Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My LGS must have bought a truckload of 500 round boxes of American Eagle .22LR earlier this year. They have been selling it for $14.88 a box for several months now. It's the lead round nose version. It comes packaged in separate 50 round boxes in trays. It's cheaper than any of the bulk bricks that Academy Sports sells, and I think it's better, too. Surprisingly, it shoots cleaner than anything else I have tried, even Federal bulk, which I'm assuming is made by the same company. Since they are packed in trays, the rounds are clean and don't get all ding-ed up from rattling against each other.

It's not the most powerful stuff in the world, but works perfectly fine for plinking and shooting at paper targets. Seem plenty accurate.

I'm surprised more stores don't have the stuff.

·
Registered
998 Posts
American Eagles burn cleaner than Federal bulk. Federal Champions are made in South America using cheaper components and a bit dirtier powder. AE's are a great affordable .22 option, very consistant, accurate & reliable.

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
One of the local shops in my small town had them a while back. I bought a couple of bricks when they were down around the $15 mark. Never had an issue with them at all. I typically buy the blue Federal bulk packs, but if I see the AE in the red boxes, I buy that. I like it that they're individually packaged in little boxes of 50, too. If I go walking around the farm, I can throw a couple of those boxes in my pocket and not have to carry a backpack.

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Excuse the typo-I meant AE, American Eagle & the lead had some type of lead coating on it. I couldn't get through a full mag without a failure to feed.:(
Hmm... That's strange. I've shot a lot of it with no problems. I got some CCI AR Tactical (no, I didn't buy it just because it said tactical... I got a good deal on it and it's a good brand name) and it's wax-coated. My 22/45 HATES it, but my 10/22 will shoot it all day long with the Tactical Solutions barrel.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm new to rimfires & just bought a Browning Buck Mark based on input from a few friends who do it & the owner of my LGS, where I bought it, threw in that brick of AE. Now I know why. I should just pull the bullets out & use them for sinkers when I take my grandson fishing next summer. ;)

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
I'm new to rimfires & just bought a Browning Buck Mark based on input from a few friends who do it & the owner of my LGS, where I bought it, threw in that brick of AE. Now I know why. I should just pull the bullets out & use them for sinkers when I take my grandson fishing next summer. ;)
Hahaha! Well... Enjoy the Buckmark with some other ammo. Sorry you had troubles with the American Eagle. If it's worth it to you, you may try contacting Federal and telling them you're having trouble with it. They may have you send it back to them and they can replace it if it's a bad lot. Might not be worth it since it was a gimme with the pistol.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Everyone has firearms that don't like a certain kind of ammo. I have three .22 rifles, though, and all three have no problems at all with American Eagle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts