pulled the rest of my bullets and discarded the powder. I don't have any more of that old lot laying around.

Now comes to my question, I'd like to try this load again on my SRH 454. Will it work this time?

Was the hangfire incident due to the old powder or was this just a bad load? I was following John Linebaugh's recs and have seen this recipe in other load books.

I'd appreciate you input and expertise.

Thanks in advance!

BTW: been reloading since 1991. Never had this happen in the 10's of thousands of rounds I have reloaded.

·
Registered
50 Posts
You started loading about the same time as I did. COOL

I would go for bad powder, I do not load 45 Colt but that should have been towards the higher end of the Colt loads so it should have been fine. That is about what I put in my 44 loads.

Quick load says you should have had a 88% case fill and 30K pressure, way above SAAMI specs. of course, but no place close to 454 levels.

I had some winchester powder (metal can) that was at least 25 years old I tried to use up last year. It had some rust on it but looked and smelled fine. One round was light and then the next was full power. After about 10 of them I unloaded the rest and threw the powder into the wood burner for a nice fire ball.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I've never used Fiochi primers...any problems with them in other calibers? For the most part I use Winchesters which are fairly hard, but do load with Federals which have a softer cup for my Sig 9mm's.

Other things to check: primers must be seated to the bottom of the cup, bottomed out..If not, the hammer blow must take up this add'l space before crushing the primer anvil.

Check the hang fire cases for a uniform, normal looking firing pin detente. This ties into my comment about seating primers bottomed out. A light looking firing pin detente is indicative of high primers.

Lastly, I don't thing the powder is suspect unless....it's been stored in non-normal conditions...a 120 degree garage is not suitable for example. 2400 is easy to ignite and does not require magnum primers to light off.

YMMv & HTH's Rod

·
Registered
432 Posts
In my humble opinion, lacking any signs of powder deterioration I would be more inclined to think that a 'large' dose of 2400 should normally be ignited with a magnum primer. No idea where you are located but around here it was pretty cold about two months ago, another reason to try the magnum primers.

Bruce

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Why 2400 in a 45 Colt. Put some Unique in there, use Federal, Win, CCI, Rem primers and have fun. Save the 2400 for .357 and .44 Mag.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I would have tried a different primer, CCI, Federal in a magnum variation with that much powder to ignite before I blamed the powder for not lighting up.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I would have tried a different primer, CCI, Federal in a magnum variation with that much powder to ignite before I blamed the powder for not lighting up.
G. Freeman ....
Could be a combination of the old (hard to ignite) powder and primer (not the hottest ) combined up to cause the problem .
The new powder and a known primer like CCI should do the trick.
A quick check of the RCBS Cast Bullet Reloading Manual #1 shows :

A Ruger and Contender Only 45 colt / 255 gr. cast LSWC
start load of *15.9 grs. 2400 @ 1126 fps
max. load of *17.9 grs. 2400 @ 1262 fps

* indicates the use of CCI #350 Magnum Primer

If you are using 19.0 grains , be careful and you might want to go with a magnum primer .
Double check your 19.0 gr./2400 data ...that may be a hot load
Gary

·
Registered
327 Posts
I had the same issue when loading some midrange 2400 loads for my 357mag. I moved up to magnum primers and the problem disappeared.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Guys,
Thanks for the input. To answer your questions and clarify:

Have been using Starline 45LC brass.

Fiocchi LPP fit snugly and has worked well in all my 45 ACP and standard 45LC loads.

I have been shooting the same bullet but previously with 7.5-8.5 grs of Unique with no probs.

I got the load info from John Linebaugh's website and is the low end of the range. John Taffin's load for his Dan Wesson 45LC start at 20 grs of 2400, but uses Fed 150 primers.

