Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought one, plan on reloading and was wondering if anyone here is and if you can give me an idea where to start. I'm not new to reloading, just new to the Creedmoor.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Buy a box of 120gr and one of 140gr ammo(I used Hornady). See if it prefers one weight over the other. My Target model seems to like the lighter 120gr bullet slightly better and my RPR doesn't seem to have a preference, it just likes to be fed. That being the case I reload the lighter Hornady A-Max bullets. Actually there was a shortage of 120grs so I switched to the 123gr A-Max's with no difference. I load to 39.3 grains of Varget. My Hornady manual lists 39.2grs Varget as max but the Hodgdon link lists 40.2 of Varget as max so there is some variance. Hornady developed the cartridge but Hodgdon make the powder so I'm sure both have a clue as to their data.

Hodgdon Reloading | Home

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Metlhed! I haven't been on here in a while and just found this today.
My rifle came in yesterday and I've already purchased 2 different bullets to try, 127 and 140 grain. Just waiting for new dies and brass to arrive.
I did a little work on the trigger today and now have a crisp 32 oz trigger. I can't wait to get this to the range.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Range report; using Barnes LRX 127 grain bullets. I made 3 different test loads and this was my best group. I like these Ruger Americans! I believe with a little tweaking I can get it under 1/2".

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update on my Predator 6.5 Creedmoor.
It really likes my hand loads of 140gr. Hornady SST.
ATT_1454027598863_11152.jpeg

·
Registered
143 Posts
That looks great. I have one in .243 and get similar results. These guns are keepers.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, I picked up a can of superformance last night going to try it with 140gr ELD, have you had any luck with extreme powders?
I haven't used anything except the Superformance and IMR4064. I've heard that H4350 is pretty good.

Let me know hot the 140 gr ELD shoots.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have been trying a lot different powders and bullets in my 6.5 RPR . 142 SMK's seem to do the best in my rifle with H4350 . Everything I tried did well. The SMK's just did better. I haven't tried Bergers yet, however I have some on order. The 6.5 American is hard to find in my area. Good luck, the American Predator is a nice rifle.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I picked up a Creedmoor Predator and am looking for a wood stock, anyone switch stocks? Recommendations?
Hello Navy, congrats on the new rifle. Take a look at Boyd's stocks. They usually need a little fitting but nothing too complicated. I have 2 Americans and have put a Boyd's on both of them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts