Ruger Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
It will be interesting to see exactly what magazines are compatible with this new rifle. Also of interest to some users will be the cross-compatibility of 5.56-based AR components/accessories, such as trigger groups, selector/safety levers, and so on. I am assuming that the charging handle is sized such that a 5.56-based AR charging handle will not fit. Time will tell.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Owning a much-modified DSA StG58A FAL, I don't see any reason for me to rush out and buy the new Ruger item.

I'm certain that there are many folks not in my position that will differ, and more power to them.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I'm not in a position to know if this sort of thing is peculiar to the SFAR, or whether it is simply Ruger being hypercautious--a common behavior on their part in the past.

The nearly identical safety warning appears on Pg 22 in the latest on-line version of the Owner's Manual for the Mini-14:

"The Mini-14® Ranch rifle fires from a
closed bolt. Sustained firing can create
excessive heat in the barrel and can
cause “cook-off” of ammunition (heatfiring of the cartridge in the chamber).
This “cook-off” can occur a substantial
period of time after firing has ceased.
Always unload the firearm immediately
after you have finished shooting"

It's perfectly reasonable safety advice; any loaded firearm can "cook off" given enough rds shot through it rapidly enough. IIRC, George Patton and Dwight Eisenhower were nearly killed when a machine gun cooked off while they were walking downrange from it.

IDK if the chamber on the SFAR is "thinner" than "normal". The barrel has to have a certain amount of metal to withstand the pressure of a fired ctg. With some exceptions, barrels are not usually made any heavier than they need to be.

My GUESS is that it's Ruger being very cautious. I could be wrong, though. Following the advice given by Ruger is probably the safest thing to do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts