Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever heard that one? Well me too... So I finally ordered one,,, brand new 30-06... it will be here Wednesday.

Now after I have it on the way, I start reading all these posts about how the wood is not good any more and it does not fit the metal properly. Also reading about sloppy actions... man I really hope not! I have wanted one of these guns for years and I sold three very nice guns to fund this project.

I hope whoever built mine brought their A game... sure hope I don't get a Friday afternoon gun! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
Very rarely take such reports with much seriousness. Without knowing the person, its difficult. Were they expecting Rolls Royce quality at a Chevrolet price? Are they one that's never satisfied? Few completely subjective nowadays.

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
I've seen two new ones lately at a gun show that looked ok. The thing I scoffed at was the price!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I picked mine up last Monday(Dec 28). See my post Bought One.
Gun Shop had 2 new 223's. Just what I wanted. Fit and finish is fine.
Shoots great. Just something about a single shot. Enjoy yours.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
await your hands on report & hoping your pleased. I could have got a brand new No1-223v but considered and settled for 10 year old used same model as nicer wood and maybe build workmanship.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have three Number One's. I have come to the conclusion that many complaints concerning firearms in general and Number One's in particular develop a life of their own and grow bigger. Next, all three of my rifles shoot very well. This is a small sample but my bet is that you will like your new rifle and grow more fond of it as time passes.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm confident that your new No. 1 will be fine.

Nonetheless, go over it at the shop you ordered it from before you complete any paperwork so that if there is an issue you can have them order you a different gun.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
Whenever possible, I buy a rifle in person, This way I can see the fit and finish, and mechanical functioning. I do realize that this is sometimes not possible. Regardless, the #1 is a spectacular rifle. Post pics and a review once you receive it!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys! I'll post pics and range reports in the future.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Flint,

I've had four--1A, 1S, 1H and a RSI. (And handled and shot many others). All have had excellent fit, finish and function (including accuracy). Some had better triggers than others but all were acceptable for being the hunting rifles they are.

Wood figure will be the only variable. You may get a Kate Beckinsale or Kaitlin Jenner! Enjoy it either way.

You said brand new so I assume it's the 2015 1S? Personally, I prefer the 1S in anything with some oomph. My 1A was in .35 Whelen and got your attention (especially with peep sights and full bore 250 grainers!).

My 1S is a 9.3x62 and I find the balance and heft about perfect (it wears a Leupy 2.5x).

Congrats and good luck wih your new rifle. I wish you many enjoyable and memorable hunts with it.

(And to reiterate...post pics when it comes!) :D

·
Registered
505 Posts
I have a 45-70 in a number 1, Fit and finish is excellent it shoots good. Al the ones I have seen have been good. They are well made in my opinion but like all things you will find an occasional lemon.

The 30-06 was last years (2014) run for the sporter.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's model number 11387 from Lipsey's... it should be this years (2015) run.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Congrats on the #1. They are a very nice rifle. I don't have one yet, but I can shoot my brothers .300 Win Mag whenever I want.
So maybe someday.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I had a Ruger # 1 in 30.06. It used to string shots vertically. I tried everything I could think of and used umpteen different brands of ammo and reloads. Took it to my Gunsmith to have a look. he said everything looked OK. It wasn't. I sold it. I hope you have better luck than I did. My buddy has an old 80's Ruger # 3 in .45/70. It's a tack driver for a big bore. I've tried talking him out of it for years....no good.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I'd think you'll be quite satisfied with your number one....true, there'll be differences in wood...always has been to some extent...but the "number one experience" surpasses about any perceived "shortcomings" IMHO.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts