Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WOW did I get sticker shock today. My local gun shop received an order today from his distributer. In it was some Corbon 45 ACP +P in the 300gr soft point. When he did the figuring and reached for the label gun I leaned in to see what the price was. Could have knocked me over with a feather - 33 bucks for just twenty. Now I remember why I reload! And a 50 rnd box of Remington 38 spl in 158gr lead was 17 bucks, the same stuff I use to buy for $7.50. I know it's been awhile since I bought much centerfire stuff but I was totally shocked at these prices. When I asked he said that every order seemed to be higher that before. He didn't know why either.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Same with reloading components. I have been told that it is because of China buying up all the base metals that go into ammo. Makes you wonder just exactly what they are doing, and if our illustrious government knows about it.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I buy my hot stuff from my local guy-all my guns and accessory things...but for my practice ammo I buy the cheapest...sometimes it's him and sometimes it's WallyWorld...that's the facts of life...and if WallyWorld goes up...I'll have to raise my prices in the workplace...bread ain't 17 cents a loaf anymore...I'm still eatin'....and I'm gonna keep shootin'...no matter how badly they jack it up....I'm paying about 23 for Gold Dot .45 230gr. HP-20 rds...but ya gotta have 'em or ya just got a short club!!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
quote:Originally posted by sheepdog

I buy my hot stuff from my local guy-all my guns and accessory things...but for my practice ammo I buy the cheapest...sometimes it's him and sometimes it's WallyWorld...that's the facts of life...and if WallyWorld goes up...I'll have to raise my prices in the workplace...bread ain't 17 cents a loaf anymore...I'm still eatin'....and I'm gonna keep shootin'...no matter how badly they jack it up....I'm paying about 23 for Gold Dot .45 230gr. HP-20 rds...but ya gotta have 'em or ya just got a short club!!!
I believe you can get Gold Dot from www.ammoman.com for about $9.00 per 20. You do have to buy in bulk though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Mountain

I believe you can get Gold Dot from www.ammoman.com for about $9.00 per 20. You do have to buy in bulk though.
Okay, now add in shipping plus whatever else due to hazardous materials or whatever and what are you really paying??

·
Registered
18 Posts
quote:Originally posted by jimbo1096

WOW did I get sticker shock today. My local gun shop received an order today from his distributer. In it was some Corbon 45 ACP +P in the 300gr soft point. When he did the figuring and reached for the label gun I leaned in to see what the price was. Could have knocked me over with a feather - 33 bucks for just twenty. Now I remember why I reload! And a 50 rnd box of Remington 38 spl in 158gr lead was 17 bucks, the same stuff I use to buy for $7.50. I know it's been awhile since I bought much centerfire stuff but I was totally shocked at these prices. When I asked he said that every order seemed to be higher that before. He didn't know why either.
I buy from Spacecoast Bullets in Melbourne Fl. I get 100 rounds of 38sp 158gr fmj of jhp for $15. I can order 1000 rounds & arrange to pick them up at the Orlando Gunshow about every 8 wks and only pay $14 p/100. Or I can give him back 1000 empty cases and pay $13 p/100 for 1000 rounds.

I think this a good deal for someone that can't get into reloading due to living in an apartment. Although I did look into the cost & don't see where much money is really saved with the prices going up like they are for reloading materials.

·
Registered
82 Posts
quote:Originally posted by FL-CWL

Okay, now add in shipping plus whatever else due to hazardous materials or whatever and what are you really paying?? The EXACT same price!

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Thanks for the tip, Mountain!!!! I don't shoot enough hot stuff but that's a good price!!! I got 4 bx reclassified from a State Police shipment two years ago for that...but they were 50-round boxes...that deal comes once in a lifetime...I like what I've seen from Ammoman.....Midway's prices look good but they really break you over on the shipping...Ammoman's is included...

·
Registered
18 Posts

quote:Originally posted by FL-CWL

Okay, now add in shipping plus whatever else due to hazardous materials or whatever and what are you really paying??

The EXACT same price!
Wow, not half bad.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Almost every time I order ammo for my little shop, the prices has gone up. I don't even look at the wholesale catalogs anymore, because I know the prices are not correct.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I do wonder if they are driving up the price to make fooks not to have any. I reload and have for years, sure glad I do too.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I don't reload anymore-would like to but not now-I made a plan in Dec to buy 2 bx factory for each gun per month...stock up good...it lasted in Jan. and I haven't done it since...gotta get it done...if the pimple pops, ain't gonna be no Ammoman or local store, either...all those who haven't prepared will strip the local shelves and trucking will clog up bad....we really oughta think of it as insurance and make it happen...preachin' to my own self, I am...

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Stocking up on ammo isn't a bad idea, hedge against inflation if you are buying the self defense or specialty stuff, or any type if you don't reload. If you are a reloader, better start getting those primers and powders backed up. Hopefully you would already have enough brass, and the bullets you can buy in 500 or 1k boxes.

BTW, in response to FL-CWL --
AMMOMAN.COM has very good prices and the prices listed include shipping to your door. No hidden cost.

·
Registered
4 Posts
For the last 4 years I've been spending any extra $ on ammo. Now I'm concentrating on stocking reloading supplies. I've got the hardware but haven't started reloading yet. No one knows how the politicians will impact our habits, so I figure it's best to have a little hedge between me and them.
Just my 2 cents,

Beasley

1 - 17 of 17 Posts