Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Exchequer
4,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we're now two months -give or take a week- into being homebound due to the pandemic and it is official: I'm bored out of my skull.

But really, that's my only complaint.

My wife and I are very fortunate. She remains employed and is working from home, I've picked up some sporadic work to make a couple of bucks here and there, our retirement savings were not as badly hurt by the market downturn as I had originally feared they would be, and I'm slowly going through boxes from the garage and selling stuff on eBay

There's food in the freezer and the pantry is well-stocked. My wife and I are healthy. My nearly 17-year old dog is doing as well as can be expected.

I've had plenty of time to catch up with old friends and associates, I've gotten in many miles on my bike rides, and I'm seeing more and more wildlife in our area. My butterfly garden is going gangbusters, I've completed almost all the honey-do projects around the house (the exception being that the garage is still full of junk), and I have a couple of job prospects that I hope will come to fruition soon.

So, as this pandemic continues to run its course, I have to take time to count my blessings and know that, while things ain't perfect (of course, they never are), we are better off than many and have much for which to be thankful.

My best wishes to you, my fellow Rugerites, and your loved ones. Mask up, glove up, and gun up.

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,418 Posts
So glad to hear that you are well. My wife and I are still working. She works from home, and I still go to work. We are fortunate that things have not been bad in our county. Stores, restaurants, and salons are opening up and people are going back to work. Hopefully things will be improving for all my forum friends.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Glad to hear hlg and ngashooter are doing well. I know there are many that aren’t. My family is fortunate in that my wife and I are still working as we are both “essential.” I am 39 so I am not even bothering to look at my retirement and investment accounts. I don’t need the money and I am not retiring any time soon so no use driving myself crazy with that. And to top it off, I live under Whitmer’s reign in Michigan so I consider myself lucky.

I hope everyone is doing well and weathering the storm well enough and that we are all back to work and moving back toward normal sooner rather than later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
225 Posts
It's nice to hear how others are getting on in spite of the present distress. Glad that you folks are well. Not many covid cases here in Maine as compared to a lot of other places. I feel blessed to live where I do. There are only 2 cases in the county where I live.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Since we are old and retired this hasn't had great effect on us (individually) in NH. My wife has never been convinced that planning or being prepared were worth her consideration so we generally have little food on hand. Being the self-proclaimed queen of after holiday shopping we do have more candy than anyone could consider healthy.
Deaths have been rising here (but still on the low side) along with confirmed cases (probably because testing has only recently become widely available), last I knew our death total was occurring about 80% in nursing homes, not that that is less tragic but we don't know anyone there. I do not know anyone who has/had Covid-19. One friend's older brother got it and died in a MA nursing home but to us it remains more a concept than a part of our lives other than watching the news and business' being largely closed.
Best wishes to all.

Bruce

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
Well said ... i have been fortunate to be able to work from home for the last two months or so. This is the first week when I am required or asked to work in the office two days out of the five. The staff is split 50-50. The book keeper iss here on mondays by herself. My wife is barely working but we are holding on but starting to feel the pinch. I'll take the pinch verses the body slam alot of my fellow Buckeyes are experiencing. We are in this together and together we'll get out of it.

·
Registered
673 Posts
We're fortunate as well, here in Philadelphia. We're nowhere near as affected as my sister in NYC.

As a support contractor to "Big Pharma" (you know, that evil entity that up until now, everyone hated and accused of just being in business to gouge folks for meds :rolleyes: ), I'm still working and able to do so from home. Mrs. Aqualung works from home too, but on different projects and we're not in each others' way...and surprise surprise, even after 25 years of marriage (this past Wednesday), we don't get on each others' nerves.

Financially, not much has changed for us because I'm still fully working. I normally don't check my IRAs and 401K, and purposely haven't checked on them.

A lot of the unrest we expected here in the City never occurred, as I do believe that as much as I hate the mayor's and governor's politics, they're doing the best they can. Regardless, I've got Fort Aqualung locked down and armed up and ready to repel besiegers if necessary...

Some of PA is starting to get back on its feet, but Wolf has stated all along that Philly and the surrounding counties will be the last to open...but that makes sense, because it was those areas that were (and probably still are) the epicenter of PA's exposures.

As for knowing folks affected, a family that attends my old church in Jersey actually figure they all had it back in December, but recovered. A close friend or coworker of the son returned from a business trip to China. Soon after, a disabling flu ripped through the entire family, the son's parents, in-laws and kids (except for one "tween" daughter) were all in bed sick (high fever, the works) at one point or another. Of course, no one was looking for it then, but after testing came out, one of the family got tested and was shown to be positive.

I think the biggest thing that's bothering us is the fact that there is such a challenge to just go out and get stuff. We saw where in order to get stuff to fix our garage roof, we needed to stand in line for at least 2 hours at Home Depot because of their limiting capacity to 50 people at a time (we didn't...we left and ordered online, but it's still delayed, just to get to do curbside pickup). Same with shopping for groceries...and now item limits.

We're not at risk of running out of anything, as we've got several full freezers and stocked pantries...but even so, you do eventually run low on certain things. And we try to shop for my parents if we go out. God bless my wife, as she's done most of the shopping during this "adventure".

Of course, there's the constant drumbeat of "HOLY CRAP...WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!" in the news...It's hard to filter through all the crap when you know that every information outlet has one agenda or another that has has absolutely nothing to do with providing useful information to actually help us...

Keep healthy, Safe and Sane...

Aqualung

·
Exchequer
4,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since we are old and retired this hasn't had great effect on us (individually) in NH. My wife has never been convinced that planning or being prepared were worth her consideration so we generally have little food on hand. Being the self-proclaimed queen of after holiday shopping we do have more candy than anyone could consider healthy.

Bruce, if you have any fruitcake leftover from your wife's post-Christmas shopping spree -send it on over. Apparently, I'm one of the tiny minority that actually likes the stuff! 😋

·
Exchequer
4,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As for knowing folks affected, a family that attends my old church in Jersey actually figure they all had it back in December, but recovered. A close friend or coworker of the son returned from a business trip to China. Soon after, a disabling flu ripped through the entire family, the son's parents, in-laws and kids (except for one "tween" daughter) were all in bed sick (high fever, the works) at one point or another. Of course, no one was looking for it then, but after testing came out, one of the family got tested and was shown to be positive.
Interesting that you mention that in your post. Last week, my wife reminded me of some serious "grunge" that went through her office - sickening almost 70% of the employees. One of them is a young woman who NEVER misses work - yet she was laid up with a high fever and serious flu-like symptoms for two weeks. That happened before Christmas.

I think when this is all over and more info/research comes out, we're going to find that the virus was here in the US well before it was officially termed a pandemic. We shall see.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,761 Posts
I tend to agree this was going around a lot earlier and before anyone really knew what to call it. I wouldn’t be surprised if it already went through our family back in late Feb/early March. We all had many of the symptoms to varying degrees over a period of several weeks. We’ve held up well economically by being able to work from home and supplies have been adequately available and improving. More irritated by the media narrative and the COVID warriors than anything. We have been very fortunate - many others have lost their jobs, their businesses and have their backs up against the wall financially.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,761 Posts
Oh and can I get in on the fruitcake? I like the stuff but won’t pay the prices they fetch in the stores around Christmas. My Mom made the best fruitcake growing up and I miss it around the holidays.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Bruce, if you have any fruitcake leftover from your wife's post-Christmas shopping spree -send it on over. Apparently, I'm one of the tiny minority that actually likes the stuff! 😋
I love fruitcake, especially the ones from Corsicana, Texas.

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
We are both retired but my wife was lured back to teaching highschool computer science, business and other stuff on a part time business, but she has been doing so from home via ZOOM, and various other methods. We get out for food, fuel for our vehicles, and to get meds as most of us old folks do. We drive 40 miles north to visit our daughter's family every now and then but maintain the six foot distancing. We both had the flu for a long while last spring and I wound up with pneumonia so we are taking all this very seriously. We wear masks everywhere and expect others to do do. We have been relatively fortunate here in Oklahoma. Gov. Stitt is trying to start things back up by allowing churches, restaurants, barber shops and beauty shops and a few other non-essential businesses to open back up, but keeping an eye on increased cases of the China Virus (that's what it is as far as I am concerned) to see if he should put the kaibash on things again. We have some nuts that want things to go back to pre-China Virus conditions but they are truly foolish. We are going to practice physical distancing and wearing masks through the end of June, at the least. Hopefully everything will work out for us all.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Your story is similar to mine but im in Australia state of Victoria,, we are under what called stage 4 lock down essential travel only for food work school shut no more than 2 in group social distanting etc etc

Im still working even busier than before dear wife is home looking after 97 yold MIL and our dog is 17 year old too.
I / we weathered this covid bug thing ok and im even picking up 1/2 price shares trade enjoying low price fuel and commoditys..
My list of chores " honey do" is much shorter but i cant ever see the end of it
Im missing the shooting range and the club mob there and bowling & sailing and catch up with mates but it all for a good end and OZ is not suffering much oh the country economie is stuffed and will be for years.. but we too count our blessings

Huh & just today i cleaned out the garage its nice to get it in order swept out rats rubbish dust

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,669 Posts
I am blessed to be able to live on a farm and have many projects. I’m not a social person, so I enjoy the quiet and isolation.

I’m getting to restore an old car, reload ammunition, work on our garden, and get some projects done in this unseasonably cool May weather that otherwise would have me sweating and cussing. I can shoot on my property, and fish under our lockdown rules. The only thing I miss is going to a restaurant, as I do not like shopping except at the grocery store.

Not everyone has those advantages, but find the ones you can and enjoy the time you have. Life is very short.

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
2,830 Posts
Glad so many people doing well here.

I’m able to work from home and adjust my hours, so if I need to go to a store on a weekday morning when nobody is there, I can. I have three years worth of projects around the house and have doubled the size of my vegetable garden so no boredom for sure.

I had a really bad “flu” in March after a work trip to Philly, and several people in the office had traveled internationally in February (one of whom also had a very bad flu-like illness) so I just paid the $120 out of pocket for the serology test out of curiosity. My insurance may pay if I submit it, but whatever. No results back yet. I’d love for it to come back positive, on the presumption that some antibodies are better than none. I know it’s a shot in the dark that it was actually COVID. I’m giving myself 5% probability as a wild guess, but better than lottery odds and that doesn’t stop some people from buying lotto tickets.

·
Premium Member
13,801 Posts
Retired early last year and after a few months missing the 'posse' drove me to get a part time job at a local gun store 2-3 days a week. Left for Florida 12-31-19 and came back March 1 this year then the poop hit the fan. Have not been back to the store since and will not return until our tyrant removes the stay at home order. God is so good to us in that we own a home on a nearby small lake and getting that open for the summer has been a blessing. I have reloaded all the 9mm I will need for a year or two and getting ready to do some 45 ACP. Oh and bass fishing has commenced in earnest and the honey-do list gets longer and longer every day. I do miss the kids and especially the grandkids tremendously though.

·
Premium Member
1,203 Posts
I was happy to go back to work Monday as our guv decided to let golf courses re-open throughout Pennsylvania.

Post retirement I've been working as a Starter/Golf Cart Attendant at a local resort. Typically when golfers drive into the lot, I drive a golf car out to the them and load their clubs on it. Then I'll return to the Starters podium in-between comings and goings.

The new rules require me not to handle anyones golf clubs or put score cards and pencils on the golf car. Tips from doing these things are worthwhile because it's a min. wage type job. Some folks are not tipping as I'd expect, but many others are tipping more than usual. That made me feel great as I've been tipping quite a bit more every time we pick up take out at the local eateries.

·
Premium Member
2,631 Posts
I've been away from my Michigan home since mid-December 2019. Been in Florida/ North Carolina. Just got back into Michigan a week ago..been holed up at my daughter's place and will be heading to our place Monday. It'll actually be nice to get back to my workshop and my happy acres, getting out on my own shooting range. I haven't been out since the end of March. Chasing the heat of the golden orb is okay, but it's at the sacrifice of one's comfort zone... and especially this year as everything has gone so topsy turvy. I've got the honey do list caught up at my sister-in-law's in N C and at my daughter's...time to head home for some me time and welcome isolation.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Oh and can I get in on the fruitcake? I like the stuff but won’t pay the prices they fetch in the stores around Christmas. My Mom made the best fruitcake growing up and I miss it around the holidays.
I love fruitcake, especially the ones from Corsicana, Texas.

I am afraid that we are all out of luck on the fruitcake. My mom (who wasn't much of a cook truth be known) used to make a killer fruit cake from her mother's recipe. 30 - 40 or so years ago my wife got the recipe and learned to make it, once a year on Christmas Eve (my birthday). Even though she was among the 'don't like fruit cake crowd' it came out really well. Mom and grandmother are long since gone and in 2017 our pipes froze, leaked, filled the house with mold (we were camping in FL) and everything was thrown out by the cleanup company, including cook books and recipes. So now all I ever see are the little, inexpensive ones. They are hardly the same but beggars can't be choosers. I don't know if they don't show up in the 'after holiday sales' or if she just isn't looking, will have to remember to ask!

On the 'life as we now know it goes on' front, not much is different for us.
We did get to experience today's 'telemedicine' recently. We stopped off at some friend's dairy farm on the first of the month. I was talking to one of the brothers (owners) about fishing and his recent (just before the pandemic) ankle replacement, when the other brother mentioned 'feeding the babies' my wife had to go down in the barn to see the calves. The story becomes unclear as to how she face-planted onto the concrete or how many of the crew it took to get her back on her feet. She wandered back up to our truck and it was time to start milking so everyone else went back to work. She mentioned getting home and getting ice then mentioned the fall. Had there not been so many witnesses I could probably be sitting in jail on domestic charges, come Saturday morning she looked to have come out 2nd in a bout with George Foreman. On Tuesday she was dizzy and nauseous, by Wednesday I finally convinced her to at least call the Dr's office, several calls later she had an 'appointment' to be called by the Dr covering for the day (from home, or somewhere...). He called a half hour late, dropped the call at least 4 times on his cell phone and decided that it might be from a concussion, or something else.... and that he would call back on Friday to see how she was doing. We haven't heard from him yet but by Saturday she was back to feeling pretty 'normal', although still swollen and 'colorful' around both eyes. I have to guess that anything not Kungflu related isn't a priority right now.

Bruce

1 - 20 of 20 Posts