Dan Wesson 45 Colt
https://www.johnlinebaughcustomsixguns.com/writings

Speer Manual #13 lists the load for a 260 gr JHP (ruger loads) with 2400 using a std primer, 16-18 grs. I guess I'm close, but

This is really a very interesting situation. For my next shooting session I think I will load only a few rounds and go from there.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
447 Posts
2400 does not need a magnum primer, but with 19grs. it might be advisable. Still, I would have thought the bullet would have made it out of the barrel. I've shot 25 yr. old 2400 and it performed just fine, but I had stored it in a smaller bottle. In my experience, Blackhawks don't have many misfires even if the primers aren't fully seated (they come stock with a 40# hammer spring), but the umph a primer delivers is somewhat proportional to the umph of the hammer (there is a relatively recent post for IOWEGEAN on this). I have no idea if a few primers weren't seated fully (I have more trouble fully seating primers in 45 Colt than any other cartridge) but, along with old powder, it is another variable. Sprinkle your old powder on your flowers and use magnum primers for really heavy loads.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
I shot 18g 2400 under 255g SWC no problem when I tested this load in large frame BH. My notes don't say anything about hang fires. I tested with CCI-300, CCI-350, and WLP primers The standard primer had the lowest ES. That was my experience with 2400 and the .45 Colt as I've never loaded any .45 Colt 2400 loads since then. I've had no problem seating primers either. Same as any other cartridge. I do use a hand primer tool though for all my reloads. FYI, I've never used Fiochi primers for any reloads.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I have shot LOTS of 2400 in several calibers including 45 Colt. Never had a hangfire never used magnum primers. Alliant does not recommend magnum primers for 2400 in and data I have ever looked at. IMO unnecessary for this powder. I always go with the manufacturers recommendations when in doubt.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hello Folks,
Just to want to give an update. I loaded a few rounds with my new container of alliant 2400 with Fiocchi std primers (19.5, 20, and 20.5 grs). In the first 3 rounds, I had 1 hangfire, and the last bullet lodged in the barrel.

The following week, went back to square one and loaded 12 rounds each in 19, 19.5, and 20 grs of 2400, this time with Fed Lrg Pistol Mag. All went off beautifully. (had to purchase the primers locally since I don't stock these)

Large Magnum Primers with 2400 from this point on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Check your crimp. If it is not tight enough you might see the bullet pushed forward and then there isn’t enough pressure to get the powder to burn.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Hello Folks,
Just to want to give an update. I loaded a few rounds with my new container of alliant 2400 with Fiocchi std primers (19.5, 20, and 20.5 grs). In the first 3 rounds, I had 1 hangfire, and the last bullet lodged in the barrel.

The following week, went back to square one and loaded 12 rounds each in 19, 19.5, and 20 grs of 2400, this time with Fed Lrg Pistol Mag. All went off beautifully. (had to purchase the primers locally since I don't stock these)

Large Magnum Primers with 2400 from this point on.
So the common component with all the duds seem to be the Fiocchi primers.
Or did I miss read some how?

·
Registered
798 Posts
I vote old powder. I have never used magnum primers with any 2400 use even in magnums per Alliants own data. I guess you can if you feel like you have to but it is not necessary based on the Alliant data and my burning 2400 for like 40 years. No hangfires, misfires, squibs, or any problems. I have used all sorts of primers. I shoot 2400 in my 45 Colts quite often not 19 grains but not to far away. they work great.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hello Folks sorry for late reply. In my case the issue wasn't old powder, because the hang fires occurred even with a new batch of powder. The Fiocchi primers were not defective. In my case, it appears this load needed a magnum primer.

I have done an exhaustive interweb search. It appears that some folks have experienced the same issues--using 2400, with ruger-only loads, and std large pistol primers. The solution in this situation is use a magnum primer instead, or of course, use a different powder. But in my case, I'm stuck with an 8# bottle of 2400 that I needed to use.

Had another range visit this past weekend. It was a real blast using my current load. After tinkering for several months, I'm glad to have found the proper combination.

Hope this helps! Thanks also for all your input.

·
Registered
424 Posts
2400 in my 45 colt is my go to powder for hunting. The most accurate load and requires a standard primer like CCI 500. No other powder comes close to it for full power loads otherwise I use Unique and PowerPistol for plinking loads.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts