Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How much is a good amount of ammo to realistically have stored up? A wise buddy once told me if you can count how many rounds you have, you don’t have enough.

For some stupid reason I have never been a mass ammo hoarder, usually kept enough on hand to feed my range/woods and home defense needs. It’s been several years since I obtained a new firearm, but this last October I purchased a PC Charger (And a bullpup 12 gauge) after eyeing and fantasizing about them for a few months. Maybe it’s the new toy effect, mid life crisis, hell maybe reading too much end of the world news, anyway it reenergized my enjoyment for shooting. With that enthusiasm and a innate feeling of a need to prepare for hard times ahead, I realize I have not done my due diligence in stocking up adequately so just trying to figure out what kind of supply do others have, not as a comparison to see what I should attempt to get or store, more of a curiosity. Outside of recreational ammo needs, in reality if you need more than a magazine full you are in a serious firefight, if you need more than 3 magazines you are in a war.

So far I have been able to bulk up enough for personal needs for the near future, even in these ammo shortage times, just have to know when the trucks arrive at local ammo sellers to get my rationed two boxes. Most I paid was .55 cents a round for 5.56, which in hindsight was way too much, panic bought haha. But lately it’s getting harder to find much of anything, except for ridiculous gouged prices.

Anyway here is my supply so far:

Rimfire - 6,000
Handgun - 1,000
Rifle - 2,000
Shotgun - 1,100

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
3,198 Posts
It all depends on your usage rate.

I’m about where you are on centerfire pistol and “AR calibers”. Maybe 2x or 3x what you are on 22. During these shortages lately I tend to just stop using the centerfire and plink with rimfire.

But 12 gauge trap and skeet loads are another story. Sporting shotgun games are our main passion in the house so I’m now up to probably 45 flats of ten boxes each. I’ll buy more as I see it. If our family of four does a round of sporting clays that’s 100 rounds a person or a total of 1.75 flats burned up right there.

I have about three flats of upland lead game loads and bismuth waterfowl loads. Enough to get me through several years.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You have to stock up when times are good, and make sure your friends do as well. I have one friend who is not well prepared, so I offer to split a case when I buy. At least he's not empty now. I expect to be shooting rimfire a lot if other calibers get low.

I think a lot of the current shortage is due to every new gun owner needing a least a box or two to go with their new gun. Not all of them will be regular shooters so hopefully ammo production can catch up.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Some people think 100k isn’t enough. For me I have enough. But enough for what. If the time actually happens when I need to defend my home from the mob, we’ll, eventually I’m going to lose.

·
Registered
5 Posts
22lr, .223, 5.56, .308, 7.62, 7.62 x 39, 30-30, 30-06, 30 carbine, .380 acp, 9mm, 40 S&W, 38 spl, 357 mag, 45 acp, 45 long colt 12 ga slugs ... approx 20k + ready to shoot and the makings for 4k to 5k more.

Had a bad feeling 1 + year ago and got what I could afford. Now I'm glad I did.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I am good, but thanks for asking.

I believe in ammo commonality between platforms. I own common calibers.

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
3,198 Posts
Some people think 100k isn’t enough. For me I have enough. But enough for what. If the time actually happens when I need to defend my home from the mob, we’ll, eventually I’m going to lose.
You'd be surprised. Being perfectly serious here... Based on what I saw this summer, if one of them goes down, the rest scatter immediately. :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
You'd be surprised. Being perfectly serious here... Based on what I saw this summer, if one of them goes down, the rest scatter immediately. :)
Yeah probably, no one is coming to my house though. I’m far enough out where everyone around is probably well protected. I’d actually be more concerned about food supply.

·
Registered
531 Posts
It all depends on your usage rate.
Absolutely true, and a different amount for each person. I have tried to keep a one year supply, but in the past year or so I have attempted to raise that to a 2 year supply. Hubby has done the same thing, although he is seriously dipping into my supply of CCI mini mags since he has taken over my Mark IV Lite for most weekly club competition events.

My two shooting buddies and I feel it is important to shoot on some kind of regular basis to maintain basic proficiency. Beside that, shooting is our social/fun time together! We have each limited the amount of .380 and/or 9mm that we shoot each session and are shooting 2/3 or 3/4 of total for the day as .22lr. In fact, all 3 of us have M&P .22 Compact guns, so we "color coded" them with large dots of nail polish. That's a lot easier than remembering your own serial number. 😉 (We also mark our own magazines with a black Sharpie marker.)

·
Registered
405 Posts
Every Tuesday was trap day.
Three rounds, 75 shells.
Throw in cowboy shooting 1x or 2x and that is another two boxes or more.

I understand Gun Club, etc is easier to find than center fire ammo.
I have stopped shooting center fire, because I do not want to spend down my stocks while there is no end in sight for the current shortage.
Our match director is now allowing us to use 22LR instead of center fire ammo, for the this reason.

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
I’m good too.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I've got enough but always want more. I don't share exact numbers of my gun collection or ammo Stacie online but let's just say I feel no need to pay panic prices.

Reloading components are a whole other matter. I need way more bullets and primers.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I am good in my cache but want more to shoot weekly. I am keeping to 22lr as I stocked very heavy before pandemic.

Now I just need to start reloading to get ammo to shoot larger calibers weekly.

Over the years I have finally shrunk ammo needs to 4 calibers (including shot gun and 22lr).

·
Registered
159 Posts
In years past I never stocked up, I just purchased what I needed when I needed it, if I was unable to sign some out from the unit I was in. Then when I got into reloading I still only purchased what I needed when I needed it because there wasn't any reason to accumulate ammo or reloading supplies.

Then, Obama was elected and things went bats*** crazy. I was deployed overseas and was caught flat-footed with no ammo whatsoever for any of my long guns, and just a few hundred for a couple of my pistols.

Never again. When the panic subsided toward the end of his second term and prices came back down to normal, I began to stock up, and I continue to do so as my finances and my wife will allow, but I don't hog it all up and buy the store out, as I think that's bulls***.

Since then, there have been periodic states of panic that have caused severe shortages that I think are going to become more and more permanent as the Democrats continue to gain power and as they become more and more hostile to 2A.

I have approx. .22LR 15k, 9mm 3k, 5.56 3k, and various amounts of .357, .38 Spl, .45 Colt, .30/06, .30/30 etc.

I also have several thousand projectiles, 10s of thousands of primers, and many, many pounds of powder for several of the different guns I shoot. But I'm kind of afraid to expend anything but .22LR - and sparingly at that - because I don't know if I'll be able to replace it.

What I mean is, I'm in pretty good shape right now ammo-wise and reloading supply wise, but I don't feel like I have enough of anything.

Eventually even the most highly stocked up folks are going to find themselves running short.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
2,340 Posts
I currently have more than the LGS. They are asking me to sell them some. I still have some I purchased in 1992 when Bill Clinton won the election.

You are starting to push it when you have to check the floor loading limit.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Inventory is .22, .22mag, 9mm, .38 and .357, .44spec and mag, .45acp, .223 and 5.56, 12ga. Mostly SD factory loads, collected in case lots from mail order before the "big shortage" got really bad. I reload .38 and .44spec for target loads and plinking. Yet to reload .223 - saving my brass.

·
Registered
371 Posts
When ammo was around I'd buy what I shot that week plus 1 box. I try to shoot every week as I am retired and have time on my hands. I now see what I can buy and shoot some of that. I have 22LR, 17HMR, 9mm, 38spl and 357. I have an oversupply of 22 so I am shooting my Marlin 60 and Wrangler more than normal. Got lucky when I purchased my Security 9 and was able to get enough 9mm to break it in and test mags in my PC carbine.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts