Ruger Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the American Rifle Magpul edition in 6.5CM. First off, love the rifle sub MOA with factory ammo. Cleaning it is a pain since I have to remove the butt plate and cheek riser every time to clean, BUT something is up with the 5 round Magpul magazine that came with it. If I load a single round in the magazine it loads flawlessly and the bolt action is smooth. But if I load more than one round in the magazine it binds up halfway through the closing of the bolt. Sometimes it even jams. I can see a mark on the tips so it seems the bullet tip is hitting something. I have tried 3 different manufacturers of ammo all with the same result.

Anybody else having this problem or know of a fix?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Don't have that rifle. Suggested diagnostics other than just calling Ruger and see what they say. They might just send you another magazine.

Do you have another magazine you can try?

Does the magazine manually load and unload smoothly?

You can try 'exercising' the mag loading and unloading it or fold up some corrugated cardboard and use it to exercise the mag, being careful not to scrape off any cardboard into the mag (the USPS if-it-fits-it-ships boxes work well). Sometimes there are small burrs/flashing that might bind things and the exercising might smooth them out.

You might try taking the magazine apart being careful of launching the spring when the base plate comes off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I sent off a note to Magpul. Already took the magazine apart with no luck. I found if I load the magazine, insert it, then pull down on the magazine lightly and cycle the bolt it is smooth. It seems there is some slop in the fit in the front and the magazine has some up and down play. 🙁. Waiting to hear back before taking the rifle apart.

·
Registered
64 Posts
you should not have to remove cheek riser to remove bolt. If you have the American hunter, look in book it will show you how to remove bolt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can remove the bolt without removing the cheek riser BUT you can't run a rod through cause the riser is in the way... 🤔

1 - 6 of 6 Posts