Ruger Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to the group and I just bought a GP 100, 357 with 6 in barrel. I am wondering what everyone's favorite ammo is for whitetail deer hunting with a 50 yd max shot. I also would like to know what is a good 38 special round for target practice?

·
Ausmerican.
42,713 Posts
Welcome from Australia mate.
Glad to have you on board, nice folk here and lots of good info.
Great handgun, new or used?

·
Registered
872 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Nebraska! For .357, I'm using Federal 158gr JSP, and for .38 I use Remington 158gr. lead round nose. It all depends on what you find is accurate. I haven't taken mine deer hunting, but I have bagged three squirrels with my Blackhawk so far! Deer season in about a week here so that will definitely change! Good luck!

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I strongly dislike hollowpoints for deer hunting out of a pistol, i have seen them fail to penetrate enough on deer, even in bigger guns than .357. I would pick a 158 SJSP or even better, a WFN (wide, flat nose) hard cast bullet, or even a 158 cast SWC that is fairly hard will work well, a nice clean hole in and a nice clean hole out!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.