Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's usually nothing funny about gang shootings, especially since they seem to have an uncanny ability to hit innocent people while missing each other. Last night was one of the few exceptions....

The initial call, from the police/fire dispatcher, was "...shots fired, possible drive-by shooting..." That was followed by "...car into a pole, possibly related to the drive-by shooting..." I finished my coffee and walked out to the ambulance ramp to await the inevitable.

A few minutes later, the on-scene ambulance radioed that they were en-route with a male with a gunshot wound to the face. This got my attention, since there are a lot of important things in and behind the face that can get in the way of a speeding bullet. In about five minutes, we could hear the siren, which is never a good sign, since ambulances usually don't use the siren on the way to the hospital unless the patient is in critical condition.

We had the ambulance doors open almost before it came to a full stop, helping the paramedic unload the patient, who was laying on his side with blood running out of his mouth. In seconds, he was in the trauma bay and I was unwrapping the bandages to see what we had.

What I found were two holes in the man's cheeks - one in each cheek; his tongue was swollen and bleeding profusely and there were tooth fragments all through the mouth. His tongue was already swollen enough to make it hard for the man to breathe, so I intubated him to keep his airway open. His blood pressure was stable and there weren't any other serious injuries, so I sent him off for a bunch of x-rays.

By that time, two deputies had arrived to keep an eye on our patient; since he was sedated and paralyzed, they had time to talk.

As we had suspected, the situation started with two gangs "beefing" with each other over "turf" (and pretty poor turf it is). Two gang members were driving down the street when they saw an opposing gang member with whom they had "issues". The passenger in the car drew his weapon and fired three shots through the driver's window as they drove by.

I'm guessing that the shooter was tracking the would-be victim as he fired and at some point the muzzle ended up pretty much in contact with the driver's face. I imagine that getting shot in the face distracted the driver enough that he lost control and crashed.

And for more good news... nobody else was hit.

Jim

·
Registered
388 Posts
Wow. Did you have another similar story where the passenger shot the driver through the top of the car?

The gene pool of these gang members must be stagnant.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
As Forrest would say "stupid is as stupid does"

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,336 Posts
My wife's asking why I'm laughing :D

·
Registered
98 Posts
Cities with gang problems should offer free shooting lessons for gang members. They would solve several problems and clean up the city at the same time.

·
Banned
2,657 Posts
Well, that's one way to get rid of a sore tooth.

·
Banned
9,381 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Too bad we waste our time and tax dollars giving them medical attention. And the dumb a$$ politician think these people are going follow gun control laws?

·
Registered
6,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow. Did you have another similar story where the passenger shot the driver through the top of the car?

Yep. Some day, they may figure out that having the passenger shoot to the left, across the driver's position, isn't safe. I suspect, though, that safety isn't a big concern for them. In fact, consider how safe it is to fire a gun with the muzzle within inches of the driver's head, even if you don't hit them. I think having someone blaze away right next to my ears would cause me to lose focus on my driving.

Cities with gang problems should offer free shooting lessons for gang members. They would solve several problems and clean up the city at the same time.
When I was in my residency on Chicago, I suggested to the City Council that instead of midnight basketball leagues (a popular idea at the time) to reduce gang violence, that they should have midnight pistol ranges, to reduce the number of bystanders hit. Sadly, the City Council never took up my idea.

Does this mean that the other gang gets control of the "turf"?
I'm not sure exactly how that works.

Jim

·
Registered
6,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Too bad we waste our time and tax dollars giving them medical attention. And the dumb a$$ politician think these people are going follow gun control laws?
Just to emphasize the point, the shooter in this incident was a convicted felon and not allowed to possess a firearm. The driver/victim was on probation and one of the requirements of his probation was "no association with known gang members".

Clearly, expecting criminals to obey the law is nonsensical.

Jim

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Just to emphasize the point, the shooter in this incident was a convicted felon and not allowed to possess a firearm. The driver/victim was on probation and one of the requirements of his probation was "no association with known gang members".

Clearly, expecting criminals to obey the law is nonsensical.

Jim
I'm trying to think if you've ever related one of these stories where the shooter wasn't a convicted felon.

I wonder in the seconds between shooting and pole contact if the other guy had time to get out "oops, my bad"? :)

Yet another good story!

·
Registered
6,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm trying to think if you've ever related one of these stories where the shooter wasn't a convicted felon.

I wonder in the seconds between shooting and pole contact if the other guy had time to get out "oops, my bad"? :)

Yet another good story!
There have been a few where the shooter wasn't a convicted felon, but not typically in the gang shootings. The gang members rack up the felonies so fast that most of them have one by the time they're 19. Remember, too, that it counts as a conviction even if they get probation or a suspended sentence. A lot of these guys, especially here in liberal Western Oregon, have two or even three felony convictions before they ever see the inside of a prison.

New gang name - "Mumbles".
As of today, he's still not mumbling. The bullet going through his tongue caused a lot of swelling and he's still got the "breathing tube" in place, which keeps him blissfully silent.

I'm going to have to ask the deputy what sort of car he was driving - I tried to figure out the geometry of shooting from the passenger seat out the driver's window and it just won't work in my Subaru. I also wonder if the shooter was using the "gangland standard" grip (pistol held sideways, ejection port up); that would mean the recoil would move the muzzle toward the driver's head.

So many questions.....

Jim

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
I'm going to have to ask the deputy what sort of car he was driving - I tried to figure out the geometry of shooting from the passenger seat out the driver's window and it just won't work in my Subaru. I also wonder if the shooter was using the "gangland standard" grip (pistol held sideways, ejection port up); that would mean the recoil would move the muzzle toward the driver's head.

So many questions.....

Jim
You think tooo much Jim. Just write it off as a good day for a Darwin Award and be happy.. :rolleyes:

Seriously though , all smart a$$ comments aside, you must get REALLY TIRED of seeing this kind of meaningless stupid crap everyday. Your doin a job i certainly wouldnt want. My hats off to you my friend.

·
Registered
48 Posts

Stagnant isn't the problem: there's not enough Chlorine….

1 - 20 of 26 Posts