Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I got some good news today, I got a free gun coming to me!

My dear old dad called me today and told me that next time I was out to bring an extra long gun case. He was talking to one of my Grandpa's freind (Gramps died in '82) the other day and was given a gift. Turns out the freind had bought a model 12 16 gauge off Gramps in '64. Grandpa had only had it a few years before he sold it off.

Any ways Gramp's freinds told my father that he wanted my Dad to have it seeing how his grandkids would just sell it off.

Dad said the stocks a little ruff, and the recoil pad has been changed, and the blueing is a kinda wore (it was kept in his combine to shoot pheasents with) but that the action is still very solid, and it points like a champ. Anyway, I think this one will look real nice next to other model 12's in the cabinent. And I have never shot a 16 gauge before. Might just have to have this one redone. I think Gramps would of liked that.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
To be blessed with a mdl 12 in 16ga!!!! And that its coming back to its family is great.
I am a big fan of the 16 ga. Around here though, shells can be hard to find. I tend to stock up when i need them.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I have a Model 12 16 gage on lay away right now it once had a polly choke on it but the shop owner cut it down to make it a nice little travel gun with a nice carrying case. Its set me back 4 bills but heck figure its worth it. The shop owner carries 16 gage, and since there is not that big a differance between a 12 and 16 the bad guys aren't going to know what hit them other than they hurt real bad.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Model 12's are a class act.

The 16 GA is a definite class act!

You'll luv' it when you shoot it. Th' sixteen is my guage of choice whenever I get the opportunity to bird hunt. Usually use a stevens SxS, or an 870 or....a model 12 with an adjustable poly choke.

Shop around for ammo...it's usually kinda high...not as bad as 28 GA, but high enough. If there's a Wal Mart or some big chain that sells SG shells, you should periodically find field loads on sale for $4.25-$5.00 per box ( low brass ).

You're right about BG's not knowin' th' difference...used a 16 w/18" bbl when I first got into LE...nobody was picky then and, heck, it was already in th' family AND I couldn't afford to "upsize" at that time...so I "made do" for a spell...

It's only fair to warn ya', tho'...sixteens are ADDICTIVE!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts