Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its getting hard to come by around here, the guy that did the transfer of my rifle said he had a few boxes of 500 to sell me at about 37.00 a box, he said that it was the ammo made in Mexico which was the best because they had the most accurate up to date equipment. He didnt have it their in the store but at his house so I need to go back and get it when he brings it in.

He also told me that it was from the early 2000s ( unless I misunderstood )

Alot of people nowadays are looking for a way to stick it up anyones *** so I googled shelf life of ammunition and it said 10 years but can be more.

Its 22 rounds, cant remember the manufacturer. He said it was special ammo used for target practice, I guess its made in batches to a higher level of quality? I dont care about that since Im not a pro but its all Ive found avail in a large quantity of 500 per box.

Guy seems super decent but I have to ask, is he trying to stiff me? Is there a date on the box of the ammo that I need to check?

Thanks

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,713 Posts
I shot off dozens of .22 lr rounds labeled Sears Roebuck on the box, from the late 60s. Stored in a humid building, too.

They keep fine unless they get wet and begin to corrode. The ammo you mention should be good.

Glad, however, that I reload all my centerfire rounds.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I shot some 30+ year old cci stingers recently. All went off no problem.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a crap ton of cheap, non-brand, 7.62x39 from about 1993 that is my emergency backup ammo. Hopefully that goes bang when it needs to!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
It's Aguila ammo, decent stuff and possibly worth the price. I've used 40+ year old .22 ammo with no issues. Kept out of heat and high humidity it's fine.

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
461 Posts
It's all about how well the ammo's been stored. If it's been kept dry and not exposed to large temperature swings, it'll shoot just fine.

The best ammo I have is some Winchester 40gr CPRN made in the early 70's. It's got a bit more power than CCI Mini Mags, and is very consistent shot-to-shot. ZERO duds, and it burns very clean. Beautiful stuff - not at all like what they produce today.

Before you buy, just check the lube on a few rounds - especially if they're not copper plated. I've seen some old lead rounds that the lube had dried, cracked, and flaked off of. Major barrel leading problems with that stuff. If the lube is okay, buy only what you need to see you through. Almost 7.5 cents per round seems quite high. I usually buy Federal 550 round boxes at Walmart for around $20. They haven't had any for a couple months now, but I have a pretty good stock pile.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Properly stored, ammo shelf life is measured in decades, not years.
Yep, should be. I'm gonna be testing the limits on this. I recently found a full box of 8X57 JS while clearing out my dad's house. It's for my bolt-action Mauser rifle - and he must have purchased that ammo shortly after he bought the rifle for me, back in 1967. :eek:

We'll see!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yep, should be. I'm gonna be testing the limits on this. I recently found a full box of 8X57 JS while clearing out my dad's house. It's for my bolt-action Mauser rifle - and he must have purchased that ammo shortly after he bought the rifle for me, back in 1967. :eek:

We'll see!
I got some 8mm ammo from WW2. It shoots just fine. Never had an issue.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Ammo Shelf Life ?
Dad gave me a Walther P38 he mail ordered in 1961 from Klein's along with several small boxes of ammo dated 1944 , one box was half full . In 2017 I shot 25 rounds through the P38 at the range .... they all fed, fired and ejected with no problem and gave a decent group .
That's 73 years old ammo . Ammo and gun were stored in Dads sock drawer , next to bed in the house . I honestly believe the other ammo is totally viable and if the ammo is of a decent quality to begin with and the storage condition proper I see ammo lasting at least 75 years ...if not 100 years .

Example...Here in Baton Rouge a load of sand was delivered to a house under construction, workman shoveling the sand discovered a Civil War Cannon ball.
He rolls it off to the side and keeps working. Owner get worried and calls police about what to do with it .
Not solid shot but hollow shot with a fuse that had not gone off .
I thought it would be a dud ...but the bomb squad couldn't defuse it so they ignited it and the darn thing exploded...just like they expected .
Now that shell had been in river sand , exposed to the elements and water for 155
years ! It was probably from the river siege at Port Hudson , La. ...the river has shifted and now sand is dug from the areas . Not in Port Hudson battlefield but down river a ways . So don't let old ammo fool you .
Gary

·
Registered
903 Posts
Last year a mechanic was cleaning out his father's gun cabinet.He gave me about 1500 rounds of 22lr.The cci brand had Kmart price tag of $3.88 for 100 mini mags. The Winchester and Remington brands were 50 loose stacked in each sleeve. Some had a little corrosion on bullets all went bang.

·
Premium Member
13,867 Posts
It should be fine!

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Properly stored, ammo shelf life is measured in decades, not years.
I agree 100%. Properly stored, close to indefinitely. I still have 22LR bricks I found stored from back in the 60's-70's ($4.98 a brick) from Pamda when they still had a store here. They all go bang. So do the 12 guage shells and other calibers.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I shot a box of government .45 ammo dated 1943 a couple months back. Not one issue. It had been stored in a .50Cal ammo can since I was a kid!

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
I shot a box of government .45 ammo dated 1943 a couple months back. Not one issue. It had been stored in a .50Cal ammo can since I was a kid!
Back in the days all the surplus ammo we bought came in military sealed ammo cans in wooded crates. Always thought that was a nice "freebee". Military Surplus Stores always had tons of them in stock and usually on sale for a buck or two, even bulk sales now and then. Glad I bought tons of them over the years. Also great for watertight storage and could take a beating. They also stack very well for all ammo storage.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts