Ruger Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made this annealing machine from an old ammo can. I use it when I make my .300 blackout brass from 5.56.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Machine tool Wood Gas

Here it is in action (minus the torch)

·
Registered
8,394 Posts
I’ve seen that design before, it seems to work pretty good. My question would be does it have a variable speed motor? Ideally I need close to 8 seconds to anneal my brass, (Hornady).

As far as going from .223 to 300 blk….are you annealing prior to resizing the .223’s, prior to reforming them to 300 or both? Since brass is at a premium I’d probably anneal twice, but that’s just me.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ve seen that design before, it seems to work pretty good. My question would be does it have a variable speed motor? Ideally I need close to 8 seconds to anneal my brass, (Hornady).

As far as going from .223 to 300 blk….are you annealing prior to resizing the .223’s, prior to reforming them to 300 or both? Since brass is at a premium I’d probably anneal twice, but that’s just me.
Yes, it's a variable speed motor hence the controller you see in the video. I got the motor and controller on Amazon for 20 bucks or so. I do the annealing after I cut the brass down. For that, I use my lathe with a collet chuck and a special stop I made for the tailstock to set the brass into the chuck at the proper depth.

·
Registered
8,394 Posts
I’ve done the same for my 6.5 CM……take a .243 case and cut it down to 1.940, size it in the 6.5 F/L die and your case comes out at 1.920.

Reactions: UtahPrepper
1 - 4 of 4 Posts