Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you prefer ammo such as Berger bullets which shed most of their weight as shrapnel inside the animal without passing through or do you prefer a clean pass through like you get with any solid or copper core bullet?

Viceroy 馃煩馃煩馃煩
My "game" hunting has been limited to "medium" size game (deer, warthogs, etc.) in the US and Africa. I've never shot anything elk-sized or bigger. Within those parameters, I have always shot a 180 grain Nosler Partition from a .30-06.

I have never put much thought into it except I understood that the Partition was a good balance between expansion at the front of the bullet and penetration due to the partition. I read that many years ago and simply have never changed loads since. My Ruger M77 likes the load and every animal has always died within a few seconds.

I probably would have gotten the exact same results from a $16 box of Remington core lokt cartridges, honestly. Once you thump something in the boiler room with a 180 grain ought six, it's probably going to die fast. Maybe there are situations when bullets "fail" but I guess I've been lucky.

Now, if I were trying to shoot very large game with a 22-250 or something, then maybe I'd spend more time thinking about the bullet. I might also think more about it if I were hunting foxes or bobcat and trying to not damage the pelt. So I guess it all depends upon what type of hunting you're talking about.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe I should have been more specific. I hunt hogs and deer. Mostly hogs since we can hunt them year round here.

Registered
For hog hunting, you do NOT want a bullet that sheds weight; you want a bullet that will hold together and penetrate deeply.

For hog hunting with a 30-30, I use 170 grain JSP Core-lokts. If I'm using my .44 Magnum carbine, I use 240 grain JSP Winchester White Box.

A solid or copper core would be preferred over a bullet that fragments. Heavy for caliber bullets usually work best for pigs for a higher Sectional Density and penetration.

What caliber are you considering, chica?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For hog hunting, you do NOT want a bullet that sheds weight; you want a bullet that will hold together and penetrate deeply.

For hog hunting with a 30-30, I use 170 grain JSP Core-lokts. If I'm using my .44 Magnum carbine, I use 240 grain JSP Winchester White Box.

A solid or copper core would be preferred over a bullet that fragments. Heavy for caliber bullets usually work best for pigs for a higher Sectional Density and penetration.

What caliber are you considering, chica?
So far I have used 7mm and 7.62x39 and 44 magnum.

Viceroy 馃煩馃煩馃煩
Then I agree with Tater. Get something that punches deep. It doesn't have to be some expensive gee-whiz stuff either. Remington Core-Lokt killed animals just as dead many decades ago as it does today. Just my two cents.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I took those four hogs using my Rossi Circuit Judge in 44 mag, I was using heat treated solids.

Registered
I've only been hunting for four years now, but my Dad and I have always used Winchester Super X Power Point. I think these run about $20 a box for .308 and a bit less for 30-30. We don't go for the top of the line bullets and haven't felt the need to. These are of the soft point, solid core variety. We have experienced good performance. I cannot remember exactly, but most if not all hits have been pass throughs. I would continue to stick with this style of bullet because of my experience and also the ability to produce a blood trail with pass throughs. These have been used on WT deer and hogs btw.

Registered
Chica do you reload or are you limited to store bought? If you are shooting factory ammo, the bullets you used to harvest the hogs is a good choice. If you load, your choices are unlimited, but I prefer heavy for caliber bullets. I load 300 grain SP's over max loads of H110, at about 1500 fps out of my 1894 Marlin. robin.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts