Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

Has anyone tried the loads listed in Linebaugh's article "Dissolving the Myth"

Linebaugh's Custom Sixguns - The .45 Colt - Dissolving the Myth, Discovering the Legend

Specifically, those listed in the chart for a 260 gr cast bullet? Even more specifically those for unique and 4227?Lyman lists the max load for ruger only loads at 10.2, Mr. Linebaugh takes it up to 12!?!

Not going to lie I am thinking about touching off a few...

·
Registered
397 Posts
I've read his article and find his loads to be a little on the hot side.

Personally I use the Missouri Bullet Co 255gr SWC with 12.0grs of HS-6, and 22.0grs of H-110.

That's a little lighter than his personal loads listed at the bottom of that article.
His recommended loads were just a little too much for me.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hear ya, the loads listed definitely seem overly stout. I have explored several loads with 4227, unique, and 700x... but none quite as strong as the loads he lists.

One of these days I am going to bite the 200 dollar bullet and grab 8 lbs of H110 from an on-line source; just harder for me to go bulk like that rather than 20-25 bucks a pay check buying a pound at a time (none of my local sources have had H110 in years)..... Sadly no one in my area seems to stock anything but 1 lbs'ers in any pistole powders either.

Anywho, I am waiting for a transfer bar to come in from Ruger. Once it does I'll post results... if I end up working loads up to the max listed.

- Yellowseven

·
Registered
5,732 Posts
The load I use from the Linebaugh article (and Brian Pearce) is 13.0g of HS-6 under 255g SWC. Works well in both my medium and large frame Ruger .45 Colt revolvers and is my woods load. The highest load with 4227 for me is 20g 4227 which is an excellent load ... again safe in both revolver frames. Unique, I've loaded 9.0g as max.

Most all the loads in the Linebaugh article is for the large frame .45 Colt Ruger revolvers only. Don't load them in your New Vaquero or flattop.... Stay sub 23K in the medium frame!

FYI, in your reloading manual, there should be a section called Ruger Only Loads. You should find comparable loads there (again large frame only).

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey 4clark,

Thanks for the input, i also really enjoy the 20 grns of 4227 over a 255 lswc.

The picture above is the lyman data listed in the contender & encore section. Which is why i found it interesting linebaugh lists lyman's max as his starting load...

I plan to use a ruger blackhawk 7.5 inch barrel to work up to Linebaugh's max. May not get there, surely wont make them the norm. But might as well try...

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
... and i only pointed that out in case someone comes across this and thinks that it is from the regular load data section.... it is not. The above data is only for large frame revolvers, and really careful reloaders!

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
I'm just an old sissy here with arthritis...Been shooting the 45 Colt for many years and just can't handle the big stuff any more..got a box of stuff I loaded years ago with 300 grains and a big fat metplate...can't recall the powder or charge right off hand but about once a year I pull out one or two to remind me why I shoot soft lead and Trail Boss these days..I think they are right in line with the Linebaugh loadings...be really careful in that arena..it's not for the "adrenalin crowd" that doesn't have the proper firearm.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I hunt with my Ruger Blackhawk. It is a 45 LC and has a 9.5 custom barrel. I lived in Ohio where you hunt deer with either a shotgun or a pistol. I don't shoot black powder so primitive weapons are not an option for me.
My usual hunting load is a 240 to 260gr JHP bullet and a charge of W296 powder. The charge is between 24.0 to 26.1gr and Federal large Magnum pistol primers. I employ a heavy rolled crimp.
W296 powder was developed for the 30 carbine. It has characteristics similar to H110. I have taken deer with the pistol at ranges up to 100 yards. Shooting this load is interesting, the recoil raises the pistol a bit and the muzzle flash produced is very noticeable. When I shoot at the range, it draws attention.
I have been using this load since the early 1980s the the Ruger has shown no ill effects. The reloading manuals stress not to go below 23.0 gr. I have pachmayr grips which allow me to get a good grip.
When I first started using this load there was a lot of concern about the 45 LC cases being weaker than 44 Magnum cases. I bisected a couple of 45 LC and 44 Magnum cases to look at the Web area and found them to be the same. Apparently the original 45 LC cases used in the 19th century were constructed much weaker as they were designed for black powder.
I suppose I could load cast bullets weighting up to 350 gr with a lighter powder charge using different powders. At the time I started using this load, I wasn't into casting my own bullets.
Having moved to a state that allows both pistols and rifles for deer hunting, I don't hunt with my Ruger as much as I use to. I still take out to the range a few times a year.
As for case life, I still have a few of the original cases and would say that have been reloaded at least 10 times. I inspect each fired case and discard any suspect ones.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ve shot plenty of 260 grainers on top of 10 grains of unique, love the performance, the first rou ds of my shoot today were this round at 25 yards off hand: I loaded a few rounds at 10.4, 10.6. 10.8, and 11. Enjoyed the shoot and certainly wont be going any higher.

Another load I enjoy is 20 grains of 4227 under the same 260 grain bullet. I shot a couple cylinders full at 24, and 24.5. Holy moly was I surprised at the recoil! Those were real thumpers, much more than even tbe 11 grains of unique

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ve shot plenty of 260 grainers on top of 10 grains of unique, love the performance, the first rou ds of my shoot today were this round at 25 yards standing / unrested
I loaded a few rounds at 10.4, 10.6. 10.8, and 11. Enjoyed the shoot and certainly wont be going any higher.

Another load I enjoy is 20 grains of 4227 under the same 260 grain bullet. I shot a couple cylinders full at 24, and 24.5. Holy moly was I surprised at the recoil! Those were real thumpers, much more than even tbe 11 grains of unique

1 - 10 of 10 Posts