Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking for some quiet sub-sonic ammo that will cycle my Mark II. Ive tried Aguila Super Colibri (20 rain) which is super quiet, but wont cycle.

I also ran Aquila SSS Sniper Sub-Sonic (60 grain)...it cycles, but seems a little loud.

Anybody have any recommendations for the quietest 22lr that will still cycle my Mark II?

Thanks!

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
I did some research on this a while back to see if I could find something relatively quiet that would cycle my 22/45 Mark III. I never did find anything that could reliably cycle it and still be quiet.
Let me know if you end up finding anything. I just think the super quiet stuff doesn't have the oomph to cycle the heavy bolt on the semi-autos.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Something you might want to experiment with is cutting the recoil spring a bit at a time and trying it with the low-power rounds. Of course, you would need to obtain a new spring assembly to install when shooting normal rounds.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
I've tried most of the quiet stuff in my Marks, just for kicks, and results were pretty dismal. If you want to shoot quiet, subsonic ammo, a Mark is a poor choice to use. Besides, I haven't been able to tell all that much difference between the so-called quiet stuff and standard velocity 22s and those do fine in a Mark.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Something you might want to experiment with is cutting the recoil spring a bit at a time and trying it with the low-power rounds. Of course, you would need to obtain a new spring assembly to install when shooting normal rounds.
Im thinking about this, however, the recoil assembly is one piece, and is riveted together. It would be difficult to do to say the least.

Ive also searched high and dry for a reduced power recoil spring, but to no avail. :mad:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you want to shoot quiet, subsonic ammo, a Mark is a poor choice to use.
Ill agree, but it the gun I need to use.

Besides, I haven't been able to tell all that much difference between the so-called quiet stuff and standard velocity 22s and those do fine in a Mark.
Not me. The Aguila Super Colibri (20 gain) basically has no powder, and is whisper quiet...it sounds like an airgun. I also ran some CCI CBs which were noticeably quieter than standard rounds, but neither will cycle.

Oh well, Ill figure something out...thanks for all the replies.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Cci sv

Try the CCI Standard Velocity, rated at 1070 fps. I use it a lot while shooting my suppressor. It does not "crack" w/o the suppressor and it's the quietest accurate sub sonic ammo I've shot after trying a lot of them.

I buy mine locally at our Dick's Sporting Goods.

TK

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
The speed of sound is 1,125 ft/sec, so doesn't that make virtually all .22LR subsonic out of a handgun? I mean so long as you avoid the pricey hyper velocity stuff that Ruger tells you not to use in MKs & which isn't something you're likely to use much anyhow as it's really only for hunting & pests.

Federal bulk packs & CCI Blazer & Mini Mags are rated at 1,235 ft/sec or 1,260 ft/sec (40 gr RN & 36 gr HP respectively). Though that's out of a rifle. From a handgun that drops to more like 1,000 ft/sec, so subsonic.

Guess you buy a suppressor if you really want quiet. I recently saw a Youtube video of a threaded 22/45s and it was very impressive how well it worked. Of course, the $200 tax + suppressor cost way more than the $329 gun they're attached to. The bolt cycling was about all you heard.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Wolf are very quiet, group as accurately as any ammo I've used, and cycle nicely in my MKII Government Target Model. I even like the smell of them. I seriously doubt that any ammo would cycle with lower velocity. Their only drawback is their slightly greasy lubricant that will, over quite a number of shots, slime the area around the face of the bolt, though I've never fired enough at one time to render the gun inoperable. Made in Germany, they're not bargain ammo, but certainly not high price match fodder. Either grade works as good as the other, unless you're a .22 match rifle competitor looking to do pinwheels all day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts