Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For years I've come home from shooting and immediately stripped every pistol or rifle to clean.

Because the SR's are piston rifles just what sort of cleaning procedure do most of you guys use?

In the past I clean the barrel, remove the piston and clean that then wipe the bolt off.

Is it necessary to clean the piston every time?

I wouldn't NOT swab and clean out the barrel so, that's out of the question.

Both of my SR's are Frog Lubed.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I suppose if I had thought that question out I would never have posted it.

No matter what, I can't put a pistol or rifle away without cleaning it. Just isn't right.

Sorry for the dumba**ed question folks.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I don't have an SR but I come from a time and place where if you use it when done you clean it. My mini gets the full treatment after every use.

·
Banned
2,566 Posts
I have had my SR556 for 2 years now, it's only had a full strip cleaning once, I'm trying to choke it and it won't. I just field strip it every 2-3 range trips and if needed add a little frog lube and it just keeps on ticking. Getting close to 4500 rounds through it now. That is some very good lube. I have now treated every gun I own with it.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have had my SR556 for 2 years now, it's only had a full strip cleaning once, I'm trying to choke it and it won't. I just field strip it every 2-3 range trips and if needed add a little frog lube and it just keeps on ticking. Getting close to 4500 rounds through it now. That is some very good lube. I have now treated every gun I own with it.
Frog Lube is some pretty darned good stuff! When I got the SR I spent some time really cleaning the piston - bright and shiny! When I cleaned it after this last shoot I wiped it off with a microfiber cloth and it was as clean as a whistle.

I think that's what I was trying to ask originally. You really answered the question Falcon II.

PS. Like your graphic! Do you have the original in your files? I'd love a copy to have printed up so I can put it on the truck.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Interesting. I read two types of frog lube reviews. Great and terrible. Nothing in between.

Some folks talk about it gumming up and eventually "baking" and flaking.

Others just love it.

I have not tried it, as I have always had good service from gun oils and greases.

·
Registered
420 Posts
The secret to success is everything in moderation. If you use frog lube or any other grease, less is better than more. Over lubricating a firearm may cause it to get gunned up. The extra lube is just a dirt and crud. Magnet.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The secret to success is everything in moderation. If you use frog lube or any other grease, less is better than more. Over lubricating a firearm may cause it to get gunned up. The extra lube is just a dirt and crud. Magnet.
That's the truth!

The first pistol (a stainless steel S&W .357) I did with FL I went with the feeling that "if a little is good . . . ". Several weeks later I took it out and it was sticky and the trigger had a 'lag' to it.

So. I got out my trusty heat gun and heated the little devil up! Once heated I took the microfiber cloth and wiped it down, although, there wasn't much to wipe. I continued to heat it for a bit then stuck it back in the safe.

Took the same pistol tot he range a few days later and it was just fine! The trigger action was as smooth as could be, there wasn't any stickiness to any part of the weapon and, when I got it home it cleaned up like new. The burnt powder stain that usually gets on the front side of the chamber face came right off clean.

That is why I am a Frog Lube fan.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I've got a Stag 8 (piston gun). I cleaned the piston works once. It was dirty so I cleaned and put it back together dry with only anti seize on the threads.

Properly applied FL would have been ok and a good idea too. The rest of the gun is FL too. All of my pistols and my other AR is FL. As near as I can tell, all of the bad stories about FL are caused by improper application.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts