Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all again. A month or two ago I had posted here about my Mini 30 which is one of the older pre retooling rifles, a 197 series to be exact. I had stated I was debating on selling the rifle for a newer retooled 581 plus Mini 30 with the thicker barrel. Thanks to Sandog and others, mainly Sandog :p, I have decided to keep the 197 rifle and just kit it out to my liking. So here it is in its present form.

To give you an idea of what the sight picture is like with the Williams sight. The Williams is a bit bulky but provides a good sight radius and once loctited and screwed down appropriately works very well. If you don't loctite it down parts will fly off while your firing it. I tested it with my friend and the elevation screw wasn't tight enough, the darn peep sight flew off the elevation track and went onto the floor! Thankfully my friend found it and we screwed it back on.

Also it does block the caliber and model name markings which is a bit annoying. It doesn't hug the receiver but it does give you a set screw you screw in in the elevation track to keep it from bending downward.

entire album minicarbine - Album on Imgur

It has on it a Mo Reaper front sight with precession muzzle break, Accustrut, Choate handguard, Williams peep rear sight, and a hardened longer stainless steel firing pin from ebay user Custom9001. Plus I resurfaced the face of the bolt when I replaced the firing pin and it has fired a multitude of Russian surplus, Wolf and Yugo brass cased, with Berdan primers with no failure to fires. I had some failure to feeds if the the rounds weren't pushed all the back when inserting into the magazine but once it strips the first round the other 19 go in just fine.

The Mo Reaper is kind of of expensive, bout $130 but it works as advertised. The sight picture is awesome, the set screws on the bottom keep it steady if loctite was applied as it was on my gun. Also the ports on the muzzle brake really really work very well. There was no fireball at all and it did steady recoil, plus quiet it a little. Way better than the cheapo $30 muzzle brake that was loose and rattled I had on it that I got years ago from Midway.

What I need help with is I have the standard Ruger front sight sling linked below and I have zero idea how I'm supposed to install it. I want to keep it with the wood stock pictured and I'm not sure how to mound a swivel on the gas block. What have you guys done to mount a swivel into the hole in the gas block?

Ruger Sling Swivel Front Ruger Mini-14 Mini-30 Blue

This is the swivel I have from Midway, thanks again all!

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Spectre Gear sling, tested and approved by me and hawkguy !
I would not even mess with mounting the sling under the rifle. That's great for putting on your shoulder to stroll through the woods, but a side mounted sling is more practical. Hanging off your neck, the Mini lays across your chest, and can be brought up very quickly. If you have to drag a deer, or a wounded buddy, you put the Mini across your back out of the way, and both hands are free.
I am a lefty, so if you are right handed your sling will be on the left side.
Use these mounts:
Universal Quick Detach Sling Attachment|GG&G

Mini will carry like this, but you can also shorten the sling and carry it on one shoulder if you want:

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
Looking good so far! I think you were smart to build it up instead of replacing it.

Sandog, I am planning to put a Spectre sling and that same Blackhawk! stock pouch on my incoming M1a (I've been waiting for a rifle to put My spare pouch on!). My Mini has the same pouch, but a different sling. Spectre has grabbed my attention as I have been looking for a good, rugged sling ready for backyard battle. ;)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Drill the gas block sling mounting hole out and us an uncle mikes quick detach , thats what many of us do. The gas block is pretty hard so use a good drill and take your time, you will have to file the sides alittle for the quick detach mount to close all the way. Then you can mount pretty much any single sling thats 1". Good luck and dont forget to post some pics.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Uhhhhh I really don't want to drill out the gas block hole for the swivel but I appreciate the comments and I would much prefer to have a two point sling. Has anyone here installed the stock Ruger swivel on a Mini 14 or 30 before? Still trying to figure out how to do it and I can't find instructions on how to do it on the web. Thanks for the replies though. Sandog I reread what you wrote. The side swivel isn't a bad idea but if you're mounting it up front you need to be careful about how far the screws go into the gas block channel plus I really don't want to drill the stock but it is not a bad idea.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I've never installed the stock Ruger swivel,. but have removed several, and drilled them out for a Q D swivel. I would perfer a 1 1/4" sling and the factory swivel is only 1 inch. With a Q D you can remove the sling quickly from one end of the Mini when cleaning, nice to be able to get the stock out of the way without having to un thread the sling from the swivel.
As far as drilling into your stock, use real short wood screws with the GG&G Universal mounts, and put some epoxy on them if you are concerned how they'll hold.

