Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any suggestions for a manufacturer whose rounds feed reliably into the SR 1911? From what I see online, so far, the SR 1911 pretty much accepts all the ammo I've seen tested. Any feedback?

Thanks much.

Stay safe, and Watch your Six !

Sarge

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
I shoot and carry 230gr ball ammo. It's been a fight stopper for over a 100 years. But critical defense ammo works well.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I have not had any problems feeding everything [and I mean everything] thru my SR1911. Even my preliminary reloads have fed, fired and ejected flawlessly.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
To date, my SR1911 Commander has fired the following brands and types of ammo with zero malfunctions: Remington 230 gr. round nose; Federal 230 grain round nose; PPU 230 grain round nose; TulAmmo steel case 230 grain round nose, and Speer Gold Dot 230 grain hollow point duty ammo.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SR 1911 Ammo

Thanks for the feedback, I bought a box of MagTec 230 grain Round Nose when I picked up the Pistol. I'll continue to use Round Nose as I go, but will switch to a higher quality Mfg like Remington or Gold Dot. They tell me you can't buy Black Talon anymore, but I'll look around for those Hollow Point rds
for personal defense as well. But your spot on about the Round Nose being around for a long time. Thanks again,...

Stay safe, watch your Six !

Sarge

·
Banned
650 Posts
Freedom Munitions has XTP ammo at a real good price. I bought 250 rounds for my 357 mag. At their price if you do not like the ammo you can shoot it at paper. For the calibers I have bought FM ammo they more or less copied the Hornady Custom loading. I get a little more than 1,300 fps 158gr from a 6.5" Blackhawk. Have not checked them from my SP101. Will probably be around 1,100 fps from a 3" barrel.

·
Registered
84 Posts
IMHO, stay away from Russian .45 ACP. I have never had a problem with any U.S. or South African manufacturer (over 15k rounds). Have fun and stay safe.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ammo choices

Thank you all for the feedback. Remington Gold Dot has been recommended as well as the Defender load for anti personnel rounds... But I appreciate the Forum and all you folks responding... Great info.

Stay safe, Watch your Six !

Sarge

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
You have come to the right place for great info and advice!

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
2,389 Posts
My 1911s are loaded and carried with Winchester PDX1 Defender 230 grain JHP ammo.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Modern 1911s generally eat anything. The antiques are a different story.

It's the exception rather than the rule to find one that's picky and those that are, are so usually right out of the box but improve to zero problems as the break-in. Many feeding problems are caused by the mags being worn or damaged.

I've had two 3" 1911s that just would not run with flat sided Hornady XTP bullets, either reloads or factory fresh. I'd get maybe 2 rounds to run before I'd get a fail to feed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts