Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you use the ammo in the title for personal defense ammo?

I have not carried it in the several months that I have had an LCR 327 and a SP101 3" 327.

I use it mainly for target practice in my 3" SP101 and 85 grain AE for target practice in my LCR.

Both weights shoot very well in my guns and are accurate.

Doe any of you carry it?

I have Speer GD 100, UNDERWOOD 95 gr Extreme Defender and Buffalo Bore 100 Gr that I will carry most of the time.but have a couple of other brands that shoot well also.

Thanks

·
Registered
319 Posts
I would be worried about over penetration with that round. In my opinion, the velocity is way too high for self defense.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Nope. I carry the Buffalo Bore 100grJHP in my S&W 627 3", and I use the 85gr & 100gr for general shooting.

Both do really well out of my Henry .327 carbine - that 16.5" barrel really develops the FPS!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies! I may just stick with BB 100 gr and Speer 100 gr for SD in my SP101 3".

Thanks!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Gel tests I've seen show the AE 100 gr bullets don't expand out of a 2in snub. And over penetrate.

The 100gr Speer Gold Dot has about the same velocity, but expands to .5in and has more reasonable penetration.

The GD is a better SD choice.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I would not use this ammo for self defense as there are a few better options. It is good ammo, but I decided to do a bullet expansion test about a month ago after seeing a few clips of the bullet not expanding and reading some folks saying the same thing. Maybe they fixed the expansion issue, because the recent lot I tested had decent expansion from a 4.62" single seven, star pattern but no where near as much as a typical hollow point like a gold dot, reminded me more of how an x bullet expands. It penetrated 4 complete jugs of water with the expansion, tells me it would make a decent hunting load and would be serviceable from that revolver for self defense but not ideal. Lucky gunner has some test clips on their site showing no expansion from snubbie or a 4 inch, so it would be reasonable to say federal improved the bullet to promote expansion in the latest lots of ammo based on my own test. If you decide to use this ammo for SD, get a new lot of ammo and not old stock.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I use it and have dispatched 4 legged varmints and snakes with it.

Penetration could be an issue

1 - 7 of 7 Posts