·
Exalted One
1,803 Posts
CR, just last night, I installed sling swivels in my new Ruger wooden stock. The rear swivel was already in but limits you to a 1" sling. I had some Blackhawk swivel studs course-threaded for screwing into a wood stock laying around and replaced the rear swivel with one of them. For me, it was a simple matter of unscrewing the fixed original swivel and putting in the Blackhawk swivel stud. I'm not sure how the older wood stocks work for this. With the newer wooden stocks, the course threads are the same. Took about a minute after I started.

For the front, I had pondered my navel for quite a while. I wanted a small picatinny rail for a bipod. The easiest way to do that was with another sling swivel stud. There are several bipods available that have a mount that fastens to the sling swivel stud and provides enough rail for the bipod. I had that laying around, too.

I carefully measured the thickness of the stock and was prepared to cut out some of the wood and put a mounting plate in to stiffen things up (and tap/die it). The spare sling swivel stud I used for this was from an ATI stock, machine-threaded. As it turned out, with a small #8 washer, the threaded depth was exactly the same as the thickness of the stock. The hole I drilled was just a tad bit smaller than the sling swivel stud and when I screwed in the stud, it fit very snugly and securely - I didn't even need the steel plate.

I realize machine-threaded screws are inappropriate for securing into wood - particularly something as soft as birch. If it holds (and I think it will for me), then I'm done. If it starts to work loose or strip out, then I'll rout out some wood and install the metal backing plate so the stud's threads go into metal.

With these studs in place, I can use some Uncle Mike's 1 1/4" QD sling swivels (which my 10/22 is wearing, along with a black 1 1/4" wide sling). In fact, I'll probably just swap out my one-inch sling for my Mini with the 1 1/4" on the 10/22.

Most would recommend a 1 1/4" sling.

Nice job on your '30. Wise choice to hang onto it. My Mini is a 181-series GB.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I did some finagling last night and bending and mild tapping and bent the stock swivel to fit. I do need to touch it up as it did get marred the swivel inthe process but it's on there the stock swivel. I'll try it for now, worse happens I can sue wire gauge cutters to remove it later. Time to get some touch up cold bluing.

·
Registered
370 Posts
You will do no harm to the gas block by drilling it out. You options will improve greatly and many of us have done this. In fact , its one of the 1st things I do . I wouldn't have a rifle without a sling. Good luck.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Misfire51 I think you're right. The stock swivel is not great, it will slip side to side. My local gun store has a swing swivel universal kit with the bolts that attach to where the swivels go. I may be better off cutting of the swivels all together and going with that for $20, I'll think about it as they are open tomorrow.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
binrat thanks I do appreciate that and enjoy shooting the rifle. So I went back to my LGS, local gun store, and talked to them about slings and getting it on there. I ended up with a Buttler Creek. Like others noted here one of the store employees thought I would have to drill the gas block to get the Buttler Creek sling on there. Well turns out I had to drill abit but not the gas block. The gas block was exactly the right diameter for the Butler Creek swivel! It was the rear swivel mount that had to be drilled. Finally after going part way with a 3 /16ths bit on both ends the swivel went through the rear swivel stud in the stock. Now it's done! I did do some cosmetic touch ups and mix ups. I ended up trying to touch up the aluminum strut for the acustrut but didn't come out right so I just sanded it a bit to give a worn look. Like the gun shop employee told me "It's a ranch rifle not a match rifle" and I can't say he's wrong about that. Still looks good.

Even my dog approves!

·
Exalted One
1,803 Posts
So I'm guessing you carry it muzzle down with the padded sling on backwards ?
That's what I usually do. But then again, I don't go traipsing through the woods very often. Started doing that with my folder and just continued with my new wooden stock.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I carry my shotgun that way in grizzly country. Muzzle down and bottom of gun facing forwards. If I need to use it, I grab the pump handle and twist the gun upright as I'm bringing it up. You can rack a shell into it as it's coming up, takes about 1 second and it's ready.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Try the Model Masters or Testors model paint ( Falt Black ) for that strut. It works great for touch up work , Or just us Krylon flat black or any of the high heat flat paints. Your gun is lookin great by the way.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
The aluminum is not going to rust so it really don't matter in the end. Yeah I'm carrying it over my shoulder muzzle down. I'd like to do it across my neck to make it faster but it doesn't feel right with that setup. It's something for now. I've never messed with slings before so I'm glad it works as well as it does. Thanks all.

·
Registered
118 Posts
So have you shot any steel cased 7.62x39 ammo in that mini 30, I have read they have issues with steel case primers. Also if you upgrade the firing pin spring it can break the firing pin (not sure if any truth on this) I have been thinking about getting a mini 30 but not wanting a 7.62X39 chambered rifle that cannot shoot steel case ammo.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts