Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,
I recently purchased a new Mini 14 and needed some ammo for it. I jumped on the Freedom Munitions site on 9/7 (a Friday) to order some and bought 250 rounds of .223 FMJ. I got the shipping notice on 9/11 (a Tuesday). It should be here on Wednesday. Pretty long wait time. I was a little disappointed, but I'm not in a huge rush. While I was waiting, I grabbed a few boxes of miscellaneous ammo from a local shop and found some I liked that was fairly cheap. I found it even cheaper on Ammunition To Go and ordered 200 rounds on Friday, 9/14 at about 9pm. I got the shipping notice today and the ammo will be here on Wednesday.

I found it pretty amazing that they could get the ammo shipped out in a single day and on top of that, they can have it to me in just 2-3 days versus the Freedom Munitions timeframe of 2+ days to ship and then 6-7 days in-transit time.

If you guys are in the market for some bulk ammo, definitely give ATG a shot. They ship quickly and have really competitive pricing.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

EDIT: I was buying steel-cased ammo from ATG and brass from Freedom. Big difference. Still, the shipping is significantly quicker from ATG, but their prices are more on brass stuff. If you're looking for steel ammo, go with ATG. If you want brass, go with Freedom. I got my order in from them today and I gotta say that right out of the box, it looks good. I grabbed a few from each of the 5 boxes I got and found no blemishes or anything that struck me as odd.

So... For Brass, go Freedom. For Steel, go ATG or even SGAmmo. But, I think because of where Freedom is located, you might wait an extra day or two for transit times, depending on your location as well.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••​

Sorry if I was misleading originally and I'm sorry if anyone thought I was bashing Freedom.

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just ran 200 or so rounds of the 9mm 115 gr. Blaster through the Ruger LC9 and although it had no operational issues, it is the DIRTIEST ammo on the entire planet. I was covered in unburnt powder. I showered and still smelled of gun powder. NOT GOOD AT ALL.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I bought 500 rounds of Freedom's 380 "new" ammo and find it great.
Runs well in my Sig P238, Walther PPK/S and Ruger LCP. I don't find it excessively dirty.
Shipping is a little slow so I order well ahead when I need some.

·
Registered
815 Posts
freedom munitions generally ships to me on the same day i place the order. They had a huge labor day-week sale going on, and the ammo i bought that day did take a day for them to process. i assume they were slammed.

haven't checked the prices versus ammo-to-go, but the freedom munitions ammo is as good as any "brand name" factory ammo out there.

of course, if you want the cheapest, get the .223 tula steel-cased from SGAMMO, which is $207 per 1000 plus shipping, which still makes it cheaper than just about anywhere else.

·
Registered
815 Posts
just checked ammo to go's prices versus freedom munitions and any insinuation there is any competition in price there is ridiculous. Freedom sells .223 blaster for $299 per 1000, plus shippping.

There's nothing on ammo to go that even comes remotely close to that, and frankly you'd do better by going to walmart than shopping ammo to go.

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
just checked ammo to go's prices versus freedom munitions and any insinuation there is any competition in price there is ridiculous. Freedom sells .223 blaster for $299 per 1000, plus shippping.

There's nothing on ammo to go that even comes remotely close to that, and frankly you'd do better by going to walmart than shopping ammo to go.
You're right. I probably should have clarified. I was buying the steel case stuff. Which I know is always cheaper than brass case stuff. I actually received my order a little early from Freedom Munitions and I have to say that I'm quite pleased with the quality. They package it well in boxes of 50, which is great.

For steel ammunition, ATG has really great prices and it appears that SGAmmo is even slightly better. For brass stuff, go with Freedom, but make sure you order well in advance because it could take a little longer.

My Mini 14 runs really well with steel ammo and I can use it at the range and the farm (some ranges don't allow steel-case ammo). Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't differentiate between the two. There is a pretty significant price difference though (which is to be expected).

Sorry if my post was misleading, guys. I also meant no ill-will against Freedom and will continue to purchase ammunition from them in the future.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Original post edited for clarity. Thanks funkymonkey for pointing out what I missed.
no problem--the bottom line is this--now is the time to be buying your ammo! I look at the stocks at SGAmmo and they are burning through it.

I've had no problem with the steel ammo in either the 14 or the 30. of course, no problem with brass, either. some folks claim steel is problematic, especially in ARs--but check this out:

Wolf Ammo Demonstration - YouTube

·
Registered
279 Posts

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
good luck with steel cased ammo in Nj. Every public range I know of bans it not due to law but due to the possibility of steel core projectiles being used.

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah. There's an indoor range an hour away that won't allow steel case ammo, but I usually shoot at the family farm or out at an outdoor range that I'm a member of and I can shoot steel or brass or solid gold, if I want to.

What is steel core ammo? Is that just steel bullets instead of lead? Sorry for my ignorance on this. Just haven't heard of it before.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Yeah. There's an indoor range an hour away that won't allow steel case ammo, but I usually shoot at the family farm or out at an outdoor range that I'm a member of and I can shoot steel or brass or solid gold, if I want to.

What is steel core ammo? Is that just steel bullets instead of lead? Sorry for my ignorance on this. Just haven't heard of it before.
yes, the steel core ammo is a bullet that is steel instead of lead--it can harm backstops in indoor ranges since it is harder. some ranges will put a magent on the bullet to check, some assume any steel-cased military surplus ammo is going to have a steel core penetrator bullet in it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts