Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to load 357mag 158gr gdhp. the alliant web site standard small pistol primers NOT mag primers. I've been loading with alliant 2400 using standard small primers. they seem to shoot ok. but I don"t know about using them with blue dot. any one here use blue dot for 357 and what primers do you use. all info would be nice to get. thanks in advance. TOMD1943

·
Registered
134 Posts
All the info is,

Your SPP will work fine for blue dot, You do not need a mag primer.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I loaded up a handful of 158s last year with Blue Dot and I used regular SP primers. They all worked. I remember being unimpressed with Blue Dot, but my notes are at home and well...

·
Registered
803 Posts
I use a lot of Blue Dot in the 357 and never use anything but standard primers. In fact I seem to recall the Alliant web site says not to use magnum primers with Blue Dot. In my loads which are straight out of the Alliant web site I have never seen any need for anything stronger. It shoots good and burns clean. Blue Dot is an economical low end magnum powder IMO.

·
Registered
139 Posts
NO mag primers needed with Blue Dot .

·
Super Moderator
21,697 Posts
I shot a lot of Blue Dot behind 158 gr JHP's and have gotten decent accuracy with it. My 6" Security Six (which I traded away) was excellent with a max load at 25 yards. I only used SPP's no mags.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all the replies. I was using alliant 2400 with ssp with good results. ran out of it now I've got blue dot. was just making sure with the primers. I called alliant to ask for there reloading guide it will be sent out today. again thanks for your help. TOMD1943

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
For what it's worth:
I will use Blue Dot for use ONLY in my Henry rifle from now on. In my 6" GP100 I get a LOT of unburned powder grains (Blue Dot is a slower-burning powder). When I tried it in the Henry, the barrel is long enough to burn all the powder. But never again will I use it in a revolver. And, that's always behind a 158 grain .357 bullet.

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
I liked 8.5g Blue Dot under 158g SWC which was 1162fps out of 6 1/2" barrel. Marked as very accurate in my table. No experience with jacketed bullets though as I never use 'em. I don't recall the 'unburnt' powder problem either, but then I really don't care as long as the load is 'accurate'. YMMV of course.

·
Registered
90 Posts
TOMD1943 Now I always use Small Pistol Magnum Primers with 2400 because it is a slower burning powder than Blue Dot in 357 & 41 Remington Magnum to make sure I get a complete burn of all the powder. Now in 10MM I use standard Large Pistol Primers with a 180 Gr JHP and Blue Dot

·
Registered
541 Posts
Today GONRA testfired my .45 Winchester Magnum caliber AMT and Grizzley
semiauto pistols with my Prize Winning Handloads:
Starline new brass, 18.0 grains Blue Dot powder, Winchester Large Pistol primers,
230 grain FMJ bullets, 1.575 inch OAL.
Shoots / functions perfectly....

20.0 grains Blue Dot , 185 gn. bullets. 1.504 inch OAL function Just Fine too.
(at least in AMT) but am saving 185 gn. bullets for my .45 ACP caliber Warthog.

(This kinda data is useful to Semi Auto Guys since its usually not very clear
if internet-published magnum pistol caliber reloading data
is for looong barrel Thompson Contender's etc. or ???)

·
Registered
490 Posts
In the 80's I always used CCI550 magnum primers in all 357 magnum loads. I shot mostly Blue Dot, 2400 and Unique. I worked up loads with magnum primers. That way I only had to keep one kind of primer. :)
Now I follow directions from the powder manufacture data site. If it says standard then that is what I use. I have noticed that Accurate uses magnum primers in all 357 magnum loads even with fast powders such as Accurate #2. That blows most slow-fast-powder-primer logic we see here. :D

OBTW: I forgot to mention even though I do not use much Blue Dot now the most accurate loading I ever found for my Dan Wesson was the Speer 146 grain Semi-jacketed Hollow Point over 11.2 to 12.2 grains of Blue Dot and magnum primers. Most loads with other bullets and 2400 were toward 2" center to center. I shot some 6 shot groups at 25 yards with the 146 and Blue Dot I could cover with a quarter, yes a 25 cent piece.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm going to load 357mag 158gr gdhp. the alliant web site standard small pistol primers NOT mag primers. I've been loading with alliant 2400 using standard small primers. they seem to shoot ok. but I don"t know about using them with blue dot. any one here use blue dot for 357 and what primers do you use. all info would be nice to get. thanks in advance. TOMD1943
My past 357 loadings with BD all used standard primers, and I don't recall any problems. FWIW, the Speer manual #14 has BD loads for the 357 and they all use the CCI std small pistol primer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts