Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I have an RAR in .308 that I picked up a week ago, and the mag seems to be a little too loose. Even when I fully load the mag, I can push the front of it up and it just flops back down. Has anybody else had this issue? I ordered a second mag from Ruger just to have on hand and I'll try that one when it comes in. I hope it's just the mag and not the actual stock causing this. I'd hate to have to send it back to Ruger before I even get a chance to shoot it. Anyway, just looking to see if anybody else has had the same issue. Thanks.

Shaun

·
Registered
766 Posts
I have the same rifle, but due to some eye surgery have not been able to shoot it yet. I did my clearance from the doctor and plan on taking it out this week. I'm not exactly sure what problem you are describing, but I just check my gun and the mag is in there solid with no detectable movement. I've cycle the bolt numerous timew with sap caps and never had a problem. I'd suggest checking the lip at the fron of the opening were the mag clips into. There could be something there.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The mag clips into the gun, but I can push up on the front of the mag from the bottom and there is quite a bit of play up and down. The mag seats tighter when it is loaded and the bolt is closed, but there is still some play up and down at the front of the mag.

I am also having some feeding issues if I cycle the bolt fast. The bolt will ride up on top of the round and not strip it all the way from the mag. This only seems to happen on the second to last or last round. I'm thinking that the feeding is being caused from the mag being a little loose. Hopefully the new mag will cure the problems.

·
Registered
766 Posts
When I checked mine it was with an unloaded mag and no movement. I would suggest seeing what happens with the new mag. If that works, call Ruger and I'd bet they would send you a replacement for the original. If the new one doesn't do the trick, they've always done right buy.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I'm just going to wait on the new mag for the moment. Thanks for the help.

I saw a few American rifles this weekend but didn't even think to check the mags on them to see how tight they fit in the gun.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Good luck with Ruger. I shot mine this week and was able to go less than a 1" group at 50 yards. I'm may try at 100 yards this week. I'm using 37.3 g Varget with 150 g Hornady BTFMJ.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mnh2obuff, I'm jealous. I had the scope mounted and was ready to go shoot this weekend. I was really hoping that the new mag would work, but no such luck. I'm a little bummed. Oh well, as long as Ruger will get it right I'll be happy.

Shaun

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hey folks,

I have an RAR in .308 that I picked up a week ago, and the mag seems to be a little too loose. Even when I fully load the mag, I can push the front of it up and it just flops back down. Has anybody else had this issue? Anyway, just looking to see if anybody else has had the same issue. Thanks.

Shaun
Nope. Mag is a bit loose when empty, but firm and tight when loaded.
Hopefully you just have a faulty mag.
Wish the dang things didn't cost so much!

·
Registered
766 Posts
I got to shoot mine today and it was great. I used three different loads so POI varied, but each load grouped in the 1 inch range at 50 yards. I'm still having issues with my focusing after eye surgery so I didn't go out further.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After talking with Ruger they wanted to see the gun, so they emailed me a prepaid UPS label. I dropped the gun off yesterday. Hopefully they can get it figured out.

Shaun

·
Registered
6 Posts
i sighted mine in friday for the first time and had no problems with the gun or the mag i was hitting a 3/4 inch group @ 100 yards with federal 150 grain ammo so good luck with yours i love mine

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got mine back from Ruger last Thursday. They decided to replace the stock on the gun and everything is fine now. I took it out and shot it this past Sunday. Nothing spectacular, so I'm going to try a few different ammos and lighten the trigger up some. I think I was shooting about 1.5" groups. I love the gun though, I really enjoyed shooting the gun and had a blast doing it, even though it was giving me a beating. .308 in this light gun really kicks.

Shaun

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was using some shooting bags, but I was thinking about picking up one of the shooting sled type of devices. I know the gun can shoot, but I was getting tired and my eyes were fairly fatigued. I'll get back out soon and see what it'll do.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Shot my rar 308 the other day, ay 100yds; had 2 of 3 at center bull, touching each other - I'm well satisfied...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.