Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good to see ammo back in stock in my area NW Georgia. Prices still high ie. Federal 556 .80-.85 cents a round.
Distributers keeping the price up on LGS. Despite that, folks are still buying.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I am seeing about the same.

Just like when prices went up, they are coming down, but not uniformly. I found 9mm brass for $17/50 at one place and $30 for the same at another. It still pays to shop around if you have the time to do so.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Prices wont go down untill people stop buying ... after that look for a few sales ... if things run like usual in about 10 -12 months the supply chain will over run the demand . When the dealers are elbow deep in ammo and need to move it ...then the prices will fall and some real sales will happen ... but with inflation the cost will still be higher than Pre-Pandemic days .
The present rulers seemed bound and determined to do everything to cause mass inflation in the cost of everything ... And I don't know why ? Inflation cripples a country .
Gary

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
The reason is to repay the money given away over the last 12 months, and going through the end of this year. In most cases, inflation will slow the economy, but will grow the GNP.
Raise prices and sales taxes go up.
Raise wages and income taxes go up
These leaders don't care about long term economic growth. They just want to refill the coffers so they can get re-elected.

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
These leaders don't care about long term economic growth. They just want to refill the coffers so they can get re-elected.
I think it's refill the coffers so they can spend (WASTE) more on garbage projects.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
I've also been seeing prices go down a little in my area. Two months ago 9mm (50 rds.) was selling for $29.99+. Stopped in last week and saw those same boxes priced at $23.99. Defense ammo is still high though.

·
Grand Inquisitor
2,120 Posts
I do not buy into political theories about this, namely because the shortages began under a different Administration.

Occam’s Razor: the simplest explanation is short supply, brought on by panic buying early in the pandemic, spurred on by millions of new gun sales. Supply is catching up, slowly.

Wait and prices will come down, even for primers.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Prices wont go down untill people stop buying ... after that look for a few sales ... snipped by Corndog
Today I did my part. I was bored so I rode my motorcycle to KYGUNCO to look at the bang toys. They had less ammo today than a few weeks ago. Still no 30-06. About half the 9mm was gone. 22LR bricks still.......gasp.......choke.....$80/500.

I bought a bag of tasty beef jerky and a bottle of tea, and sat outside chatting with the other motorcycle riders.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Walmart in Reno is selling 30-06 Core-Lokt for $18 per box of 20.
They are also selling 22LR for $16 for a box of 555
When they are in stock... which comes and goes regularly.

As to prices coming down... does anybody on this board remember when they could buy a new Chevy for $600, or a beach house in San Diego for $14,000?
Prices will never come down to those levels. Ever.
Anybody who thinks powder will go back to $14 per pound, and $0.50 for a box of 22LR is sadly naive.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Walmart in Reno is selling 30-06 Core-Lokt for $18 per box of 20.
They are also selling 22LR for $16 for a box of 555
I would like some of that here in my area.
I would like to see 9mm and 556 go back towards $10

·
Registered
146 Posts
With a pair of Pythons and an LCR-357 on the way, I'd love to score some 38 special ammo! One of my LGS, Armageddon Arms in Monroe, WA has some self defense 357 mag ammo in small boxes.

But I'd like some 38 special range ammo.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Our local gun stores have not had anything for quite some time and when they do it's way too high. Scheels had boxes of federal 7.62x51 for $64 for a box of 20, some others had boxes of 9mm at $45 for a box of 50, ridiculous. I have not looked locally and just go to ammoseek and buy online.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I get mine at WalMart, Rural King, Academy Sports, or Bass Pro........listed in order of best prices.

The gun stores are either paying more for it wholesale or gouging us.....either way, much savings can be had at the big boxes.

This hunting season will be interesting. There is very little if any common hunting ammo anywhere near me. Glad I saved a few rounds from last year.

·
Registered
116 Posts
It is my not so humble opinion, that Ammo Prices are NOT going back down to pre pandemic levels anytime soon if ever. And the supply chain(s) are shaky at best. This is an engineered scenario. Again, in my not so humble opinion.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Corndog;
I get mine at WalMart, Rural King, Academy Sports, or Bass Pro........listed in order of best prices.

The gun stores are either paying more for it wholesale or gouging us.....either way, much savings can be had at the big boxes.

This hunting season will be interesting. There is very little if any common hunting ammo anywhere near me. Glad I saved a few rounds from last year.

I have only found 30-30 on the shelf once in the last 18 months. That was @ Academy during the July 4th weekend. And it was outrageously priced to the point, I left it on the shelf. Thankfully, I have had the foresight to stock up previously when ammo was available. I went through the last 'ammo shortage' in the early 2000teens and saw the light so to speak. I buy what I stock when it find reasonably priced for the time.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
It is my not so humble opinion, that Ammo Prices are NOT going back down to pre pandemic levels anytime soon if ever. And the supply chain(s) are shaky at best. This is an engineered scenario. Again, in my not so humble opinion.

I agree with what you posted, except for the engineered part. I think we are just suffering through the perfect storm of Covid, civil unrest, AND a very anti-2A administration.

I am well stocked too, but learned before to never stop buying ammo till I sell my guns.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Corndog;
I agree with what you posted, except for the engineered part. I think we are just suffering through the perfect storm of Covid, civil unrest, AND a very anti-2A administration.

Too many incidents, background facts and general happenings for me to believe this is a coincidental scenario. Plus, I am history buff and believe that history repeats itself for those who fail to learn from it. And History is a helluva harsh teacher at times!

·
Registered
163 Posts
I do not buy into political theories about this, namely because the shortages began under a different Administration.

Occam’s Razor: the simplest explanation is short supply, brought on by panic buying early in the pandemic, spurred on by millions of new gun sales. Supply is catching up, slowly.
Agree ... Another thing people keep forgetting about is the total shut down of Remington. Which to my understanding was 25% of ammo manufactured in the U.S. Losing that much from the market on top of everything else made for a big shortage on the shelves.

I understand that the Remington name and products have been purchased are now slowly getting back up and running and the green box should be showing up on shelves in all calibers soon.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts