Ruger Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watching '70s movies, I thought it was cool. But, is it practical?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think it could be practical in like two ways.
1. As a back up to your primary.
2. Maybe you are in a situation where that is the only way to carry.

I personally wouldn't because bending over and lifting pants up and then trying to grab a gun isn't exactly the most efficient when it comes to speed and ease of access

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
I have chosen not to primarily because I can pocket or IWB carry the majority of the time. Silverex's suggestions make sense to me. I think there can be a time and a place for it. I just do not care to bend over and pull a pant leg in order to engage my sidearm.

I have a friend, however, that regularly carries a S&W Bodyguard 380 on his ankle. Hey, if it works for him and it means he is carrying, then how can I be against it?

Certainly looks cooler to ankle carry, right? ;)

·
CARSON-WEST - 2016
6,784 Posts
I tried it. Didn't like it. You'd need a holster that fits your ankle/calf extremely well and tight, and also hold the gun extremely tight. Otherwise, you feel something wiggling on your ankle with every step. Drove me nuts. Not for me.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Like Neon Horse, I have never tried it. Just seemed like it would be uncomfortable and awkward. If I can't conceal IWB, I just pocket carry an LCP.

·
"The Real Deal"
8,584 Posts
In the summer while wearing jeans, or when im dressed up, shirt tale tucked in etc. I wear a ruger lcp in a uncle mikes sidekick holster on my ankle. I get less printing that way, and sometimes its just more comfortable. Its almost impossible to tell im carrying with boot cut jeans. I find it more easily accessed when im driving than a waist holster. It seems they shine in that role. Its also more easily concealed if your wearing a uniform. I have carried everything from a glock 19, a gp 100, an naa mini revolver, and even a desert eagle 50ae, under a coat with a shoulder holster in winter, and the ankle holster is by far a top choice for me.:D

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
I've worn a rig like this with a 442 Airweight for the better part of 20 years. I forget it's even there. Can't tell you how many panic attacks I've had in airports thinking I still had it on my ankle....

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the comments. The reason I asked was that I've been practicing with a IWB for my SR9C and while I can live with it, I thought it's far from perfect. Maybe, I should get a LC9 instead and a better holster.

First time I saw someone ankle carry was the Popeye Doyle character with his revolver:

·
"The Real Deal"
8,584 Posts
Thanks for the comments. The reason I asked was that I've been practicing with a IWB for my SR9C and while I can live with it, I thought it's far from perfect. Maybe, I should get a LC9 instead and a better holster.

First time I saw someone ankle carry was the Popeye Doyle character with his revolver:

I personally like the lcp its a small but effective ccw, not much difference between the 9mm and 380acp but muzzle velocity a few feet per second, they use the same bullets .355 as well. Matched with ftx or critical defense bullets they are formidable. The uncle mikes sidekick holster has a rentention strap, and stays well in place, no chance of losing it. I use one, and so does my other half. They lc9 would probably work equally well, I just haven't gotten one for my collection yet.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
I think it could be practical in like two ways.
1. As a back up to your primary.
2. Maybe you are in a situation where that is the only way to carry.

I personally wouldn't because bending over and lifting pants up and then trying to grab a gun isn't exactly the most efficient when it comes to speed and ease of access
Bingo! These are the two reasons I'm slowly looking for an ankle gun.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
I'm right handed and I carry inside my left leg, makes getting to it easier and the bulk is hidden even further...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I occasionally carry a 642 on my inside left ankle. The holster is part of a stretchy band with velcro so you can make it as tight as you want. It does not flop around and after 15 minutes you barely notice it's there.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I have one and very, very rarely ever use it.

I normally wear boots (both cowboy and work type) and it doesn't work well with them. It is impossible to wear above the boot unless you are into the baggie jean craze, I am most definitely not. Normally if I am wearing sneakers and my boot jeans, it can work. About the only time I wear regular shoes is the summer time and usually have on shorts or go IWB. If I am in a situation where I need dress pants, I don't care for it as the dress type tend to ride up just enough when I sit that it makes me nervous about exposure. These are the times that I wear my 5.11 undershirt. That is great for conceal but does take more time for access if the need arose.

Long way of saying that if your gun is small enough, your pant leg long and wide enough, and you wear regular shoes, you may like it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts