Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often do you guys carry the same ammo in your EDC gun before using it and putting new ammo in? Do you also change out mags so the same one isn't staying loaded/under pressure all the time?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I rotate mags monthly. I shoot my carry rounds in January and July then load with fresh ammo [Hornady Critical Defense].

·
Registered
84 Posts
Maybe I am anal, but I date my target/plinking ammo and shoot my weapons on a rotating basis. However, I rotate my carry ammo (9mm and .45ACP) every six months. I live in South Florida, where it is a challenge, even with DampRid, to keep up with the humidity.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I stick to a schedule much like sailmotion does. I number and mark all of my magazines to each specific gun 1- X (X=total number of magazines owned) and the total is usually six so that I have one for the gun and two spares for carry. So all even numbered magazines are loaded for carry and use on even numbered months/ consequently the odd numbered magazines for the odd numbered months. Smithy.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Sailmotion and others have it right.

Rotate the mags and use the ammo twice a year, I am coming up on new years weekend to replace mine. I am thankful for the fact I have not had to use the ammo.

·
Banned
2,657 Posts
Well, my CCW is a DA revolver so it rotates it's own ammo. ;)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Call your ammo manufacturer and ask what the shelf life is. Most will tell you 10 years.

In reality, most ammo will last 20-30 years without any problems.

If you want to buy expensive ammo twice a year for no good reason, it's your money.

By the way, I live in South Florida too. I shoot around 100 rounds per week and have never had a problem with humidity causing an ammo malfunction.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Yeah, count me in the once a year club too. I will rotate which round gets chambered each time when I change out the mag. Federal Hydroshock is great. Happy New Year all.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Call your ammo manufacturer and ask what the shelf life is. Most will tell you 10 years.

If you want to buy expensive ammo twice a year for no good reason, it's your money.

By the way, I live in South Florida too. I shoot around 100 rounds per week and have never had a problem with humidity causing an ammo malfunction.

^^^ This. Substitute South Florida with Houston.
Only thing I do is check for setback on a round I am re-chambering.

I do shoot a mag of carry ammo now and then just because, but I don't check to see if it is new or old ammo. Just verifying POA/POI. Never had a round not go off.

But whatever makes people feel better.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Might be overkill but Mags get swapped & sidearm gets lubed weekly.
"Warshot" gets shot out & replaced every calendar quarter.

·
Registered
23 Posts
With revolver ammo- Once a year, or whenever I feel like it- whichever comes first. With Pistol ammo the bullets can get nicked or get setback when re-chambering the same rounds over and over from reloading after maintenance or practice so I may rotate them within the mag more often so that it's not the same individual round that keeps getting re-chambered

If I don't have time to get to the range to fire the old ammo, I set it aside and mark it "range ammo" or some such this way I don't get it mixed up with new ammo.

·
Exalted One
1,717 Posts
Always keep all seven of my mags loaded. Rotate them whenever I get the urge by shooting (live on a farm) - no set schedule. My .380 EDC ammo is FMJ, so no need to set aside PD ammo. All mags are numbered and have never shown any indication of humidity damage to them or the ammo. Pistol gets cleaned (sometimes just a wipe-down and a bore snake) about once a week to clear out whatever dust or lint finds its way in. I keep it pretty dry. Goes bang every time.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
After the first 50 or 100 rounds, I never shoot my EDC/SD ammo. No reason to. I drop the mag and leave it at home when I go to the range and use my spare mags for the practice ammo.

Maybe once a year, I will swap out the EDC mag with a training/practice mag. At 67 years of age, I think the HD ammo will outlast me.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts

"...for no good reason" - Hmmm? Self-defense ammo = no good reason? I suppose owning a $5 motorcycle helmet made in China and picking up a used Ford Pinto for your daily commute also makes sense. ;)

"...have never had a problem" - Yet!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've been shooting ARs for years and I'm used to springs in cheap mags got my bad and as a result, it makes me paranoid to leave my Ruger mags loaded all the time. I tend to empty and rotate mags every six months or earlier if I'm feeling groggy.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
"...for no good reason" - Hmmm? Self-defense ammo = no good reason? I suppose owning a $5 motorcycle helmet made in China and picking up a used Ford Pinto for your daily commute also makes sense. ;)

"...have never had a problem" - Yet!
There is absolutely ZERO guarantee that ANY round will go off........be it a day old or 10 years old. Your ammo does not break down. I have recently been shooting up some ammo that my dad loaded in the early 60s. They still look new and shoot the same

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
While I was a police officer in So. California, we had our ammo replaced once a year, and it was shot on that qualification day, that used to be once a month.

Might have been a bit of over kill (pardon the pun), but I never really minded the routine. "Better safe than sorry" as the saying goes. However, as I'm having to pay for my own ammo now, and the fact I use Hornady Critical Defense, in my 380, 9mm, and .45acp. It depends on what the weather is like out here, in which arm I carry. I will keep the SD ammo in my firearm at least 3 years or less, depending on which firearm I end up carrying the most.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
There is absolutely ZERO guarantee that ANY round will go off........be it a day old or 10 years old. Your ammo does not break down. I have recently been shooting up some ammo that my dad loaded in the early 60s. They still look new and shoot the same
All true [except perhaps the "...ammo does not break down" comment]. Because of the unpredictability of ammo, this is why everyone who carries and trains for self-defense should be proficient at tap-and-rack. I would also be more inclined to go with high quality ammo in my defense guns - not because it's expected to be 100% reliable, but because it is expected to be MORE reliable than "practice quality" ammo. Like you, using your dad's ammo from the 60's, I have shot a boatload of Communist-bloc ammo thru my Mosin with shockingly reliable results. Then again, my understand is this 60's, 70's, 80's vintage ammo has been stored in "hermetically sealed" containers. I'm sure that helps stall degradation which I suspect is inevitable.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.