Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I took my new SP101-22 to the range today and was enjoying shooting it. I was trying different ammo, seeing what grouped the best. I had shot 4 different brands, and then got to some Remington Golden, I fired one cylinder full, ejected, and reloaded another full cylinder. The first pull of the trigger and... PFT! I paused, waited, and opened the cylinder. I ejected the rounds, and got out my bore light. Sure enough, there was a Golden Bullet, jammed in the barrel, about an inch in from the forcing cone. Ive been shooting .22 rimfires for 40 years, and I have never had a squib. Ive had my fair share of duds, but never a squib. I got my cleaning rod out and plastic mallet and tapped out the bullet. It took a few whacks, but it came right out. The Remington ammo was from 1989, so even then, I guess they were having problems. It wasnt bulk ammo, and has been kept cool and dry all these years. It was a bad cartridge the day it left the factory. To me, it confirms the fact not to use .22 rimfire ammo for self defense, because its less reliable than centerfire ammo. If I had pulled the trigger again, I doubt the result would have been very nice. I now have a neat keepsake, a Remington Golden tu*rd

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Glad to see you were vigilant.
Could have had a different ending.

·
Registered
621 Posts
The Remington Golden Bullets have been wreaking havoc on so many guns that I'm shocked you missed the warnging to not shoot it. Glad you caught it... use CCI or Federal.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Doubt a 22lr would have blown it apart but bulging the barrel would have been a real possibility. Glad you caught it before something bad happened.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I took my new SP101-22 to the range today and was enjoying shooting it. I was trying different ammo, seeing what grouped the best. I had shot 4 different brands, and then got to some Remington Golden, I fired one cylinder full, ejected, and reloaded another full cylinder. The first pull of the trigger and... PFT! I paused, waited, and opened the cylinder. I ejected the rounds, and got out my bore light. Sure enough, there was a Golden Bullet, jammed in the barrel, about an inch in from the forcing cone. Ive been shooting .22 rimfires for 40 years, and I have never had a squib. Ive had my fair share of duds, but never a squib. I got my cleaning rod out and plastic mallet and tapped out the bullet. It took a few whacks, but it came right out. The Remington ammo was from 1989, so even then, I guess they were having problems. It wasnt bulk ammo, and has been kept cool and dry all these years. It was a bad cartridge the day it left the factory. To me, it confirms the fact not to use .22 rimfire ammo for self defense, because its less reliable than centerfire ammo. If I had pulled the trigger again, I doubt the result would have been very nice. I now have a neat keepsake, a Remington Golden tu*rd

In my experiance Remington "golden "bullets are the worst perfoming .22 cartridge in not just one but all of my .22s. I have had 100 per cent reliability from shooting CCI .22s and that is shooting thousands and thousands of rounds
from my different .22s. I have had really good luck with the new CCI AR Tactical .22s and really recommend them for people with auto loaders especially.
On the other hand my friends and I have had with many less rounds fired different centerfire cartridges of different brands fail to fire in various handguns. Most centerfires which failed were "off brands" though.
I purchased a SP 101 .22 last spring and it has become my favorite, .22 revolver, very accurate, and fun to shoot.

·
Registered
530 Posts
The Remington ammo was from 1989, ..... To me, it confirms the fact not to use .22 rimfire ammo for self defense, because its less reliable than centerfire ammo. If I had pulled the trigger again, I doubt the result would have been very nice. I now have a neat keepsake, a Remington Golden tu*rd
First I am very happy you were not hurt but I can't understand your final statement. You had one defective round that was 14 years old and some how you come to the conclusion that a certain caliber is not a good self defense round. I don't understand how you got from point A to point B.

I would chalk it up to a fluke, possibly the age of ammo, or at least blame the manufacturer but to blame a whole caliber!?

·
Bat Man
1,672 Posts
Any weapon you WILL carry and use is better than the best weapon you don't carry, even if that is a 22LR. The one you will carry and can shoot be it 22LR, 25 ACP, 38 special, 9mm, 45 ACP, etc... is the best round to carry. When you leave your gun because it's too big, can't be concealed OR you dread firing it a lot because it hurts your hand/wrist/arm etc... you have the wrong gun.

Whatever you choose to carry, buy the best carry ammo you can for the money.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Very glad you weren't hurt, not everybody would have been paying enough attention to not hammer another round in there! That would have been a nasty way to end a good gun's life:eek: I am supprised it didin't clear the barrel at least though, because Aguila makes just primer powered .22 subsonic ammo, you were right about the Golden ****

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Any old ammo is an iffy proposition, not just the Remington Golden. Shoot the old stuff with care. On old 22 ammo, if the box or container has been opened and/or you have a partial box, be especially careful.

I might also make a pitch for electronic earmuffs, so you can still hear something when the shot goes off, at least enough to tell if something didn't sound right. Old style muffs and plugs might mask the sound of a squib under certain conditions.

·
Registered
304 Posts
blbolin.....
is that a real KSP-242-8 or is the pic photo-shopped...?:)
I have searched for one since last Sept. with no luck.
Even Ruger tells me they are in production and shipped out regularly
and to Lipsey's, NT Sport, Outdoor Sports, Jerry's Sports, Simmons.....etc.
You really have one....? :)

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
blbolin.....
I have searched for one since last Sept. with no luck.
Even Ruger tells me they are in production and shipped out regularly
and to Lipsey's, NT Sport, Outdoor Sports, Jerry's Sports, Simmons.....etc.
You really have one....? :)
Welbalance I'm glad you checked that bore before putting another one down the tube. It can happen with all ammo,all mfgs, caliber not just the 22LR's.

ozo, They are out there. You just have to be at the right place at the right time. I wasn't looking and hadn't even thought about buying a SP101 in 22LR. I went in a shop and there is was. They might of had them only because they were having Ruger days when I went. I did go ahead and buy the one I have. They had 40 of the SR1911's that same day. It's a sweet little gun. I like my S&W M 63 a little better but I've had it for 30 years or so and it's become part of me.I say HAD it for 30 years. Now the wife has taken it over.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
blbolin.....
It certainly not photoshopped. Its a real SP101-22 8 shot. They are out there. I passed twice on buying one at my LGS, and both times when I went back, they were gone. I bought mine from the largest gun dealer in Ohio, Fin Feather Fur, and when I had the chance the third time they had them in stock, I jumped on it. They are out there...

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
First I am very happy you were not hurt but I can't understand your final statement. You had one defective round that was 14 years old and some how you come to the conclusion that a certain caliber is not a good self defense round. I don't understand how you got from point A to point B.

I would chalk it up to a fluke, possibly the age of ammo, or at least blame the manufacturer but to blame a whole caliber!?
My point was that in 40 years of shooting rimfire ammo, I have had numerous duds, and now a squib. In almost the same amount of time shooting centerfire ammo, I have never had a single problem of any kind. I just wouldnt trust rimfire ammo with my life. Im not getting into a debate over whether rimfire is a good SD caliber, but I certainly know if I was trusting my gun to save my life, and had fired another shot in a highly charged, stressful situation like a SD shooting, like anyone would have with a Double Action revolver, I might have blown the barrel off my gun, or worse... Thank you for the comment about not being injured. Im glad too.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Thanks, both of you...I still have faith......
I already have the Trausch grips for it, as I have on all my SP101's.
Now, I just need the.........

1 - 17 of 17 Posts