Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work at a company that produces utility poles out of trees, to do this job i have to use a large draw knife daily. Well long story short I ran the draw knife straight into my knee cap yesterday morning straight down to the bone. The cut is about 3 inches long and roughly3/4" wide. Luckily i only had to get 3 internal stitches and 6 external. If i hit a half inch either way i probably would have missed the knee cap and hit the joint instead.

So just a quick lesson, BE CAREFUL OUT THERE. little stuff can hurt you bad.

Have a good one guys.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Damn dude! Feel better, that sounds like it hurt.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
OUCH! Get better quick bud. Did something close to that in the past so I feel your pain.

·
Banned
2,189 Posts
Glad you weren't hurt worse!

A wise man told me when I was a kid to always cut away from yourself when using a knife.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Glad you're semi OK. The only thing I can relate to is way back when I was a motorcycle mechanic, I would cut the old grips off when someone ordered new grips. I used my handy buck 110 and I was distracted one day and after I sliced through the grip, I stabbed my left wrist with the knife! :eek: My fiance was the one I was talking to and she happened to be taking medical classes. Turns out I didn't hit anything vital, but man that threw a scare into me!

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
I once had a cheap but new and sharp pocket knife close on my hand it took 6 stitches to close. I did not hurt when it happened but after the stitches did it hurt.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Sorry to hear , Hope you heal completely.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
That's the problem with a draw knife you have to pull it towards you to use it haha.
Otherwise it would be called a pushknife? Seriously, sorry to hear. A drawknife is a dangerous tool (obviously) and I hope your company has some benefits or helps with the medical bills. Tried a drawknife a long time back when making a small boat mast and gave up. Switched to a draw plane and block plane. Took longer but gave better control and less risk. Something about pulling that sharp blade toward yourself just gave me the willies. I realize you have no choice where you work.

And you make a good point - it can all happen so fast. Spent 18 years in vertical transportation and worked with guys who lost limbs and one who lost his life. Comment all who survived had in common - "It happened so fast."

Hope you have a speedy recovery and can get back to work ASAP.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was back to work within an hour after getting it of the ER. Doc told my boss i was good to go. Worked the last 5 hours of the day. Boss let me go home early today because of the pain though. And on the bright side the company's insurance paid everything.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
I was back to work within an hour after getting it of the ER. Doc told my boss i was good to go. Worked the last 5 hours of the day. Boss let me go home early today because of the pain though. And on the bright side the company's insurance paid everything.
Glad to hear it didn't sideline you and hit you with medical bills to boot. Tough about the pain but seeing your handle is Iraq Vet with the 101st Airborne I'm guessing you've dealt with pain before.

·
Banned
1,152 Posts
Not near as bad but a knife cut hurts really, really bad. Got stabbed in the neck and thought I was goner! Cut muscles and 35 years later I still get neck cramps on the other side where the muscles are now longer. That sharp heavy pain a knife brings is a real bear!!
Get well soon,
Tony
PS Still have my finger anyway... ;)

·
Registered
549 Posts
remember, lets be careful out there. Hope all goes well.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the well wishes guys. Knee is feeling pretty good considering. Still sore, but I don't need crutches and my doctor called me last night to see how i was doing. Ate telling him everything about out i had to ask him when he thought it would be alright to go walking in the woods to go squirrel hunting. Much to my surprise he cleared me to go today! I just have to take it easy and bring a chair.

So in few hours i will be taking in some fresh air in the woods watching for squirrel.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well the squirrel hunt was a partial bust. Didn't see a single squirrel but i did find a full moose rack. Called dnr to report it and got cleared to keep it.

·
Super Moderator
21,346 Posts
I am just shy of my 90 days of employment so I haven't accrued any vacation time yet. I an more upset with the doc for not giving me wasn't time off or pain killers.
The Doc probably did you a favor. Lost time accident in the first 90 days of employment probably would be too good for your career path.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts