Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Cat Herder
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I bought a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Grendel (new rifle). I've been pumped to finally shoot it, and finally got to today (outdoor range should be COVID free right?). First off, this thing shoots like a laser. I had picked up a Styrka 3-9 scope from Sierra for $90, and within a few shots was zeroed at 50 and a couple more to a 100.

The downside, and my question(s): feeding rounds was a frustrating chore. Using the factory mag was a struggle, the 10 round E-Lander I bought wouldn't feed at all, and a 5 round AR Stoner would kind of feed with enough jiggling. The bolt would catch on something (not sure what), the round trip would catch the edge of the barrel, etc. There were too many catches to even list them all. I had to single feed with both hands for faster chambering (one in the magwell steering rounds, one pushing from ejecting port).

When I got home, I shortened the E-Lander spring and that helped some (it actually feeds now), sometimes it dents the brass though.

So the questions: is any of this normal? And secondly, can I switch out to a rotary or AICS mag instead of the AR, as both are designed for bolt guns and should feed better? And finally, is it normal when looking in the receiver to see the threads for the barrel (there seems to be about half an inch of unused threads on the receiver portion)?

·
Cat Herder
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some additional info- the bolt is very slick with no mag installed, and still pretty smooth with a mag. It won't feed the snap caps at all really, but it will feed brass or steel case ammo after I shortened the E-Lander springs. I also shortened the AR Stoner spring, but maybe too much. I'm leaving the CPD that came from the factory alone.

Ruger sent me a shipping label when I called them, but with all the craziness going on right now, I don't want to drive 30 miles to the nearest shipping center to the nearest city that now has confirmed COVID-19.

Worst case, I hang on to the rifle that shoots very well but feeds like crap until things calm down.

·
Registered
96 Posts
As much as I like E-landers in my ARs, they do take the most effort to chamber in the Ruger Predator.
For me, my ASC 15 round mags run the smoothest although they get finicky when loaded to capacity. 12 rounds seems to be the sweet spot. CPDs run a close second and run fine in both my ARs and Ruger.
Part of it is the AR mag vs a rotary style flush mag setup but I can say for sure my Ranch .300bo (also AR mag version) is smoother to chamber, and I’ve only had it for 6 months more than the Grendel Predator. Maybe that steep shoulder on the cartridge?
I can pop rounds out of any of my Grendel E-lander mags by hand and compared to any of my .300bo E-lander mags it’s just not as smooth.

·
Registered
331 Posts
There is a Grendel forum that you may want to look into for more info on magazines that work/don't work with the Grendel as well as some tweaking to make certain brands work better. IIRC there are some tweaks to getting the e-lander to feed better. I've got one and I remember the tweaking helped. PM if you need the specific forum name.

·
Cat Herder
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I figured out the problem. It wasn't the mags, it was the ejector. The ejector wasn't pinned in place properly and stuck out slightly from the bolt. The ejector was catching the rounds. I believe the issue is fixed as it cycled Wolf steel case very smoothly.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
There is a Grendel forum that you may want to look into for more info on magazines that work/don't work with the Grendel as well as some tweaking to make certain brands work better. IIRC there are some tweaks to getting the e-lander to feed better. I've got one and I remember the tweaking helped. PM if you need the specific forum name.

I am sure others would like the name of the Grendel forum you speak of. I for one would.

·
Cat Herder
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
65grendel.com

I searched on there before figuring out the issue, but haven't joined.

·
Registered
72 Posts
As much as I like E-landers in my ARs, they do take the most effort to chamber in the Ruger Predator.
For me, my ASC 15 round mags run the smoothest although they get finicky when loaded to capacity. 12 rounds seems to be the sweet spot. CPDs run a close second and run fine in both my ARs and Ruger.
Part of it is the AR mag vs a rotary style flush mag setup but I can say for sure my Ranch .300bo (also AR mag version) is smoother to chamber, and I’ve only had it for 6 months more than the Grendel Predator. Maybe that steep shoulder on the cartridge?
I can pop rounds out of any of my Grendel E-lander mags by hand and compared to any of my .300bo E-lander mags it’s just not as smooth.

In your Ranch 300 bo, what is it showing signs of being happy with load wise?

·
Registered
331 Posts
65grendel.com
Yes, that's it. I didn't know if it was verboten to mention other forums. Some forums are kind of sensitive that way. It's a pretty helpful forum. I use it a lot as I built a 6.5 Grendel on the AR-15 platform.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Check out my thread, maybe the same issue. Way too common of an issue it seems, why Ruger hasn't corrected this is beyond me.

·
Cat Herder
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Check out my thread, maybe the same issue. Way too common of an issue it seems, why Ruger hasn't corrected this is beyond me.
I'll disagree with you. We had the same symptoms but different issues. I fixed my ejector (it wasn't properly pinned in place) and the problem was fixed as the ejector was sticking out from the bolt. Others have had mag issues in the past, yours seemed to be the stock. It seems that if the Ruger Americans have issues it manifests as a feeding problem but the culprit may vary. With as many of these rifles as they sell, I'd say it's a pretty small percentage that have issues.

·
Registered
96 Posts
In your Ranch 300 bo, what is it showing signs of being happy with load wise?
I don’t reload, just shoot factory loads.
ADI MSR 125 gr. Sierra match King shoots best for me, but plain ol’ Magtec is a really good plinkin’ round, both in super & subsonic loads.

65grendel forum is the best place for Grendel info, lots of threads discussing the Ruger AR mag version in 6.5g as well as mag issues with ARs in general. If you reload there’s tons of info on specific loads.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts