Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This cracks me up just thinking about it.

It was another day at the rifle range. A bunch of young Marine PFC's and LCpl's with mischievous natures in common. We had all heard the stories and seen the damage done by some degenerates...shooting porti-john's, ammo cans, and other such mischief while on the firing line. Most of these legends of the range had reportedly been busted. We had a field fire going on so nothing was going to be scored. Once the rangemasters and coaches were out of earshot I came up with a proposal. "Look, if we all shoot something different they can't catch anyone 'cause they'll never figure out who did it." Amazingly, this idea was met with great optimism, and we hurriedly assigned targets and fields of fire before the next round of fire. When the call came out to fire, the entire landscape of the range seemed to erupt in accurate, destructive fire. The porti-potty's erupted with a fan of blue haze, ammo cans danced around, concrete stairs and benches erupted in plumes of dust and debris...and we all erupted in laughter at the spectacle of it all.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Sounds a bit like a crock to me-and not of leprechaun's gold, either--in the Marine Corps of my day, the range Gunney wore a .45-and was the King---if we'd have had a stray-much less the above scenario-we'd still be picking up chips and running the perimeter and doing PT-the range was one place you didn't ---- around-still is, in most of our opinions... now, fess up-you ARE pulling our legs a bit?????

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I couldn't make this stuff up. This occurred in Camp Pendleton sometime in 1997. The rangemaster was up in the tower and there were a few range NCO's watching over us. We were fairly fresh out of SOI at the time on our first qualification course outside of boot camp. The range was all abuzz over it for some time...the range NCO's would huddle together trying to find a way to get info out of us. I laughed at one and told him that I didn't know who did it, but they had some serious skillz to be able to hit all that all at once!

One of the guys later during pre-qual took a pot shot at a Buffalo when on the 500 yard line that was about 700 yards out. The animal didn't even flinch. We got away with a lot of crap. I was lucky to have only been busted-down once!

It became a common occurence during night-fires to blow up the berm with rifle-fire to cover the Marines manning the targets below with dirt. The next time at the range they started using score cards and counting shots for all field fire events.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I told my son who's SURE he's in the reserves to learn to fix aircraft that he'd better pay attention to every facet of training for if it's necessary they'll yank him and put a rifle in his hands...and he'd better be trained well-I'm bad about playing more than most but the range ain't the place-guess I'm an old fuddy-dud but I'll play elsewhere and encourage others who want to live to be fuddy-duds to play elsewhere, too...just my not too humble hard-headed opinion....:(

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I been thinkin' all afternoon-BUFFALO in Ca? I know the place is a zoo and they got lots of aminals out there along with fruits and nuts, but a real live shaggy-headed BUFFALO----sure it wasn't a WM out there lost??????

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It may have been a Bison...I don't know. I just know it was big black and hairy animal.

I was a 3 time rifle and 2 time pistol expert. I could shoot well when asked to and if it's not for points I have a good time at it. The pistol range was a different situation altogether...very strict and ran very professionally. I once left an empty mag in a holstered pistol after being given the command to clear and the entire range operation was froze right then. I never made another mistake.

There are live fires where you're shooting around, between, or over people. Those I took seriously...but the field fire at the range was truly a joke IMO, and some of us treated it accordingly.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
WMs were like that, too---you guys were using the 9mm Beretta? How did you like it? I fired 226 with the M14 pre-qual day---only 208 qual day---I'm not much of a consistent rifleman...we went to the M16 in ITR and I hated it-heard the troops in Iraq have been requesting M14s (M1As) too-.223 ain't cutting it against the long-barrelled camel guns....heard the gov't has been buying .45 and looking for bids-anything of that when you were in? I was in boot camp in Aug 69, and I don't think we fired the .45 at all-used it on guard duty later but they were old rattletraps...sounded like new Rugers!!! What is your opinion of the porting on the P89-is it Magnaport?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, some of our WM's were like that, too. There were a few rare lookers, though. Sometimes the average do start looking good if you've been isolated from the world for a while.

Yeah, we used the M9's. I didn't like them much. I have thick hands and my finger had a hell of a reach to the DA trigger. Single action had a ton of slop and overtravel...but still a little better then the stiff M16A2's. They are all really accurate out of the box and totally reliable as long as you use original Beretta magazines. I had heard of some slides cracking or breaking but had never witnessed it first hand. We did have an M-16 blow somewhere on the range during each week long range outing.

M-16's are great. They are very accurate, but I can see how there could be little faith in a varmint cartridge at longer ranges. I was always amazed at how well they printed at 500 Yards. For a CQB weapon I think it's ideal. Definitely not a rifle I'd wanna drop in the mud, though!

At the last range qual I got Marksman. I was on my way out of the Corps and didn't want to re-shoot. My worn-out rifle had trigger pins that would walk out every 20 rounds or so and render it inoperable. I would punch 'em back in with an empty mag. The upper and lower receivers had so much slop that the sights would be at a different point of aim when the hammer struck during dry-fire! I thought about using an accu-wedge but didn't want to risk a disqualification. If I had known that my discharge papers would've shown a pizza box I would've re-shot!

I was normally up near the hi-shooters with the rifle but barely made expert with the pistol. The trigger reach in DA really hurt my scores. I'm a better pistol shot than rifle, otherwise.

They've supposedly been using updated 1911's in MEU(SOC) units continually since 1986, but the unit I was in for my last couple years was MEU(SOC) qualified and I never saw one personally. I've never heard who definitively won that bid, either. The only M-14's I saw were on Navy ships to shoot guide lines to other vessels.

The P89 has an EFK FireDragon extended barrel. It also has their dual-action recoil spring. The pistol was too short to fill the 'ol issue gear so I went for it. It does make it softer shooting and the fit is much tighter than factory. The wife loves it, and I enjoy blasting away with 20rd mags. The difference in accuracy was huge, too.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Was the comped bbl. drop-in or did it take fitting? I kinda like that look---and I'd like the reduced recoil-they don't like the word snap who like the 9 but it snaps more than the .45-it kinda shoves a little but the easier of the two on follow-up for me...I almost bought a .45 Cougar but that loooooooong reach to the DA trigger stopped me, too...I like to hug up on my trigger and I could barely first-joint that one...Know what you mean about looking good after no wimmen---a Lt. WM-blonde- passed me on the way to the PX one day and I was a-gapin' bigtime-she said "Don't you salute officers, Marine?!!!" If only she knew!!! Most of them were yarddogs back then...I don't know where they assigned them but I never saw another after boot camp...times have certainly changed...and the quality of women in the armed forces today is much higher...they've found a place to excel and be recognized-that old pay-em-less and keep em down ignorant attitude is almost gone-I still shudder to think of them in combat, though...they're better at giving life than taking it...I laughed about your old rifle....seems the Marines are still getting the short end on supply----they taught us we could win the battle with nothing but our mindset and power---then that's about what they gave us to do it with---the old worn-out stuff noone else would have!! Hard to remember the M16's been around 38 years- we got 'em in ITR---cried for my M14 back---no comparison...they told us to wash the M16 was a court-martial offense but they'd better pass inspection-every rifle in the company took a shower that night-every one passed, too!!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I believe the barrel was a drop-in fit. It was so long ago I can't remember. The hood may have needed some work, if I remember right. Drop in rarely means drop in, for some reason.

When we first started seeing more WM's it was considered taboo to talk to them. "You'll get written up for sexual harrassment!," was always the warning. Sure, making unwanted passes at anyone will get you in trouble, but I met one or two WM's who were real sweet hearts. There was also one Navy Officer on ship who always gave me a huge smile on one deployment. I'm sure she knew what I was thinkin'! I believe in equality myself. Women tend to be more analytical and do some jobs better than men. Of course, if you just need stuff destroyed, that's another story!

I was amazed at the condition of some issue gear. We fired several Vietnam era TOW missles and some of those just took off into the horizon!

I recall those weapon cleaning days. People tried every trick imaginable. Oven cleaners, Gun Scrubber, anything people could sneak by. I had a few oh-crap moments hurriedly piecing together machineguns, pistols, and rifles that were taken down well beyond a field strip!

I really like M-14's. I'm tempted to sell my M-16, Remington 700, and Mini-14 and build a M1A/M14 SOPMOD replica.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts