Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to pick up a couple of boxes (100 rounds) of .357 ammo for the next time we go to the range. Who's got the best ammunition for the price? I checked "Cheaper than dirt" but by the time you pay the shipping it's not such a great deal unless you're really stocking up. All the times I've been in Wal Mart and I've never bothered to compare their ammo prices.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I buy as much ammo at Wal-Mart that I can. There are a few things, like 5.56, that you can get cheaper elsewhere, but for the most part it's a great deal. The main issue is that it sells fast and they won't always have what you want. Get it while they have it.

·
Banned
359 Posts
Generally I find Walmart doesn't beat most online prices, but it's much cheaper than other LGS. CTD is one of the highest-price online seller. I usually find that Wideners has good deals but there are about a dozen sites that are worth checking regularly.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I bought a box of Remington 357 Magnum at Walmart about 2 weeks ago. The largest size box they had was a 50 rd box. It is Remington 125gr JSP and the price was $25.97. They may have it or other brands in 100 rd boxes at times or maybe they were just out of it. I know that Walmart doesn't seem to have as large a selection of 357 as they do other calibers.
2 boxes of the stuff I got would come to $52 per 100 rds.

It worked well in my GP100

·
Registered
947 Posts
I usually pick up a few boxes of ammo at gun shows for my different guns if I happen to see a good deal. I know you pay an admission fee to get into the shows, but we all go to the shows to browse anyway, so walking out with a few boxes of ammo is better than walking out empty handed. I always have several boxes of ammo in the cabinet for every gun I own so when range day comes, it's there to use.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have bought many thousands of rounds of ammo at Walmart. I have bought some .357 magnum in 100 count boxes (Remington UMC 125 grain semi-jacketed hollowpoints) at Walmart. I don't recall the exact price but I seem to remember it being $45.97. Not cheap, but it looks to be more expensive elsewhere. They have 100ct boxes of Federal 115 grain 9mm for $19.97, 100 count boxes of Federal 55 grain .223 for $34.97, 100ct boxes of Federal 180 grain .40 S&W for $27.97 (not 100% sure on that price, might be $26.97). Sure, you might be able to beat those prices by ordering in bulk online but depending on how the sales tax works out versus ordering online and paying shipping, it might wash out. One kind of ammo I buy a lot of there is the Federal AutoMatch .22 LR. It's $13.47 for 325 rounds and I've had one failure in my semi-auto .22s out of a couple thousand rounds of it. Spent case failed to extract all the way, could have been the rifle. Hard to beat for bulk ammo at a reasonable price. It's more expensive elsewhere. I have five or so boxes on hand and will keep stocking up on it.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
This past week at the local WM I picked up the following ammo...

.45 Auto, Federal "Champion" 230gr. FMJ...2 boxes of 100 rds. each @ $29.97 per

.357 Mag. Remington "UMC" 125gr SJHP...1 double stack box of 100 rds @ $49.97

I was real pleased with the .45 auto deal :)

This WM is consistently hit or miss with their ammo selection and pricing. I just happen to catch their Sporting Goods dept when they actually had something to sell and had a salesperson behind the counter to take the money. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
i'm not buying any 357 but as much as i hate to admit it, i'm buying most of my ammo (22, 9mm, 12ga) at walmart these days.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Ammunition seems to be going up in price at walmart and there is also more duds then ever...:mad:

·
Registered
120 Posts
I havent bought one lately but my local Wally World had the Federal Lake City XM855 420 round "armor piercing" green tip on stripper clips for I do believe it was $149 last time I got one. It has been a while I think they went up some since then and they dont leave them out on display anymore. You have to ask for them.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
I've found that my local gun store is about the same price for 38 Special as wally World.... I do save a few bucks on the 357 though

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I find that Walmart sells their ammo at about 10-15% cheaper than anywhere else I've seen. I don't bother with on-line stores because of the shipping and the wait. I usually pick up 22lr, 9mm and shotgun shells. One store clerk who works the ammo counter tells me they get three ammo shipments a week. Seems like the 22lr goes out as soon as it comes in though.

·
Registered
152 Posts
i luv gettin ammo from walmart but their shelves are usu empty when i go. all they got is 12 ga birdshot and .22 lr 525 packs(in orlando anyways). GL

·
Registered
414 Posts
Most brick and mortor retailers would be hard pressed to be wally worlds prices even when they have a sale going on a particular brand of ammo. Occaisonally it does happen though. The biggest problem I find with wally world as they dont often have much of a choice and they move so much inventory you got to really be on with the timing to catch it on the shelf.

I do buy most of what I dont reload there and if I catch a good sale, I will absolutely clean off the shelves buying everything they got!

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
At my Walmart this weekend. The Remington 125gr 100 pack of 357 is $47.99. Up a dollar from when I bought it last in early spring. They had 4 boxes. Didn't price check the rest. They had a stockman there and I could tell he wasn't real interested in giving me multiple price checks. You get the service you pay for. That is my real problem with Walmart, they just don't seem to want to win my loyalty in the firearms department.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I try to buy my ammo from the local mom and pop LGS. Help out the local economy first, and I really don't mind the buck or two extra. Helps keep their doors open, and they remember the "regulars". Go in about closing time and they don't charge me sales tax on a box of ammo, which has happened more often than not.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I've bought the 158g Federal soft point 357s and really like them. The 125g Remington 357 have completely sucked for me. Several misfires with those.

I'm about to start reloading for 357 when I get the motivation to change up my 38 dies and take the time to document how H110 meters in my powder measure.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts