Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really wanted a 5-shot S&W but couldn't find one I could afford.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The .44 Spl is an excellent cartridge. Very accurate and plenty sufficient for self-defence. You may consider looking for old, quality used one. There were some really terrific target models made by both Colt and S&W. I don't know about the prices, though. They may cost more than the S&W you like.

·
Premium Member
2,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Smith made a special run of 3" 5-shot stainless revolvers on the L Frame, Model 696. That's what I really wanted, but they are priced out of my range.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Shooting report please! I also like the 44 spl. My "wants" is a s&w mdl 296----its a weird duck and they are pricey but i got to try one out before and they are fantastic.
Maybe one of these years..........

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Very nice rman, thanks for taking the time to share. If I'm not mistaken, Taurus had .44 spl snubs at one point in time but I believe they've been discontinued.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Taurus_9mm

Very nice rman, thanks for taking the time to share. If I'm not mistaken, Taurus had .44 spl snubs at one point in time but I believe they've been discontinued.
Yes sir,
And i've heard nothing but good about those and the rossi 44 spl.

·
Premium Member
2,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't shot it yet, but after I bought it someone whose opinion I trust, tells me that they aren't much. I may regret this purchase when it's all said and done. If so, it's too bad because it packs a lot of punch in a small package.[V]

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
rman - that's the one I've been wanting. It's on the short list to keep an eye out for. Kicked myself numerous times since letting the bulldog go back in the 70's. If you don't like it - send it my way. Include some targets like EddieF does and we can do a test for the forum. I've got some good loads worked up we can try in it.----
Is that one of the new breed? If so I am very interested in hearing your opinion.
Looks like a dirty bbl and forcing cone. Somebody's been using it!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Just my opinion, but I'll bet it'l shoot, and shoot real good. Might not hold up with thousands of rounds through it, but for its intended purpose I'll bet it's a winner. Good find!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
quote:Originally posted by rman

I haven't shot it yet, but after I bought it someone whose opinion I trust, tells me that they aren't much. I may regret this purchase when it's all said and done. If so, it's too bad because it packs a lot of punch in a small package.[V]
Rman I am here to tell you don't pay any attention to what other people say about the .44spl. It will get the job done for all defensive purposes and it is a fun caliber to shoot. I have had about 6 Charter Arms over the years and they were all good guns. I never run into a .44spl or I would probably still have one. The others were .38s and I used to trade around with. Good luck with yours and I'll be waiting on your range report.:D

·
Premium Member
2,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
quote:Originally posted by jimbo1096

rman - that's the one I've been wanting. It's on the short list to keep an eye out for. Kicked myself numerous times since letting the bulldog go back in the 70's. If you don't like it - send it my way. Include some targets like EddieF does and we can do a test for the forum. I've good some good loads worked up we can try in it.----
Is that one of the new breed? If so I am very interested in hearing your opinion.
Looks like a dirty bbl and forcing cone. Somebody's been using it!
I guess they test fired it at the factory and didn't clean it. There is a test cartridge in the box.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Well that's no worse than S&W and Colt as I have bought a lot of them fired and not cleaned from the factory. Let us all know what you think of it after you have shot it. Good luck with it Rman.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts