Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never really thought I would carry a 1911 pistol for cc. My reasoning is the manual safety. Having said that, yesterday my wife and I went to a local pawn shop. They had a Colt Defender that I handled. Nice little gun. I have to admit, I started concidering it.....

After a few minutes, I came to my senses, and said no. I have only owned 1 colt in my life....a Gold Cup that had major problems. I swore I would never again buy a Colt....I was tempted, though.....

On a side note, I have pretty much decided that I will be purchasing a Sig P239 for my next carry, and retire the SP101 to the safe and range. Now, to decide on .40 S&W or 9mm.....

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Give in to temptation. Only buy a Kimber! Mine has been totally reliable after the 200 round break in, and only two or three bobbles in the break in period.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya'll are killin' me. Beautiful guns. Oh do I want one. (Stay focused, Wizard....stay focused).....:)

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I got rid of my Colt Combat Commander (satin nickel) in 79-still miss it...the only mods. were I had Jim Clark throat the ramp and add a hand-made right-hand safety-doesn't have to be a fancy tricked out one...the 1911 is a basic .45 you can count on...or build houses with if you can't get ammo....simple...strong.....someday I'll buy another for 'round the house and fondling....

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Gunman, and Keith, please tell me more about those guns.

Not much to tell. It is dependable, accurate, and a joy to shoot. It is as small and easier to conceal than my SP101. Has a good trigger, right out of the box. First gun in a long time I felt no need to modify in any way.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's what I like to hear, Gunman.

Sheepdog, I have a Norinco 1911A1. It was an inexpensive gun, and is very reliable as well as accurate. I really like 1911 style...would just have to practice remembering the safety.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Two options would be a thumb break safety with the leather under the hammer and safety off-I used to leave mine unsnapped...leather was stiff enough to stay....and to carry it hammer all the way down...cock it if needed-I'd carry it that way when I carried it stuck in my belt....either would be faster than fumbling...I'd have it cocked by the time it cleared my belt.....

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I showed this thread to my wife and asked her opinion (compared to the P239). She told me that she thought the ultra compact .45's would be much easier to conceal, and she then made a point that she knew I wanted a .45, but the P239 didn't come in .45....Can't get anything past her.....

·
Registered
244 Posts
To me, the 1911 safety is a natural! Thumb falls right on it, just press a little. JMB knew his stuff; the 1911 and BHP work pretty much without thinking about (always a plus for me!).

Usual carry is a Glock 19, but I DO MISS the thumb safety!!

Bob

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not a fan of the 1911's. They seem too fussy for my likes and the external safety is a no sale for me. I really do enjoy my P239.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I continue to see people not having good luck with the 1911 platform. Especially the original Colt. I find that perplexing. I have owned several versions of the 1911, most of them made by Colt. Evidently I must be an oddity since I have never had a problem with the gun. Currently I own two stainless Colts, one the Commander and the other the Officers model, which is my main carry piece.

Of all the hand guns I've ever owned these Colts serve me the best. In ergonomics, functioning, and reliability.

Now aside from the stocks, both pieces are stock.

I never felt the need to modify either one for any reason.

FYI I have been a devoted 1911 fan since 1964.

Guess it shows eh?
:)

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
RVN11B said:
FYI I have been a devoted 1911 fan since 1964.
I have several 1911s and am very comfortable with all of them.

That said, I would not trade my SRH for anything!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Sir, I have a soft spot in my heart for the 1911. I have carried one for quite awhile but opted for the S&W M&P for daily carry because my 1911's were getting banged up. I carried ( and still do sometimes) a Dan Wesson CBob in .45 acp. The CBob is a commander length (4.5 in.) 1911 with a bobtailed handle and all stainless steel. I have used 1911's for years and am comfortable with carring them cocked and locked. As long as you have a quality gun, it will function as designed. I like the S&W but the 1911 is still my first love. There is just something about that big ol' slow movin' hunk of lead that makes me smile.
Phew, I feel better now.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Sir, I have a soft spot in my heart for the 1911. I have carried one for quite awhile but opted for the S&W M&P for daily carry because my 1911's were getting banged up. I carried ( and still do sometimes) a Dan Wesson CBob in .45 acp. The CBob is a commander length (4.5 in.) 1911 with a bobtailed handle and all stainless steel. I have used 1911's for years and am comfortable with carring them cocked and locked. As long as you have a quality gun, it will function as designed. I like the S&W but the 1911 is still my first love. There is just something about that big ol' slow movin' hunk of lead that makes me smile.
Phew, I feel better now.
The Dan Wesson Bobtailed Commander is my grail pistol. That is by far the most well designed pistol that I have seen (other than the original that came from, I belive, Les Baer). Better concealment, better feel to my hand, and it is a 1911 platform. I have thought of having my Colt Combat Commander customized to the bob-tail, but it has served me so well in shooting every single thing I have put in it that I don't want to change ANYTHING. So a second one, being a Dan Wesson, is about my only hop-tion (no a typo).

Regarding carrying the 1911, I have never had any concern with carrying it cocked and locked. After all, with a series 80, you're not carrying anything different from an XD45 with respect to safety, if you carry it with the safety off! :eek: That is the reason I will never feel as comfortable with a Glock or XD as I am with my 1911. And I would never carry it for self-defense with the hammer down on a chambered round. Not that it is any less safe than cocked and locked, but it is much easier to fumble cocking the hammer than it is to fumble the safety. The 1911 was meant for business, and it was designed to function from a cocked and locked mode. Anything else is lessening its efficiency.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts