Ruger Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out plinking prairie dogs at my brother-in-laws farm with my 22/45 MkIII. I'm guessing distances were 50 to 70 yards or so, but distance is hard to judge in the middle of a 1000 acre pasture. Any way, on some of the longer shots I was regularly putting rounds in the top and sides of burrows. I tried to compensate by aiming a little high (using Truglow red dot which I thought I had zeroed in at 50 yards) and only had limited success. After the first shot you only get to see their little eye balls and the top of their heads. There's no such thing as a body shot once they know what you're doing.

I was wondering if using a higher velocity round might help in shooting a little flatter at those distances. I was using Federal Champion blue box (36gr 1260 fps-rifle) and Remington Golden Bullets (36 gr 1280 fps-rifle). I'm aware that hyper velocity rounds should not be used in the gun. My question is what really is considered a hyper-velocity round. Is it 1300fps (seems low when many high velocity rounds are 1250 to 1280 fps), 1400, 1500, 1600 or even 1700 fps. I was hoping to try some CCI Velocitors (1435fps) or Federal Game Shoks (1430 fps). Would either of these be damaging to the gun?

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Not sure what the specs are but I've shot CCI Stingers out of my 22/45 and my 10/22 without any issues. I didn't realize until you said something that it wasn't recommended. Someone much wiser than I can comment and let you know what you should be doing, but I know I've shot a limited number of hyper velocity ammunition with both of my Ruger .22LR guns and neither have failed me yet.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts