Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I hope this is not off topic, i have purchased a small supply of .40 s&w ammo for my sr40 but have two othe guns a charter arms off duty and s&w model 19, they both have limitations as to what ammo i can use. First i was told that the off duty cannot fire +p ammo so you are limited to what ammo i can use. I did a google on the model 19 and it seems that s&w with all their wisdom gave this gun an achilles heel, due to clearance problems a notch was cut on the barrel end and if magnum shell were used all the time a crack would accur in ths area. What ammo woud you suggest me stocking up on for use in these two guns :confused:

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
For the Charter I would use Federal .38 SPL Hydra Shock Low Recoil or Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel .38 Spl. As for the S&W 19, I have never heard or seen a notch cut into the end of a barrel. Did you buy the gun used? Perhaps the previous owner did the cutting. Sometimes you may see "flame cutting" of the top strap at the gap between barrel and cylinder. A model 19 should be able to digest any .357 magnum load. I like to use 125 gr JHP Federal HST for defense in my gun. The model 19 will also function well with any .38 SPL load.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The gun was purchased new, this is from an artical i read "As it turns out there were a few problems with the model 19 when digesting lots of full power 357’s. Small cracks began to appear at the six o’clock position of the forcing cone along with some cutting of the top strap. These problems weren’t considered a big deal with owners at the time.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
The gun was purchased new, this is from an artical i read "As it turns out there were a few problems with the model 19 when digesting lots of full power 357’s. Small cracks began to appear at the six o’clock position of the forcing cone along with some cutting of the top strap. These problems weren’t considered a big deal with owners at the time.
My first revolver was a S&W Mod19. I never heard of the cutting you mentioned, but a gunsmith friend I seriously trust advised me to avoid shooting a lot of .357mag since the light frame of the 19 would not "hold up". He only mentioned shooting loose and cylinder problems. After a couple of years shooting the the S&W, I traded it for a Ruger Secutiy Six. :D

·
Registered
815 Posts
My first revolver was a S&W Mod19. I never heard of the cutting you mentioned, but a gunsmith friend I seriously trust advised me to avoid shooting a lot of .357mag since the light frame of the 19 would not "hold up". He only mentioned shooting loose and cylinder problems. After a couple of years shooting the the S&W, I traded it for a Ruger Secutiy Six. :D
good ole' S&W! funny, i've never seen a "S&W only" load in a reloading manual

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
An ammo manufacturer I like really well is Buffalo Bore. www.buffalobore.com
They make a non +P .38 Special 158gr Lead SWC HP. The ammo is rated at 850fps & I've actually chronographed it at 867fps from a 2"bbl. The HP is almost big enough to drink coffee out of.

For years I've used Rem. .357 125gr SJHP ammo & it shoots really well. I don't run a lot of except to check POI & function, I prefer a .38 Special load for everyday shooting. The Rem. .357 load has a long established record on the street as being more than adequate.
Frank

·
Registered
350 Posts
I owned a K-frame S&W .357 Magnum, & sold it once I discovered that feeding it a steady diet of full power .357 Magnum loads was not recommended. Extremely disappointing.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well this one was given to me on my birthday by my wife using tip money she saved 25 years ago, so i guess i just put it away for the day they plant me in the ground and i take it with me :D

·
Registered
338 Posts
You stated the problem on the Model 19 partly right. The problem was seen when magnum loads with LIGHT (125 grain) bullets were used. I've used my Model 19 pistols for decades with very hot loads and have NEVER noted any adverse effects.

I am a fan of heavy bullets (158 grain) so that may explain my results. I simply don't use light bullets.

I love hearing about those "problems", though as it keeps prices down. Model 19 prices will be lower because of the forcing cone "defects".

The S&W Sigma is low priced because of issues it had. Of course that was 15 years ago and the pistol was completely redesigned but the old issues keep the prices down.

"Idiot scratches" on 1911 pistols caused by the slide release also take $100 off the price of the pistols.

That works great for guys like me who won't let that nonsense like that worry us.

Flash

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is great news, i am with you on the heavy bullets, i like 180 grain in my SR40 and when i had my Super Black Hawk i used 240 grain JHP. I remember shooting thru a railroad tie one time at a shooting range used as fence posts when i was in the Airforce out in California :)

·
Registered
350 Posts
It's my understanding that the problem w/ the K-frame revolvers is twofold. (1) Lighter bullets (110 gr. & 125 gr.) negatively affecting the forcing cone, & (2) larger bullets (158 gr. +) at original loading specs throwing the timing of the K-frames out of whack. Of course, as always, "your mileage may vary". I simply find it preferable to avoid these potential problems altogether by owning a Ruger, which is built to handle any combo of light or heavy loads one wishes to throw its way.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I lost a nice S&W M19 that cracked at the 6:00 position on the forcing cone. This is where there is a flat spot machined under the forcing cone for clearance when the cylinder is in position. I was shooting 125 gr bullets when it happened. The barrel on my gun was stamped "357 Magnum" and I thought they meant it. That is in the past and S&W promptly replaced the gun with a new M620 and it does the job for me. I would not advise using 125 grain or lighter bullets in a M19 after the experience I had. I'm sure there are those that do but I wouldn't. If you do a search there is other information out there on this subject as well.
Cary

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
My thoughts on .38 Special +P is that they are way below .357 mag pressures & they would be fine for extended use in a .357. Still I favor heavy bullets for general use, however I carry the Rem 125gr JHP .357 in a .357 mag gun. When I carry it for hunting or in the field, I use a mid heavy .38 Special 158gr load. If I need or want more power than that I'll carry a .45 or .44.
Frank

·
Registered
338 Posts
Boy, these problems go WAY back! the only out of time issues I recall are those on the big "N" frame 29's in 44 magnum after extended, high power load use. That out of time condition was the reason that the model 29 "Classic" with the full lower barrel lug was introduced. That "Classic" should not be confused with the "Classic Series" which included older, reintroduced models.

The full lower lug is the key difference outwardly. The lockwork and grip frame style were also different but those features are not easily visible.

EDIT
Back in the days when I shot lots of Model 19's and Pythons, the Colts were the pistols that had a reputation for going out of time. That was long before the Internet! I sold my Pythons in favor of the M19's. For some reason, I just shot the S&W revolvers better.

Flash

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I now have a question regarding target ammo for my SR40, i read an article ( could not find it again to post it) the writer stated that you should use 165 grain and not 180 grain, what are you thoughts on this ? It had me quite concerned about using 180 grain due to safty reasons. It was quite indepth and if i find it again i will post for others to read. Found the link : http://greent.com/40Page/ammo/40/180gr.htm

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
With the shortage of ammo at my local Walmart, i am looking into placing an order online. I have read several articals on this site regarding UPS requiering a signature, it this a requierment on all online Sellers.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
With the shortage of ammo at my local Walmart, i am looking into placing an order online. I have read several articals on this site regarding UPS requiering a signature, it this a requierment on all online Sellers.
You don't need a signature with SGammo, AmmoToGo, Palmetto State Armory -- ones that I've personally used.

SGammo I believe charges a few bucks extra if you want UPS to demand a signature.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts