Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using alliant 2400 for my 158gr 357 loads. but I can't find it know. So I can get 8lbs of 300-mp but I've never used it before. with the 2400 there is a large range from min to max load data. the few reloading books that I have does not list the 300-mp powder. the alliant web site only the max load for 158gr bullet. has any used this powder {300-mp} yet? I guess it is a fairly new powder. any info that you could give would be nice to have. thanks for the help. TOMD1943

·
Registered
420 Posts
I don't know anything about this powder. When I was forced to find a replacement for Unique when I couldn't find any my LGS recommended CFE Pistol. I went to the distributer's website and got the reload info I needed.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I have used the 300-MP in the 357 mag. I really do like it. It is similar to Winchester 296 both in burning rate and load data. I have used it in JSP and JHP for both 125 grain and 158 grain loads. It is a slow burning powder and should be treated as such as slow is not good for everything. I started at 10% below the max listed by Alliant and worked up some until I had primers showing pressure signs. I am shooting it mostly in a Ruger GP100 with a 6" barrel. I am skeptical of the extremely high velocities listed on the Alliant web site. However, I will say that it definitely yields a high velocity load. :) The 125 grain jacketed loads shoot lower than any of my SWC loads that are listed at 1400 fps. Fast 125 grain loads usually shoot lower, I have read, because their speed gets them out of the barrel before recoil moves the point of impact up. I don't know. The 300-MP loads are accurate. The 158 JHP loads are serious Magnum loads and have the recoil and blast to prove it. :) When they are shot into 1 gal milk jugs filled with water it is apparent they are moving on. :D
I have not loaded them with any other bullets. I would not be afraid to load them with 158 grain SWC HI-Tec bullets, but I am very happy with Accurate #9 for them, and on occasion 14.5 grains of W296. In the past I have been a big fan of 2400. I have not been able to find it and Accurate #9 is close. I like the CFE Pistol in 9mm and 40 S&W but have only loaded a few test loads in 357. For most of my shooting I try to use medium to medium-slow burn rate powders. They work best for me and are best for my guns.
I hesitate to mention it, but I failed to notice the load data listed standard primers. I worked up my loads with magnum primers, so I have stayed with them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I love 300MP in 480 Ruger.
Used it in 357 mag as well as in 44 mag.
Haven't fired the 44s yet, that's actually tonight's little project.

I love this stuff, but treat it as you would H110 / 296. No light plinking loads.
One thing that I dis-like about 300MP, is the fact that it meters like crap in my Lee Perfect Powder Measure. It's so fine, it just brings the mechanism to a grinding halt...
2400 works like a boss in both my guns and reloading equipment, but doesn't yield as much oomph.

So for me, 300MP is only used in small batches of "I'm gonna kill something" ammo.
Be it defensive or hunting use. :)

Hope this helps.

Another note, in the 480 300 runs extremely clean, virtually no residue. Which is nice :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
300MP is a good powder, I've got ~4lbs of it and it's very similar to H110/W296 although it's a little slower, as max charge weights will exceed those of H110.

I've used it in .357 Mag, .41 Mag and 454 Casull with good results, often times it burns very clean too. Probably the cleanest I've noticed so far is with the 454, running a 300 XTP to 1450 from my 5" Toklat, cases were super clean and consistency was phenomenal.

Of those three cartridges I've messed with the .357 the least using 300MP but I've got some more loaded up (140gr and 158gr XTP's) to try out. Looking over a Handloader pdf file they show 17.0 -18.5gr of 300MP with a 158gr jacketed (18.5gr @ 1400 fps from 6" GP100) and 16.5 - 18.5gr with hardcast (18.5gr @ 1550 fps from 6" GP100 showing single digit extreme spreads).

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
I don't know anything about this powder. When I was forced to find a replacement for Unique when I couldn't find any my LGS recommended CFE Pistol. I went to the distributer's website and got the reload info I needed.
I am using it (CFE Pistol) also in 9mm & .45 acp with excellent results.

It worked well in .380 acp, but TiteGroup was a little better, accuracy wise.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
I've been using alliant 2400 for my 158gr 357 loads. but I can't find it know. So I can get 8lbs of 300-mp but I've never used it before. with the 2400 there is a large range from min to max load data. the few reloading books that I have does not list the 300-mp powder. the alliant web site only the max load for 158gr bullet. has any used this powder {300-mp} yet? I guess it is a fairly new powder. any info that you could give would be nice to have. thanks for the help. TOMD1943
TOMD1943, Alliant has load data for 300-MP online for the bullet weight you mentioned & will also send you an excellent hard copy book for free if you request it on their website.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
alliant pp 300mp

moakes58, sent in request to alliant for the book last week. wish they would give data for a 6 inch barreled revolver instead for a 10 inch one. thanks for the info though. TOMD 1943

·
Registered
97 Posts
Your velocity will just be a little less.
Or a lot less, depending on your barrel length.
In my 6" GP-100, I chronographed the 158 gr Hornady FTP at 1378 fps, or about 300 fps slower than Alliant lists for their 10 inch test barrel. Why on earth would they use a 10" test barrel? (Other than to mislead the many who are too lazy to read the fine print.)
It is still a fine powder, giving top velocity and very good accuracy. It does use slightly heavier powder charges to gain maybe 50 fps over W-296/H-110, in my experience, according to my chronograph.

·
Registered
47 Posts
At first I was greatly disappointed in results with 300-MP, but have since discovered

that it is much like H110 in working better with max charges. Alliant's website date is

actually a bit weak, Hornady has higher max charges and this powder worked much

better at those levels. Performance was above average in 44 Magnum with 240gr XTP

through Ruger Super Red Hawk 7 1/2". Be sure to use magnum primers.

Would I take 300-MP as primary powder for magnum loads? No, it just doesn't perform as

well as H110 or AA #9 in MY pistols. Would I buy it if it's on sale? Absolutely.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts