Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now if your like me, you always carry some extra protection. In this picture you will see why, the rocks have an extra set of eyes. The dog how ever did not see or smell the Mt Lion.

·
Registered
505 Posts
They sure got some good camo!!! It took me a couple of seconds to spot it. That's one of the few animals that I wouldn't want to be anywhere near.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
I always carry a gun, weather in the woods or the city! I worry more about wild critters in the city than in the woods. Around here, the worse thing you got to worry about in the woods is a rattlesnake.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,712 Posts
Reminds me of a good story ... I was fishing with a friend in his boat at Apache Lake, AZ. My friend caught a very nice large mouth bass so he posed and I took a picture. We had drifted up to a bank that was about 6 ft high. When I got the pictures back (back in the old days of film cameras), there was a huge Diamondback coiled up not more than a few feet from my friend's head. We both grimaced at the sight.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
thats a nice chunk of change there! what are mountain lion pelts bringing now-a-days? $300?

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
It I lived where things like that lived I would carry all the time too. But I live on Long Island and people here question you when you pull out a two inch pocket knife. Upstate we don't have any Cougar, haha. I saw cat tracks as big as my hand when hunting two years ago. I was glad I had a pistol on me.

·
Banned
298 Posts
I was building something outside of town a few years ago. We would see yotes and stuff all the time. One day there was a cougar stalking across the field when we were working. we spent the rest of the day on the roof, and I hitched my Blackhawks holster to my nail bags.

I don't want nothin to do with those things.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This time of year (surveying), seems all kinds of critters live in the places where folks have property corners...Stone Rows! Its always nice to have some extra comfort

·
Registered
239 Posts
I think a 500 would work just fine on kitty .. wonder if it tastes like chicken ..

it is amazing how quiet some of the animals can be in the wild

·
Registered
94 Posts
Now Here Kitty

At first I was wonder why did he post a photo of a bunch of rocks.Then Oh $*&% now I see.Where we hunt were always on the look out for bears.
:cool:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Very cool picture.

I was salmon fishing in AK years ago and while talking to my buddy, all of a sudden we both stopped and could hear a bear very, very close just standing there breathing. The brush was too thivk to see him, but he couldn't have been 30' away..

Not a great feeling. My 44 was in its holster back at camp.:rolleyes:

·
Squirrel Sniper 1st class
254 Posts
yea. i have heard way too many stories about things happening with out provocation.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I can "relate" with Iowegan's story. Delivering mail in the foothills of Albuquerque a few years back, I sensed something behind me while I was stuffing the gang boxes with mail. I looked back and a 2 foot rattlesnake was a 1/4 inch from my leg with it's head, apparently sensing my body heat. I had a very "anxious" 45 seconds before it decided to back off and go about it's business! Also had black widow spiders "jump" onto my hand on three different occasions when opening mail boxes. Who says mail carriers don't earn their money!........................Dick

·
Registered
508 Posts
Snakes out walking

Just on Monday this week, my wife was out walking along a utility road, gravel & grass. She's not the most alert, and had already stepped over something before realizing it wasn't just a stick. So her feet had been within 4" of this snake before she knew it. Luck or blessing.

Looking up pictures on the internet, best guess is a copperhead. Still pretty cool out around here, and Jersey is pretty much northern limits anyway.

No handgun carry allowed here, east coast rules suck.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
It took me a few minutes to find it.Great camo.However that rattle snake stood out like a sore thumb.:eek:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Wow that is a awsome photo! Just hope i see it before it sees me.Even though i carry daily might be to late with something like that.They are pretty sly.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts