Ruger Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an American Ranch in 5.56 and I'm planning to put a Vortex Diamondback Tactical on it.
Either the 6-24x50FFP or the 4-16x44FFP.

I have a few questions that I need answered to help make my decision.
I would prefer the 50mm scope because my eye sight isn't that great and any extra light and magnification is always welcome.
That being said, is that too large of a scope to put on the ranch?
Would the 44mm be a better option because of the height difference?

Also, do I need to buy specific scope rings for this rifle, or will any 30mm rings work?

These may be basic questions, but this is my first bolt action rifle and I'd like to set it up correctly the first time.
I'd also like to avoid paying $200+ on vortex scope rings unless it is necessary.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
7,925 Posts
First welcome to the forum.

I would prefer the 50mm scope because my eye sight isn't that great and any extra light and magnification is always welcome.
That being said, is that too large of a scope to put on the ranch?
I'm not going to tell you what "I" think you need, it's your money and if you think it's going to give you the confidence you need go for it, and I'm not saying this in a condescending way. I have scopes that range from 20mm to 56mm........all were my choice. I personally don't know a single person who has a 50mm objective lens scope say......."Boy was that a dumb idea." Do I think it's to large?.....No.

Also, do I need to buy specific scope rings for this rifle, or will any 30mm rings work?
As far rings go, you need to make sure they will mount to a 1913 Pic rail so the rings will basically "lock-in" when they are tightened. I have set of Vortex PMR's, they're around $130 or so but you don't need to spend that much, but I would stick with the vortex line myself. They make very good rings.

If you are unsure of what height ring you need you can always call the manufacturer, (who ever you choose) and tell the I have "X" rifle and I plan on mounting "X" scope on it.....What ring height do I need? They've already done the homework for us....a couple of strokes on the keyboard they'll have an answer for ya.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First welcome to the forum.

I'm not going to tell you what "I" think you need, it's your money and if you think it's going to give you the confidence you need go for it, and I'm not saying this in a condescending way. I have scopes that range from 20mm to 56mm........all were my choice. I personally don't know a single person who has a 50mm objective lens scope say......."Boy was that a dumb idea." Do I think it's to large?.....No.

As far rings go, you need to make sure they will mount to a 1913 Pic rail so the rings will basically "lock-in" when they are tightened. I have set of Vortex PMR's, they're around $130 or so but you don't need to spend that much, but I would stick with the vortex line myself. They make very good rings.

If you are unsure of what height ring you need you can always call the manufacturer, (who ever you choose) and tell the I have "X" rifle and I plan on mounting "X" scope on it.....What ring height do I need? They've already done the homework for us....a couple of strokes on the keyboard they'll have an answer for ya.
Thanks for replying so quickly. I'm glad to hear what you had to say about the 50mm. I feel like it will make a difference for me, so i'm going to go for it.
Thanks for the heads up about contacting the manufacturer as well. I don't mind spending the money when it's on something important, I just don't want to have to spend the money twice.

·
Registered
7,925 Posts
Thanks for replying so quickly. I'm glad to hear what you had to say about the 50mm. I feel like it will make a difference for me, so i'm going to go for it.
No problem. I actually like my 50's and 56mm more than the rest of what I have. But everyone likes what they like, right? Enjoy the process.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts