Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I just bought another box of the American Eagle .327FM ammo 100 grain JSP. I had a $5.00 off coupon so the box of 50 rounds came to $24.00 & some change. My question is I have read here on the forum that you have to be careful when using this Federal .327 brass when reloading?? This ammo is the cheapest I can buy per 50 rounds I now have 260 rounds of ammo. I am wanting to buy a good reloading manual that has a variety of powder choices if possible for the .327FM. I currently have 2400, Unique, & some H110 powder to build my reloads with. I am also going after the first of the year either Acme or another competitor for some Hard Cast .32 caliber 100 grain LRNFP these look like a SWC design. But this type of bullet for my plinking loads. I have my reloading dies now just need the bullets. So if you guys might have any loads you use with any of the powders I have mentioned & can share this information with me I would really appreciate it very much. Now I need to go shoot some ammo to get some brass with for my reloads. I might also order some Starline brass as well. I very much appreciate any comments & suggestions thanks in advance!!!:D;)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Check all of your Federal brass for splits before loading. I have had several pieces split on factory firing. It's not an over sized cylinder, that's just the nature of the beast. It is a very high pressure cartridge, and the AE 100's are probably the highest of the factory stuff.

I like a lead RN 90-100 grain boolit over Unique at about 1000 FPS for plinking. This load is cheap and fun to shoot. I like a 100 grain XTP over H110 or AA9 when the SP 101 is pulling carry duty.

I have found most powder manufactures have more data on their websites than Load Manuals. The books I have don't have a lot of data for the 327 mag. I have found the most in Lymans Cast manual. There in a lot of knowledge on The Firing Line Forums. Just search "Share your 327 Fed Mag load data.

Keep in mind also that Federal recommends a Small RIFLE primer for the heavy loads due to the pressure this cartridge runs.

I split range time up between a couple of Single Sevens (4 5/8 and a 5 1/2), a Blackhawk, and an SP101

Good Luck and Have fun

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Hi guys I just bought another box of the American Eagle .327FM ammo 100 grain JSP. I had a $5.00 off coupon so the box of 50 rounds came to $24.00 & some change. My question is I have read here on the forum that you have to be careful when using this Federal .327 brass when reloading?? This ammo is the cheapest I can buy per 50 rounds I now have 260 rounds of ammo. I am wanting to buy a good reloading manual that has a variety of powder choices if possible for the .327FM. I currently have 2400, Unique, & some H110 powder to build my reloads with. I am also going after the first of the year either Acme or another competitor for some Hard Cast .32 caliber 100 grain LRNFP these look like a SWC design. But this type of bullet for my plinking loads. I have my reloading dies now just need the bullets. So if you guys might have any loads you use with any of the powders I have mentioned & can share this information with me I would really appreciate it very much. Now I need to go shoot some ammo to get some brass with for my reloads. I might also order some Starline brass as well. I very much appreciate any comments & suggestions thanks in advance!!!:D;)
If you can buy the 85 grain Federals, they shouldn't be so hard on the brass. Of course, at this point you should have enough brass to be able to spend some time on a backorder list for some Starline.

I am happy with loading 12.0 gr AA#9 as a good representative of the cartridge yet not a max load.

I had some extraction issues with my Single Seven but after asking Ruger to return the gun to me rather than scrap it for a trade and after buying a finishing reamer, we're good.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Check Midway for brass, they have starling 327 and 32 H&R. I got some a week ago.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Starline has .327 FM brass in stock right now.

Starline .327 FM

For plinker loads, I use the 90 gr. Hornady swaged SWC over 3.0 grains of Trail Boss - conveniently, a 0.7 CC Lee dipper delivers just that.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
To me that Hornady .32 caliber 90 grain SWC sounds like a neat bullet to use. ColoradoExpat the Hornady swaged SWC 90 grain bullet is no longer made or available. My thoughts are going back to the .32 caliber 100 grain LRNFP that looks like a SWC. Acme & other bullet companies make similar bullets.

·
Registered
967 Posts
That's a drag about the 90 grain SWC... I bought 500 about 2 years ago, and have been working through them. I think a LGS around here still has a box of them - I'll have to go get it!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
To me that Hornady .32 caliber 90 grain SWC sounds like a neat bullet to use. ColoradoExpat the Hornady swaged SWC 90 grain bullet is no longer made or available. My thoughts are going back to the .32 caliber 100 grain LRNFP that looks like a SWC. Acme & other bullet companies make similar bullets.
I use such a bullet but switched from Missouri to Penn to get a shorter ogive. The MO bullets wouldn't quite chamber and would bind up the cylinder of my Single Seven. I use the MO now for 32 H&R.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I also like the 327 FM. I have had to many problems with Federal brass in this caliber so mainly stick with Starline. I use Hard Kast sized to .313 RNFP that I get from my local LGS. What I prefer to use is the plated bullets by Rainier. I get them thru Midway and use these 95% of the time. Powders I've used with this caliber Lil'Gun, AA#9, True Blue,and 2400 plus WW296 and H110. I stick mainly with CCI 550 for the spark. Some good load data on the Winchester site and also on the Accurate Arms site. I've downloaded these pages and keep them handy. The Speer and Hornady bullets are on the expensive side so the Rainier 100 grainers are my first choice. I also use a Lee Factory Crimp Die for the plated bullets and normal seating die for the cast. Enjoy that little caliber.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I also like the 327 FM. I have had to many problems with Federal brass in this caliber so mainly stick with Starline. I use Hard Kast sized to .313 RNFP that I get from my local LGS. What I prefer to use is the plated bullets by Rainier. I get them thru Midway and use these 95% of the time. Powders I've used with this caliber Lil'Gun, AA#9, True Blue,and 2400 plus WW296 and H110. I stick mainly with CCI 550 for the spark. Some good load data on the Winchester site and also on the Accurate Arms site. I've downloaded these pages and keep them handy. The Speer and Hornady bullets are on the expensive side so the Rainier 100 grainers are my first choice. I also use a Lee Factory Crimp Die for the plated bullets and normal seating die for the cast. Enjoy that little caliber.
327 Fed Mag runs well above Berry's max velocity guidance.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I use to use Berry's bullets in 32 for my H&R. Their DEWC and HBWC in 83 grains were very accurate in a Smith I have but they only offer a 71 grain RN in 32 now and the Rainier I use have two and both are 100 grainers. I also checked with Rainier and they can be run up to 1500. I prefer the heavier bullet so go with the Rainier.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts