Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I'm learning....I'm realizing good quality scope mounts and rings are a big part of good shooting results.
Some are telling me I should only consider steel mounts and rings like Warne.
They also tell me a one piece mounting base is preferred over a two piece like the American has.
What's your opinion?
Steel one piece mounting system? Picatinny rail Weaver Style?
Two piece steel mounts? Factory ones OK? Should base be loctited in?
Steel rings only?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm using a cheap Tasco scope which came with rings on my American. Once I sighted it in, it has been dead on ever since.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I used the factory mounts & med-high scope rings; works great... Maybe a little Locktite #42 on the ring screws too...

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
You’ll get dozens of opinions, here’s another one. I prefer the single base and steel rings. I always use Loctite 242 on all my scope bases. Most of my non Ruger rifles have Redfield bases w/ Jr/Sr rings. I also have used with good luck the Millett turn in rings like the Redfield Jr/Sr. I'm not real thrilled with the Weaver type set up but then again I haven't really used it. They could be the greatest thing since welfare. I do like the Ruger Integral rings.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've not found any steel bases for the American. Have you?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just picked up an American as well and wondered what profile rings you guys are liking the most? Are the low profile ones too low that it would interfere the scope and bolt? Are the high profile too high that its uncomfortable?

I plan on getting a Leupold VX2 3-9x40 and want it to be mounted SECURE. Another trick is to put bow string resin inside the rings which holds it in place a little more secure.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just picked up an American as well and wondered what profile rings you guys are liking the most? Are the low profile ones too low that it would interfere the scope and bolt? Are the high profile too high that its uncomfortable?

I plan on getting a Leupold VX2 3-9x40 and want it to be mounted SECURE. Another trick is to put bow string resin inside the rings which holds it in place a little more secure.
I'm gonna try the Warne 1'' medium Maxima Steel Rings with my Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40 BDC Reticle.
I was wondering about the stock bases though.
Should I use steel bases with steel rings to ensure stability and accuracy?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have 3 American's in 308, 270, 30-06.

I am using the stock bases and in all 3 I am keeping <1" groups consistently with Redfield, Tasco, and Nikon Scopes respectively.

The main thing is making sure the screws are tight and use appropriate thread locker.

I would make sure the rings you use can be tightened adequately.

There is an article: Ruger American Rifle | Guns Magazine

That I love!

Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts