Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
2,885 Posts
Steel or heavy wood shelving. No reason to have ammo in a safe. We go through so many shotgun shells that I'd need two more safes for ammo alone.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I keep mine in a chest-of-drawers in a spare bedroom, its packed. As good a place as any............

·
Registered
547 Posts
I bought some small safes/lockers on sale/run out I assume they are maybe meant for handguns they are about the size of a microwave oven. Stacked one on the other from the floor to above eye height in the Gun room in a row. I bolted them together and then bolted the stack to timbers in the wall if for no other reason than to stop it ever falling with the bonus of knowing everything is stored out of harms way. Each one for a certain well used calibre with one having 4 calibre's ammo in it but they aren't used much so far its working well. Before that was metal locker with shelves but somehow boxes of different ammo would end up in the wrong shelf..

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I keep mine in an old wooden cabinet that my wife found at Goodwill. It has doors and 3 sturdy shelves and is large enough and strong enough to hold fifteen full 50 cal ammo cans.

The rest I have to stack in the closet in ammo cans.

·
Premium Member
13,950 Posts
Have powder, ammo and most gun accessories on shelf units in closet. Works great for me.

·
Registered
120 Posts
What do you use for ammo storage? I’m referring to cabinet/safe, not ammo cans.
In some states and/or municipalities ammo is required to be stored in a safe or lockable storage compartment. The Chicago progressive democrats have such a Bill pending in the Illinois House right now.

I like Stack-On security cabinets. They lock and can be dehumidified. They would not protect the ammo against fire or real thieves, but they are cheap and if you have a lot of ammo, price can be important.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I made a wood crate with a lock on it. Looks like a old strong box they kept on a stage coach and the robbers wood shoot the lock off to get the gold. I made it look old and stenciled "Wells Fargo" on it. Just a lot bigger than a cowboy size crate. I keep it on the floor in a spare room closet.

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
I’ve used the Stack On cabinets in the past. I’ve also repurposed cabinets being discarded. Since I don’t feel the need, and not required to lock up the ammo I’ve now gone to using heavy duty shelves in the basement near the reloading bench. Much easier to store, inventory and grab a box or two on the way to the range. Dehumidifier in the basement makes it a cool dry place to store my ammo and reloading supplies.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,169 Posts
I have a bunch of 50 cal GI ammo cans that fit nicely on the floor under my reloading bench. Works for me.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I don't have anything fancy like most of the people in this thread. I keep most of my ammo in two latching footlocker-sized plastic storage boxes you might see strapped down in the back of a pickup truck.

·
Banned
1,940 Posts
I have a bunch of 50 cal GI ammo cans that fit nicely on the floor under my reloading bench. Works for me.
That's exactly what I have and exactly in the same place too. The added weight keeps my reloading bench nice and stable too. I bought my ammo cans on ebay. I think they were only $10 each with free shipping when you buy at least a dozen. I bought 2 dozen and they are all full. I'm thinking about buying another dozen.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts