1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
WOW, just WOW!

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Is it just me, or does the collection seem more like a typical gun store or pawn shop?

Most collectors I know with inventory like that have fewer common guns like this guy and more "special" or unique guns. Had some nice ones for sure, but that collection seems to have more quantity over quality.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Collection

Is it just me, or does the collection seem more like a typical gun store or pawn shop?

Most collectors I know with inventory like that have fewer common guns like this guy and more "special" or unique guns. Had some nice ones for sure, but that collection seems to have more quantity over quality.
I'm with you, there isn't really a 'theme' in that collection...but then I look at my own collection (albeit not anywhere near that size!) and I guess I really don't have a theme either...although most of mine are rimfires, I also like Ruger #1's, 1911's and SAA's. So, I'm thinking this guy just liked guns and I'll bet he walked into gun stores and just bought what he wanted. Very impressive collection and a pile of compound bows too!

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Googled his obit. General surgeon for 40 years. 8 kids, 43 grandchildren.

My question is where did he find the time???

·
AT1(AW)
1,234 Posts
30K+ manufactured rounds, 30K hand-loads, and 1 reloading press!

·
Registered
16,989 Posts
He was ready for whatever came his way. I wonder if these are just what's left after kids and grandkids got theirs.

·
Registered
9,168 Posts

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
Incredible collection.
I'll bet most were fired very little -- unless he spent a lot of time working with his grandkids.
And GJ is probably right.
The family already got the prime picks of the collection.

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
Honey, I'm going to go to the range and shoot all of my guns at least once. I'll be taking the tractor trailer and be home in about a month. :eek:

That was some collection.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Lots of everything , bows, fishing rods and reels. I bet there are a bunch of knives out there too. Auction says "ITEMS MAY BE ADDED OR DELETED" Means some things will be pre-sold. Agree all those kids and grandkids probably got some things too. The man was a Sportsman First Class.

GB45

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
holy heck! though some of the earlier comments come back to mind: doesn't really seem to be a collecting theme exactly, and if he's just walking into a store and buying what he wants, great. but that number of firearms, not with a specific collector's purpose? like planeguy said, when did he find the time to shoot them? i'd have to wonder if he ever even got out to shoot with all of them. on the one hand i'm jealous, on the other, i'm scratching my head a little. i think if i magically came into a collection like that, i'd separate out the actual collector's items, decide which to keep and which to sell, and same with the others: pare it down significantly and keep the things i'd be most interested in actually using. that whole collection must be worth many hundreds of thousands if not more... still, WOW!

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Man that there is what being an American and living free is all about. I hope he got the chance to enjoy shooting every one of those. And I get the feeling he probably wasn't married :D My wife would flip if I had that many.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
A whole lot of stuff there but, I don't see any real quality. All are pretty standard hunting rifles and the handguns are pretty basic items. With all the bows and fishing equipment it looks like a great deal of repetition. To me this looks more like a sporting goods store liquidation rather than a private collection. What do I know though? The good doctor might have been a psychiatrist with OCD driving him to duplicate everything. ;)

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,313 Posts
I believe we're underestimating him.

"Most handguns come with a holster or clip holder hand sewn by Dr. Wayment"

Interesting!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts