Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for suggestions from you all for ammo choices for my wife's new SP101. I am looking for a good (affordable) option for the range and a good (effective) option for home defense loads. She is very recoil sensative so I am looking for 38 suggestions. Also, how much more recoil is there with +p rounds. I have seen many suggestions for FBI loads but I am unsure of the recoil for this round. Thanks for any suggestions.

DSTEP

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,423 Posts
DSTEP, 148 grain 38 Special hollow base wad cutters (HBWC) are the cat's meow for training recoil and noise sensitive shooters. They are the most accurate target load available and have the least recoil of any 38 Special. Actually, they make a decent self defense load too because of the nasty wound channel. If you can't find them at a store, you may have to ask a handloader make up a batch for you. 2.8 - 3 grains of Bullseye powder works perfect.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Iowegan. I will look for these on my next trip to the gunshop. I don't know any handloaders but will ask around if I can not find these through the shop. I also hope to PM you and request the IBOK once my post count is high enough. Thanks again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you too Taurus 9mm. That is probably the round that I would choose for my use. How are they for recoil (for wife's use)?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Rem 158gr. Lead Hollow Point +P (the FBI load) is pricey...28+ for 50---but powerful and low recoil....softer lead than the Winch. version....excellent defense load from 2"-6" barrel....

·
Registered
13 Posts
recoil 38spl

WWB 38spl from Walmart is an affordable option for the range. 100 rds for around $28. Rem SJHP 125gr in 38spl +P from WalMart is an affordable option for carry. 100 rds for about $32.

The recoil for +P will be noticable after shooting standard 38spl. But the recoil for +P is nothing compared to the 357 magnum.

I shoot and carry an sp101dao in 357 / 2.25 with the above loads. They are quite managable.

Make sure you keep the cylinder clean. Since 38 is about an 1/8 of inch shorter than the 357, you will have build up in the end of the cylinder.

·
Banned
723 Posts
You might want to check out the Speer Gold Dot 135 Grain JHP "Short Barrel Load".

I find it shoots almost to POA in my 38 Specials and doesn't seem to recoil as much. It's what I carry in my 442 and use as a reload for my GP100. The reason I use it as a reload is so I can load either gun from the same speedloader. One is just slower to load than the other because the Speedloader soesn't fit that gun.

Biker

·
Registered
22 Posts
I like www.mastercast.net for range ammo. They have a 100gr DEWC that has almost no recoil. If she is very recoil shy, my wife carries the TMJ DEWC 148gr load from mastercast in our S&W 638. The extra 10oz's of the SP101 should damped recoil dramatically! I think the DoubleTap +p 125gr .38 might work real well in your SP101.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks again to all of you. I am going to Walmart to check on the WWB for range use as it seems about the most cost effective. I will look at the Rem SJHP while I'm there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts