Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure whether or not I'm starting this thread in the correct forum or not.....

A few years ago I purchased a Ruger M77 Stainless Steel .223 rifle and followed that purchase by buying a Bushmaster AR 15 A2 Hbar a few months later (.223/5.56 ammo was cheap, overtime was plentiful etc.) For the most part, the A2 has spent the majority of it’s time in the safe and with all that’s been going on lately, I’ve been thinking about selling/trading the Bushmaster for another rifle or handgun, preferably a Marlin 1895 Guide Gun in .45-70, or a Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 Magnum.

My question, am I crazy for thinking about getting rid of the AR 15? I really don’t have much use for it and it was strictly a novelty purchase. Granted, the .45-70 would also be a novelty purchase since I don’t hunt and don’t see a time (God willing...) where I will need to hunt. I also understand that neither .45-70 or .44 Magnum is cheap by anyone’s standard.

Let me know what you think.......and thanks in advance for the constructive advice.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I look at it this way. A gun is an asset, and assets if taken care of will always bring money. My rule to selling a gun is that I at least come out even, and if at all posable I try to make a little profit. If you want something else worsr then the AR, then do it. No one can answer that except you. I don't own an AR, but I own many rifles and I don't feel under armed one bit. What I have I shoot and I enjoy and they make excellent defense weapons. Selling an AR right now is not the end of the world as long as you come out on top and replace it with something you plan to enjoy more.

·
Registered
719 Posts
If it were me, I would KEEP your AR-15 in my humbled opinion... ;)

There may come a time in the near future you may REALLY NEED IT... :(

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes you are crazy (just kidding) I would keep it. I am looking for one and can't find any available in CA.

·
Registered
350 Posts
If I owned an AR which I hardly ever used, I'd probably take advantage of the current market & sell. I don't own any safe queens or investment firearms, just guns I enjoy shooting. Of course I've also never particularly cared for AR-styled rifles, so it's possible I'm the wrong person to be commenting on such an issue.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Now days you should be able to get both stright-up for your AR.I think the two for one would be great and better in the long run.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Now days you should be able to get both stright-up for your AR.I think the two for one would be great and better in the long run.
Right now I would think that you should be able to do at least that well. Probably walk out with both and some cash to boot.

That said, I have rarely gotten rid of a gun that I did not regret having done so at some point. You will always be able to buy the Guide gun and the Blackhawk. The same might not be true of the AR...just sayin'.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Since 1967, I've accumulated a number of "safe queens". All were once used extensively, but as I aged and became interested in other types of shooting they became more and more idle. Some not used at all for years except to clean and preserve. But doggone, I had parting with things that once brought me such pleasure and satisfaction.

My solution is "private sales" at extraordinarily good prices to younger people who I know extremely well and whom I also know will use them and enjoy them as much, if not more, than I did. Certainly not everybody's ultimate solution, but it works for me.

I learned a valuable lesson early in married life. If you wish to include certain things in your will, think about doing it while you're still alive. Sometimes the greatest pleasure in life is seeing the surprise and joy a child has at Christmas. And you don't have to wait until Christmas and it doesn't have to be a "child" with the smile.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
If I owned an AR which I hardly ever used, I'd probably take advantage of the current market & sell. I don't own any safe queens or investment firearms, just guns I enjoy shooting. Of course I've also never particularly cared for AR-styled rifles, so it's possible I'm the wrong person to be commenting on such an issue.
I agree. I'm a shooter, not a collector. My guns get used or they get traded for something I will use.

If you are serious about selling that AR, now would be an excellent time to do it. No one knows just what a gun ban will include or even if one will materialize, but such a ban could potentially prohibit the sale of an ARs already in your possession. At the very least, you stand to make a nice profit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts