Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the ammo restriction legislation that is supposed to be introduced will look like? I'm stocking up on magazines. I already have a lot of ammo and don't want to buy much more if I do not have to.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
I haven't heard of ammo restriction, but wouldn't surprise me to see more magazine capacity restrictions.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Unless there are forum members who are directly involved in drafting that legislation I would assume that what you are going to get here will be speculation. All based on good common sense, but speculation none the less. And I fear that common sense may be rare on any committee headed by Joe Biden. With that said, my opinion is that there will be some people trying to severely restrict access to the "scary gun" ammunition. .223, 5.56, and 7.62. I think there will be a push to limit on line sales and bulk sales. That's my two cents worth.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Good reason to reload. The saber rattling will keep the store shelves empty.

·
Reloading Addict
10,714 Posts
I heard so many of the fruitcakes making statements so I can't recall his name but, he thought micro-stamping bullets was a good idea. I guess I would have to start casting my own.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I'm hoping that all the emotional furor from the Sandy Hook tragedy dies down before any bill comes before congress. Gun control is one of Obama's stated objectives even though he's kept pretty quiet about it. Putting Biden in charge of writing the bill shows he's serious, "Plugs" Biden was responsible for the "Assault Weapons" ban of the Clinton era. Stocking up may not be a bad idea- in IL they want to pass a large capacity mag ban bill and if you can't show a receipt you'll have to turn them in.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
My own personal speculation can see a tax being added at the federal level...much like the tobacco and alcohol tax is levied long before the retail purchase is made. I think the people who do this stuff will rationalize the use of the revenue to increase funding for mental health services that the public seems to feel are another contributing factor to the current situation. I can forsee a pretty high tax on both guns and Ammo....consider it a long-term additional cost to the gun-user.

Mag size limits are pretty much a 'given' in this round... A finite definition of what an Assault Rifle really is will take a long time to iron out...but it will eventually pass the 'legal status'. The powers that controll all this may not come to your house and take your gun, but you can bet if you go to a public shooting range or public hunting area with a 'banned' gun it will be confisgated ASAP.

Please note...I do not support the concept, I am speculating at what one of the "coming changes" might be.

·
Wandering Sandlapper
3,282 Posts
Rather than a ban, I suspect you'll see a sin tax at the federal level and I'm sure some states will want to jump on board the cash cow.

Legislators realize none of this will actually have any impact on mass murders, so they'll use the issue to get what they want most, money.

Slap high taxes on ammunition and components and either sales will go down, or revenues will go up. Either way they can claim victory, and our costs go up.

As long as they think voters will buy the "it's for the children" argument they'll have no qualms about using this as an opportunity to push ideological agendas and raise taxes.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
Along with the California ban on "assault weapon" features and high cap mags was a ban on "armor piercing" ammunition.

I'm not sure exactly how they define it beyond that.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Either way just plan on grabbing your ankles. They wanna ban AR mags thats fine I cant afford the thing anyway, take my BX25s an ill be pissed. Nobody is shooting up schools with 10/22's. Again tho this a liberal agenda that just trumped all others. I would think the Debt that effects all of the country would be more important but clearly they are more concerned with out 2nd ammendment rights being taken.

Im gonna guess no more pistol grips, 10 round mag capacity, AKs and ARs are going bye bye. 9, 40, 45, 223 will double in price and be half as available. Reloading supplies will be scarce. Taxes on bullets and guns will be HUGE. Wait periods everywhere, stricter background checks (Which is dumb since Ive seen people with parking tickets get denied), these idiots are going to stick it to us harder then they have ever in the history of our once great country. Its perfect timing for Obamas lame duck term and the democrats goal of a new world order. Americans and their guns are all that stands in their way. Even China is calling for us to be unarmed and since they call the shots here in the ol US of A. If its not now it will be within 4 years.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Frankly with all this "End of the World" garbage I believe we will see more tragic events..Shootings or not it will ammo for more gun control. The emotion is not dying down this time around.

·
Registered
396 Posts
My own personal speculation can see a tax being added at the federal level...much like the tobacco and alcohol tax is levied long before the retail purchase is made. I think the people who do this stuff will rationalize the use of the revenue to increase funding for mental health services that the public seems to feel are another contributing factor to the current situation. I can forsee a pretty high tax on both guns and Ammo....consider it a long-term additional cost to the gun-user.

Mag size limits are pretty much a 'given' in this round... A finite definition of what an Assault Rifle really is will take a long time to iron out...but it will eventually pass the 'legal status'. The powers that controll all this may not come to your house and take your gun, but you can bet if you go to a public shooting range or public hunting area with a 'banned' gun it will be confisgated ASAP.

Please note...I do not support the concept, I am speculating at what one of the "coming changes" might be.
There is already a tax at the federal level- the Firearms and Ammunition Excise Tax is paid by the manufacturers and used for conservation. The cost is of course passed on the the consumer.

·
Registered
152 Posts
We had the same thing back in the late 80s that led to the assault weapons ban and magazine restrictions, and eventually background checks.

Whatever is done, it will be pure political posturing,

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Rather than a ban, I suspect you'll see a sin tax at the federal level and I'm sure some states will want to jump on board the cash cow.

Legislators realize none of this will actually have any impact on mass murders, so they'll use the issue to get what they want most, money.

Slap high taxes on ammunition and components and either sales will go down, or revenues will go up. Either way they can claim victory, and our costs go up.

As long as they think voters will buy the "it's for the children" argument they'll have no qualms about using this as an opportunity to push ideological agendas and raise taxes.
^this^

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
We had the same thing back in the late 80s that led to the assault weapons ban and magazine restrictions, and eventually background checks.

Whatever is done, it will be pure political posturing,
Well seeing how well prohibition worked I'm sure the same clowns who brought us Obama care will come up with some ridiculous way to raise money, squander it away, do nothing to address the real issue and claim success.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts