1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Dog Soldier
1,782 Posts
I guess he got excited. Should have gone thru some senecios before gunning up.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
What a maroon! The most basic principle of armed self-defense is that you ONLY employ a form of lethal force if someone is in immediate danger of death or serious injury; this applies EVEN IF YOU ARE FIRING A WARNING SHOT.

Having a purse "snatched" does not rise to the level of "immediate danger of death or serious injury" unless the perps are trying to strangle the purse owner with the straps.

One of the many reasons I don't support routine use of warning shots (there's always the possibility of a situation where one might be appropriate) is the fact that you, as the shooter, are responsible for each and every bullet you launch. Even if you fire straight up, there is always the chance that it will seriously injure or even kill an innocent bystander when it returns to earth.

Jim

·
Banned
308 Posts
What a maroon! The most basic principle of armed self-defense is that you ONLY employ a form of lethal force if someone is in immediate danger of death or serious injury; this applies EVEN IF YOU ARE FIRING A WARNING SHOT.

Having a purse "snatched" does not rise to the level of "immediate danger of death or serious injury" unless the perps are trying to strangle the purse owner with the straps.

One of the many reasons I don't support routine use of warning shots (there's always the possibility of a situation where one might be appropriate) is the fact that you, as the shooter, are responsible for each and every bullet you launch. Even if you fire straight up, there is always the chance that it will seriously injure or even kill an innocent bystander when it returns to earth.

Jim

I agree and add that in some jurisdictions (like Las Vegas) the entire city and is a "no shoot zone". You can carry but if you discharge a firearm, you've committed a crime. Not to mention the crime of brandishing a firearm by unholstering it and displaying it, even of not fired. Also unfortunately for the shooter, a purse snatching or fleeing criminal does not warrant deadly force. Once the threat has ended, the reason is gone.

Radio George

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
I strongly disagree that this reflects badly on those that legitimately CC.

It . . DOES . . reflect badly on one flaming idiot!
I sincerely hope that LE "throws the book" at this idiot and his permit
is not only revoked, but PERMANENTLY revoked! :mad:

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
The shooters last name wasn't Blart, was it. :D

·
Administrator
22,143 Posts
I agree and add that in some jurisdictions (like Las Vegas) the entire city and is a "no shoot zone". You can carry but if you discharge a firearm, you've committed a crime. Not to mention the crime of brandishing a firearm by unholstering it and displaying it, even of not fired. Also unfortunately for the shooter, a purse snatching or fleeing criminal does not warrant deadly force. Once the threat has ended, the reason is gone.

Radio George
I disagree. I think an attempted purse snatching is a violent crime and if the person resists (in many cases even if they don't) then the are physically beaten, stabbed or even shot. Now I don't carry a purse but my wife does and if someone goes after that I am in fear for her life and the gun is coming out. If the gun does come out it will likely be two against none in court.

The just give them you wallet mentality is a antigunner response. Robbery is a crime and instructions to just submit are misguided unless you are certain you will die (e.g. someone with a gun to your head) if you don't.

Having said all that, the only warning shot should be center mass. Either you were in fear for your life (or another) or the gun stays in the holster.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
I disagree. I think an attempted purse snatching is a violent crime and if the person resists (in many cases even if they don't) then the are physically beaten, stabbed or even shot. Now I don't carry a purse but my wife does and if someone goes after that I am in fear for her life and the gun is coming out. If the gun does come out it will likely be two against none in court.

The just give them you wallet mentality is a antigunner response. Robbery is a crime and instructions to just submit are misguided unless you are certain you will die (e.g. someone with a gun to your head) if you don't.

Having said all that, the only warning shot should be center mass. Either you were in fear for your life (or another) or the gun stays in the holster.
It's hard to find any fault with that...

·
Registered
26 Posts
A question for ya's.
I was always a built kind of guy who backed down from no one for a good reason. Well father time has kicked my *ss. Now over weight and went from bench pressing 350lbs to barely 110 in just 3 years, also have a pacemaker/defibrillator keeping the heart going and a few other blood disorders. So a good chest punch or altercation and I'm pushing up daisies.
I'm confronted by some thug who is threatening me and will not let me walk away I pull my carry gun because I can no longer defend myself physically like I once could. Do the rules change?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Had a good friend whose face was bashed in and broken by a purse snatcher...came up from behind her and grabbed her purse. Automatic reflexes had her grab her bag as a defense. He beat the tar out of her until she realized to let go of the bag...ended up with broken eye socket and nose...

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
The only way someone may get a "warning shot" outta me,,,,

is if I miss the 1st shot. ;) ( which aint likely. ).

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
A question for ya's.
I was always a built kind of guy who backed down from no one for a good reason. Well father time has kicked my *ss. Now over weight and went from bench pressing 350lbs to barely 110 in just 3 years, also have a pacemaker/defibrillator keeping the heart going and a few other blood disorders. So a good chest punch or altercation and I'm pushing up daisies.
I'm confronted by some thug who is threatening me and will not let me walk away I pull my carry gun because I can no longer defend myself physically like I once could. Do the rules change?
I am in the same boat, 2 years with a pacemaker/defib, only 30% whatever they call it. I can never get the name right.

That is a factor in reasonable fear of death, or great bodily harm so I would react differently today then I would 40 years ago when I was at my peak.

I still would not shoot, or even draw for a purse snatching, though I would try to be as good a witness as possible. Plus I only carry to protect my family, and myself, not to be a hero. There are people who are paid to do that.

NOW if the victim was armed, and in fear I have no problem with them using lethal force to defend themselves. The responsibility for ones safety, belongs with the one.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts

Since this is your opinion, it is neither right nor wrong.

However, to state that the "just give them you [sic] wallet mentality" is an anti-gunner response is indeed wrong - unless, of course, you deem the NRA to be "anti-gunner". In the NRA "Refuse to be a victim" course, students are indeed taught to surrender a wallet in lieu of being assaulted. Of course, this is only if the student failed to heed Rule #1 - avoid the robbery by situational awareness. In addition, in more then one defensive firearm's course (including several attended at Sig Sauer Academy), a "decoy wallet" was suggested as a means to quickly end a robbery. However, I do agree with you that one should be prepared for Step 2 (i.e., shoot to end the attack) in the event the robber is unsatisfied with his "bounty" and/or the psychopath merely gets his jollies by escalating the robbery to an assault.

See also, Refuse to be a Victim class offers many tips on safety | The Daily World

·
Administrator
22,143 Posts
A question for ya's.
The rule I go by is if you are in fear for your life. I'm 68 and take a blood thinner for A-Fib so a blow to the head could cause a bleed that causes a stroke or even death. It doesn't matter IMHO if the bad guy knows it or not you do and you fear for your life. You may have to convince a jury of that but it boils down to the old adage "carried by 6 of judged by 12". If you can't retreat without harm then stand your ground and do your best to survive. As to mano mano that's in the rear view mirror.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
I find it bothering that with few facts some almost become antigunners.Kind of the same folks that assume if you have clean and legal shoot they'll get you because you have reloads. Gun rights people have some of our worse enemies among us. And before I get lectured I am working 62 years on this rock and raised by a great law enforcement officer and grandpa was a judge. I am so glad I live in southern Missouri where we have little of the liberal hand wringing.

·
Administrator
22,143 Posts
Since this is your opinion, it is neither right nor wrong.

However, to state that the "just give them you [sic] wallet mentality" is an anti-gunner response is indeed wrong - unless, of course, you deem the NRA to be "anti-gunner". In the NRA "Refuse to be a victim" course, students are indeed taught to surrender a wallet in lieu of being assaulted. Of course, this is only if the student failed to heed Rule #1 - avoid the robbery by situational awareness. In addition, in more then one defensive firearm's course (including several attended at Sig Sauer Academy), a "decoy wallet" was suggested as a means to quickly end a robbery. However, I do agree with you that one should be prepared for Step 2 (i.e., shoot to end the attack) in the event the robber is unsatisfied with his "bounty" and/or the psychopath merely gets his jollies by escalating the robbery to an assault.

See also, Refuse to be a Victim class offers many tips on safety | The Daily World
Trying to put a twist on what I say is wrong. At no time did I imply the NRA was anti-gun that was simply your juxtaposition. Further I frankly don't care what the NRA says about someone attacking me. I only care about surviving and if I believe the best way to do so is the shoot the perp then so be it. A total of 33 states now have stand your ground laws and at 68 years old I consider any robbery a life threatening experience and will react accordingly. If a bushel of experts disagree with me then that is their opinion as well. I don't really care.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts

While a purse snatching MAY lead to physical violence it is that physical violence - not the purse snatching - that would justify deadly force. In the same fashion, car theft isn't a justification for deadly force, but carjacking - where the threat or use of violence is used to steal a car - is.

A question for ya's.
the laws surrounding use of deadly force address what's known as "disparity of force", which allows a person being attacked by a larger, stronger, younger person to use deadly force even if their attacker is not using a weapon. The whole thing revolves around the "reasonable person" standard: if a "reasonable person" in the same circumstances would feel that they were at risk of death or serious injury, they are justified in using deadly force.

Jim

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.