Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to make a decision, but honestly not sure which way to go. Here's the situation, my LGS has a Ruger Alaskan Super Redhawk for rent in .44 mag, which I did, and absolutely loved it!! But, it is a "range gun" and they can't sell it, and they can't get one (backordered to oblivion was their terminology), so, I start looking around for one, and there aren't any local and look at Buds and Gunbroker, and here is the big decision, which to get...
Choice #1 Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan
Choice #2 Gary Reeder Alaskan (based on a Ruger Redhawk)
I can get either, but I have only fired the the Super Redhawk, and honestly, I'm nervous to order the Gary Reeder without having some idea of the difference in the way it handles since I have never fired anything on the regular redhawk frame. Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect if I buy the Gary Reeder vs the "standard" Alaskan?? The price difference is around $100 with the Alaskan being "new" and the Gary Reeder Alaskan being "used".
Help!!
Mazer

·
Registered
250 Posts
I’ve known Gary Reeder for close to forty years now, he’s a character as well as a savvy businessman. If he had a product I wanted and the price was what I was prepared to pay then I’d make a purchase. As for your particular situation I would recommend that you stick with the original factory gun instead of going with the used custom. It’s nothing against Gary but a factory original gun is often easier to resell or trade than a custom one. I will point out though that the Reeder gun will have a far nicer DA/SA pull.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I have owned both types and many examples of each. I now only have one and it's the Super Redhawk Alaskan in 44. So much so that I had it Mag-Na-Ported and then turned over to get full coverage engraving including my personal signature on the gun. That way I can never sell it! Super is the way to go. Just do what I did when I was looking for a SP101 and also a 3" GP100. I became an internet hound. Not looking for used one's by the way, but for brand new in the box, directly from Ruger type guns. To do this, I was checking all distributor's that I could think of or find on Google searches for the specific gun. As it turned out, both times I found the gun I was after at Impact Guns.
Impact Guns Home I had already found out that they had a copy of my dealer's FFL license and so when the gun's showed up, I paid for them on the phone and then settled up with my dealer. Worked like a champ, and I was not waiting for my dealer to find one.

Reason being is that it took a lot of time and effort on my part to find these guns. Time and effort that a dealer just doesn't have for one gun for one customer. Do the work for your dealer and you can get them every time. Your dealer will be nicer too since you won't have to bug him so much. Smithy.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
My experience is limited to the Redhawk, but I think either would serve you well.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, that Alaskan Super Redhawk was just great to shoot!! Shot it alongside my .44 Desert Eagle and although the Deagle was smoother, you can't CCW a Desert Eagle!!!!!
Guess I should get the new Alaskan and then go from there. It will be my second revolver I've purchased after my Chiappa Rhino. Since my wife basically took over my Rhino, I've been looking for a nice new revolver hand cannon.
I'll look at gun broker, they had brand new Alaskan's for $748, so not bad really.
mazer

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
Welcome from the forum. I owned a reeder modified blackhawk for 2 hours at a gun show 5 years ago. I saw it for sale at a great price and purchased it. I sold it later that day for a 300 dollar profit It hurt but I need the money.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
.44 Desert Eagle and although the Deagle was smoother
Now I'm jealous! I have owned several Desert Eagle's (none currently) over the years including being one of the first few guy's to own the original 357 that the gun came out in. I forget what "Mark" number that was or if even it had one. The last one I owned was a CADE44 I think, for California approved Desert Eagle in 44 magnum. They bugger up the snot out of the firing pin stop plate. And to this day I have no idea what the CA's model difference is supposed to do? Other than make it almost impossible to remove at least without breaking three springs that the new CA model has. For the rest of you folk the plate is a solid piece of steel with a hole in the middle, NO springs. It's an easy matter to order the correct parts and return the gun to pre-California condition and that's what I did with my last one. I just wish I had of kept it now that the base model is over fifteen hundred dollars. My first one cost around 500 dollars new and in the box. Boy how time's have changed. Smithy.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Smith -> Well you can find a desert eagle a lot cheaper than that, depends on whether you want used or new. I don't know WHAT CA requires for a weapon, but it can't be good. The Desert Eagle is a pleasure to shoot in .44 mag, I bought it so I could buy both .50AE and .357 barrels ... I like haveing one gun for multiple calibers!!!! I currently reload all but the .50AE for the eagle. I also own a RIA .22 TCM 1911a2 that comes with a 9mm barrel so you can shoot both calibers.
Well, the alaskan will make a great addition to my collection, it will be a shooter, and probably my CCW for now...might use some hot .44 spl loads for that instead of full mag loads...but we'll see.
mazer

1 - 9 of 9 Posts