Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered a new american ranch .223. Its supposed to be here this week. Just wondered what factory ammo was shooting best out of these particular models. I realize each guns different, and i plan on trying several, just wondered what others were having luck with to maybe narrow down my starting point. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just bought a new all weather American in .223. Tried several different brands and bullet weights when I was sighting in my Nikon scope. When I tried Hornandy 53 gr. Superformance I had 3 rds. touching at 35 yards. This is as far as I shoot on my range so I didn't get to try 100 yds. due to the weather. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. Is your all weather an 8 or a 9 barrel twist. These ranches are an 8 with a 16 inch barrel. History says with that twist lean towards a heavier bullet, but alot of the reviews ive read say they are shooting the smaller bullets good.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I had no luck getting a sub moa with 55gr. Hornady SP. Never tried a different factory ammo but started reloading and was able to get 3/8" groups at 100 yards with a 69gr. Barnes match burner.

I would try a heavier bullet. With the tight twist they will stabilize better.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bowyer,

Thanks for the info. Are you shooting this out of an american ranch? If you get a chance could you post me your full recipe for those handloads. I dont reload myself, but have a couple friends that do. If i cant find an ammo to achieve what i want i can get them to load for me. Thanks again.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Bowyer,

Thanks for the info. Are you shooting this out of an american ranch? If you get a chance could you post me your full recipe for those handloads. I dont reload myself, but have a couple friends that do. If i cant find an ammo to achieve what i want i can get them to load for me. Thanks again.

This is a 4 shot group. I have recently bumped the load up to 24 grains of IMR4064 and still getting the same accuracy. Mine is the Ruger American Rifle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
update

Tried the 53 gr. Superformance 1st. Shot inch and a quarter at best avg. more like inch and a half. Ok but not satisfied.

Decided to get a friend to do some reloading for me. I was looking for a round that shot at least moa using a bullet that performed well for coyotes as my primary hunting is chasing coyotes with hounds

Doing some research online i paid close attention to what was working well for the ar guys. I know this is not an ar, but a 16 inch barrel and 1/8 twist is much more common in the ar world.

I decided on a 60 gr. Hornady Vmax and benchmark powder. Read tons of great reviews on this combo.

1st batch loaded 24.5 grains of benchmark. Hodgdon lists 24.6 as max but plenty of guys are running 25. Measured up col. 2.244. There was a little more room to get on the lands but this was the max i could go for the clip to function.

Cleaned barrel and fired 2 to foul. Let er cool a bit and fired the 1st shot. Its the one in the red. Adjusted the scope and fired a 5 shot group in the pic. Center to center was .69 @ 100 yards
First try at a load and couldnt be happier!! Adjust down a little and fired a 3 shot group at another target that was just over a half. Im using a fairly inexpensive nikon 3-9 prostaff. This is plenty good enuff for me for a compact cheap gun/scope combo. Maybe it can do better but i wont be changeing a thing for the rest of the winter. Might play with more when it warms up in the spring and hunting is over.

Final results on the 1st 2 volunteers!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Good info, waiting on my 556nato/223 ranch american. Have you decided if the 5.56 is better than the 223 rounds? (For you)
I plan I getting an AAC Brakeout 2.0 for mine, any thoughts on muzzle brakes?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good info, waiting on my 556nato/223 ranch american. Have you decided if the 5.56 is better than the 223 rounds? (For you)
I live north of the border in ontario canada. Our selection of factory ammo and reloading supplies on the shelf of local stores is extremely limited compared to stores on the state side. So for that reason ive only used .223 stuff cause those components seem more readily available around here.

Havnt put any thoughts in muzzle breaks. My type of hunting is in and out of the truck and lots of walking, sometimes through thick miserable stuff. The whole reason i chose the ranch was the short easy maneuvering barrel so dosnt really make sense to add more to it. Later in the warm weather when im just plinking around the house i might dress it up a bit then.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Just wondering why you want a muzzle brake. Brakes are designed to reduce recoil and will make it a lot louder.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just wondering why you want a muzzle brake. Brakes are designed to reduce recoil and will make it a lot louder.
The 556/223 tends to have a lot of "flash" the aac brakeout is a brake and flash hider both in one, it also has the ability for quick attachment supressor.
The brake was recommended to me by someone who has the 556/223 ranch as well, got to put those threads to use ;)

·
Registered
258 Posts
The 556/223 tends to have a lot of "flash" the aac brakeout is a brake and flash hider both in one, it also has the ability for quick attachment supressor.
The brake was recommended to me by someone who has the 556/223 ranch as well, got to put those threads to use ;)
Who sells it? I haven't done any research yet but considering one for my 6.5 Creedmoor.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts