Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening all. With the summer months and warm weather, I don’t typically wear a sport coat to church. I’d appreciate any feedback on who ankle carry’s and what pistol/holster is most comfortable and concealable.

Initial thought is the LCP or LCP2. I’ve also seen some suggestions for a Taurus 738 TCP.

Thank you in advance for any perspectives you can provide.

Reactions: mark40

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
I have many Ruger firearms (first one was an M77 30-06 bought in 1980) so I find I have many more Ruger than any other brand, but consider a Beretta Pico. It is a stout, tiny firearm, with an integrated laser (assuming still made) as long as 380 works for you. For revolvers, go Ruger.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Many moons ago when I was a young Patrolman, I carried a Charter Arms “Off Duty” model .38 Special on my ankle as a backup gun. It was small, reliable and I didn’t care if it got banged up. It had a coated, black finish. A mini 9mm or small .38 Special revolver should suit you needs. Good luck!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have carried several different guns, years ago, in an ankle rig, mine was from Galco. A Colt mustang .380, a Llama .380, and a Grendel P-12 .380. A foot pursuit changed all that, it beat the hell out of my ankle, something to keep in mind.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Church is where I ankle carry. Always wear a long sleeve shirt & tie without a sport coat so it works well for me in this scenario where you're seated most of the time, whereas it's usually pocket carry for me.

Have my LCR in a RItchie Leather Co. Ankle Holster. Prior to this had an el cheapo nylon ankle holster just to try out the concept. Once ankle carry appeared viable for me in the church scenario, went ahead and spent the money on a high quality product.

·
Registered
252 Posts
One of the reasons I like my 43 is the short 6 round magazine when I ankle carry. This is especially true if the cuff is not loose. When there's a little extra room the 7 round magazine works just fine. The holster is a DeSantis and is very comfortable. I've worn it to a few wedding receptions and even danced with it on and it was very secure.
43 6+1.jpg
43 7+1.jpg

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,571 Posts
What’s minimum leg opening to make it work?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I use a Galco ankle glove with the upper calf garter. Normally either a j-frame or a Walter PPK/S. Special note: I’m usually seated whether in the car, at home, or in the office, so an ankle holster is convenient for me. Works fine with straight leg jeans.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Good evening all. With the summer months and warm weather, I don’t typically wear a sport coat to church. I’d appreciate any feedback on who ankle carry’s and what pistol/holster is most comfortable and concealable.

Initial thought is the LCP or LCP2. I’ve also seen some suggestions for a Taurus 738 TCP.

Thank you in advance for any perspectives you can provide.

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
I can see that ankle carry would work well for you at church. I'm not a big fan in most scenarios. When I worked undercover, I tried a Smith Model 60 a few times, but it is the world's slowest and most awkward draw if you're not seated. As in any case, being armed is always better than being unarmed.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,571 Posts
Any suggestions for pants brand?

As a church usher, I choose to have outerwear like a vest, long sleeve shirt or sport coat and it solves my problem.

Reactions: 28Decoys

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you for everyone’s responses! I may have to visit the local range and see what they have for rental based on some of the recommendations.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
One of the reasons I like my 43 is the short 6 round magazine when I ankle carry. This is especially true if the cuff is not loose. When there's a little extra room the 7 round magazine works just fine. The holster is a DeSantis and is very comfortable. I've worn it to a few wedding receptions and even danced with it on and it was very secure. View attachment 155863 View attachment 155864
ScottMn,

That looks like a secure holster. Does it get hot in the summer?

·
Registered
252 Posts
ScottMn,

That looks like a secure holster. Does it get hot in the summer?

It has a lambswool backing so it is going to trap some heat. IIRC, most of the ankle holsters I looked at had some kind of backing to protect your shin. I've never noticed that it was "hot" when wearing it even when active but I don't wear it every day either. I use it when my IWB tuckable Vedder won't do the trick when I'm planing on being very active with kids etc.... in a public place.

You'll want your pants to sit down on top of your shoes rather than just touch in order to cover the holster when seated. Another option is to pull your sock over the holster. I never liked this option as it really impedes access to the gun. I've never felt the need for a garter to hold the holster up.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
My experience is that any gun that is small enough for ankle carry works better in a pocket holster. I get the idea of drawing while sitting, but remember you don't know the particulars of any defensive situation. You are never going to outdraw an attacker. The best you can hope for is an opportunity to draw quietly while they are not paying attention to you. Having tried it, the only way I see ankle carry working for me would be with boots.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts